Cashing in Vacation at Retirement

Discussion in 'YRC Freight' started by Paperboy, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Paperboy

Paperboy Member

Question for the group...
    Are Teamsters allowed to cash out their accrued vacation time when retiring?

2. Freightmaster1

Freightmaster1 Well-Known Member

Some people save up 4 or 5 weeks and use them right before the day they retire. They use up any remaining dental/optical/medical benefits they have left, and then come in on the last day and sign the resignation/retirement papers. Or some work up until the last day, and the company will pay them their remaining vacation in a lump sum. Either way you can then tell the company to...

[​IMG]
    :fingure:

3. Freightmaster1

Freightmaster1 Well-Known Member

:funky:

4. Kennesaw Kid

Kennesaw Kid Super Moderator Staff Member

I took all mine 1 week at a time to let them pay my benefits and took a long....long...long vacation and never came back.

5. mud

mud Wonderin' AD-FREE USER

I retired in June of 2009 and YRC paid me the four weeks of vacation they owed me. I worked swing shift and Friday night was my last day. At the end of the shift we weren't even close to being finished. The supervisor told me I can't expect you to stay but I sure could use your help. I said no problem and stayed until the work was done. I left YRC with a little bit of dignity.

6. nickles

nickles Member

They told me that they would pay all unused vacation from last year and prorate this years. I left yesterday 1/26/18. Goodbye everyone. I wish you all good well.

7. Volnuck1

Volnuck1 Member

I had 2 weeks left when I retired due to my 5th back surgery. They were kind enough to let me take the 2 weeks, keep my benefits in tact for those remaining weeks. I retired on Monday, my colon ruptured on Thursday. Emergency surgery
    that night to keep me alive. Had they not let me use that time and keep my benefits, I would owe well in the $350,000 range for my first surgery and a second one to turn my colon around and take the colostomy bag off. Thank you Lord for all of those blessings.