XPO | Cartage trucks

XCCX

TB Legend
Credits
How many cartage trucks is Xpo using a day at your barn in the P&D operation. We are using 15 to 20 everyday now and some days more. We have been for 2 months.

How many cartage trucks is Xpo using a day at your barn in the P&D operation. We are using 15 to 20 everyday now and some days more. We have been for 2 months.
None. We tried "Mothership" for roughly a week and quit using them on orders from corporate.

Too expensive according to corporate - the same corporate that told us to use this cartage company to save money.

Imagine that.

None. We tried "Mothership" for roughly a week and quit using them on orders from corporate.

Too expensive according to corporate - the same corporate that told us to use this cartage company to save money.

Imagine that.
They have to be spending a ton on it. We hired 1 or 2 guys last month but I’m not sure if they both are still here. That’s been it . We néed 12 guys but outside of an add on the corporate site there hasn’t been any other effort that I’m aware of. Mean time the customers suffer from poor service. Caralstat and Cinnaminson Nj. Handle about a 1/3 of our daily also.

They have to be spending a ton on it. We hired 1 or 2 guys last month but I’m not sure if they both are still here. That’s been it . We néed 12 guys but outside of an add on the corporate site there hasn’t been any other effort that I’m aware of. Mean time the customers suffer from poor service. Caralstat and Cinnaminson Nj. Handle about a 1/3 of our daily also.
In our case ( a smaller terminal ) there wasn't much advanced notice ( a day or so via email ) and it was for a specific purpose: liftgate freight

I think we were told the cartage drivers were receiving $300 a day. No idea what was paid to the cartage company. Going to their website shows the driver has to provide permits , insurance , vehicle and fuel. $300 a day.

In our case ( a smaller terminal ) there wasn't much advanced notice ( a day or so via email ) and it was for a specific purpose: liftgate freight

I think we were told the cartage drivers were receiving $300 a day. No idea what was paid to the cartage company. Going to their website shows the driver has to provide permits , insurance , vehicle and fuel. $300 a day.
We are hearing the truck owners are getting $750.00 a day . No matter what is delivered or not . It’s hard to get any details out of the drivers . 100% of them are from North Jersey/ New York City area . They do not speak English for the most part . They are loaded between 12:00 and 14:30 in the afternoon. They get a very late start . They usually bring back most of what they take out . If they do deliver freight we usually don’t get the paperwork back . Most of them have worked or still work as contractors to Xpo last mile .

With all this being said Xpo does not put in any effort to Hire drivers at our facility which is what we need desperately. We are not providing our customers the level of service that they are paying for.

We are hearing the truck owners are getting $750.00 a day . No matter what is delivered or not . It’s hard to get any details out of the drivers . 100% of them are from North Jersey/ New York City area . They do not speak English for the most part . They are loaded between 12:00 and 14:30 in the afternoon. They get a very late start . They usually bring back most of what they take out . If they do deliver freight we usually don’t get the paperwork back . Most of them have worked or still work as contractors to Xpo last mile .

With all this being said Xpo does not put in any effort to Hire drivers at our facility which is what we need desperately. We are not providing our customers the level of service that they are paying for.
On top of everything that's been mentioned , every XPO driver asked: How do outside contractors ( cartage companies ) do exceptions?

What happens if these outside contractors give bad service in XPO's name?

There was no answer , because , apparently nobody thought that far ahead. ( Or corporate management simply doesn't care about these "minor" details.

I'm sure using mothership is cheaper then hiring and retaining our own employees and equipment. Xpo isn't doing anything that's going to cost them more money. They are here to stay.

I'm sure using mothership is cheaper then hiring and retaining our own employees and equipment. Xpo isn't doing anything that's going to cost them more money. They are here to stay.
Mothership made it roughly a week and then , corporate contacted local management and said they were pulling the plug due to costs.... Mothership was too expensive ( according to corporate ) - they were gone as fast as they came. Farewell Mothership.

Mothership made it roughly a week and then , corporate contacted local management and said they were pulling the plug due to costs.... Mothership was too expensive ( according to corporate ) - they were gone as fast as they came. Farewell Mothership.
Mothership is alive and well at my barn, 3 trucks a day every day. Originally we were told they were only going to do Residential deliveries because of the influx of them during Covid but now they delivery all kinds of stops.