Yellow | casual dock payrate grievance

captain cardboard

TB Lurker
Credits
Does anyone have any info regarding a pending National grievance about casual CDL qualified payrates for dockmen? I work at YRC Local 707, was being paid CDL rate until recently, now they have cut the pay $5.75 an hour to $14.00& want $3000. paid back to company.

Surprised that YRC will try to get away this, not at all. After 28yrs(retiree working to pay $750 a month for medical), What surprises me is that the teamsters would need to let this go to grievance to get this settled.Relocating to Charlotte N.C. soon so I ain't even mad. LOL

Does anyone have any info regarding a pending National grievance about casual CDL qualified payrates for dockmen? I work at YRC Local 707, was being paid CDL rate until recently, now they have cut the pay $5.75 an hour to $14.00& want $3000. paid back to company.
Just take the pay cut and give them their $3000.00 bucks back. Be happy that you still have a job! LOL :poster_oops:

MOU says that 4 hour rate will be applicable fulltime rate of pay. I would not give back the money and let them sit on their wording until the grievance is settled. Then if we didn't win the grievance and they said I would have to give the money back, I wouldn't do the 4 hour bit and I would draw my unemployment until the 2 years were up before going back to work.

MOU says that 4 hour rate will be applicable fulltime rate of pay. I would not give back the money and let them sit on their wording until the grievance is settled. Then if we didn't win the grievance and they said I would have to give the money back, I wouldn't do the 4 hour bit and I would draw my unemployment until the 2 years were up before going back to work.

Wait a minute.Were you working as a casual or were you working as a layed off 4 hour guy?Your post is somewhat confusing.

The proper pay rate is probably laid out in your local supplement. Yellow is no stranger to overpaying then wanting their money back, as far as two years back. I do believe there is contract language as to how far back they can collect over-payments but I am not sure how far, I'll look into it. If they want the money back they will take it out of your checks and I'm sure you want to work so refusing to work wouldn't be an effective protest. Have you called talked to your Steward or your union rep? That is the best place to get your questions answered.

The proper pay rate is probably laid out in your local supplement. Yellow is no stranger to overpaying then wanting their money back, as far as two years back. I do believe there is contract language as to how far back they can collect over-payments but I am not sure how far, I'll look into it. If they want the money back they will take it out of your checks and I'm sure you want to work so refusing to work wouldn't be an effective protest. Have you called talked to your Steward or your union rep? That is the best place to get your questions answered.
the ny/nj supplement says CDL qualified casuals is $19.75 with NO job classification listed and then goes on to say, Dock only no CDL is $14.00. As far as speaking to the steward, I did, he says no repayment until outcome of the grievance. I didn't word my original question properly, what i was trying to find out is if this grievance originated in the NY/NJ supplement area. The language in the supplement is a lot clearer than in the NMFA. According to labor relations (yrc) the unions position is that if a casual is CDL qualified he is to receive the CDL casual rate regardless of whether you perform driving work or not. thanks for everyones input.

Wait a minute.Were you working as a casual or were you working as a layed off 4 hour guy?Your post is somewhat confusing.
I'm a retiree working 2 days a week as a casual. We have no other casuals at our terminal, other than other retirees that choose to drive P&D. there are no 4 hr shifts being used and no layoffs here either.

Current contract language I found is mostly based on previous pay rates. IE: pay increase of blah blah blah with no base rates, they sure got lazy last time around. Dock only casual of $14/hr is in there though and I'd expect that that's your rate unless you are working the street too. I was unable to locate language on period of time they can reach back on you but I do know it was addressed and there is a time frame. working 2 days/wk and them wanting $3000 must surely be out of the question though, sux to be them.

the ny/nj supplement says CDL qualified casuals is $19.75 with NO job classification listed and then goes on to say, Dock only no CDL is $14.00. As far as speaking to the steward, I did, he says no repayment until outcome of the grievance. I didn't word my original question properly, what i was trying to find out is if this grievance originated in the NY/NJ supplement area. The language in the supplement is a lot clearer than in the NMFA. According to labor relations (yrc) the unions position is that if a casual is CDL qualified he is to receive the CDL casual rate regardless of whether you perform driving work or not. thanks for everyones input.

What nmfa? That went in the garbage the monment the first yaz vote was passed. How it worked was if you were a casual working the dock, you got I think it was a whopping huge $16 a hour, if you got put into a truck(wreck)to make a yard move or anything to do with that wreck you would get the supervisor to sign your timecard for the higher rate. I would think that now with the latest of bendovers that you would just substitute the new hourly rates for each classification.
It use to be when we had a real contract that the highest rate applied to for the whole week once you did something to qualify for it, if I recall.
PS: 5 bucks says the onion agrees with the company interpitation.
Good Luck CC!

No Sense At All

I'm a retiree working 2 days a week as a casual. We have no other casuals at our terminal, other than other retirees that choose to drive P&D. there are no 4 hr shifts being used and no layoffs here either.

Can someone please explain this senario to me ? :wtflol:

I take it your at a combo barn so the question should be is there or not different classification. Cause if this is a combo and you possess a CDL then your a combo guy and should be paid at a combo rate would be my issue. Thats like a regular combo guy on a early morning bid that has him on the dock for his shift, seewhere I'm going with this. Fight this and question their motives on every move they make. Hope this helps but then I'm in a different supplement brother.

It's whether you're a 4 hr guarantee local cartage employee that gets top rate of $19.75 or a part time dock casual who gets paid at the contract rate of $14.00 an hour..cdl or no cdl

since its been 2 years id say he was hired as a casual and will get paid the $14 p/h as stated in last nmfa.

Can someone please explain this senario to me ? :wtflol:
local 707 allows retirees to work 2 days a week as casuals. It is a win situation for all. Union gets contributions from the company, Company gets experienced help(they can't find any qualified people willing to work with no hours gauranteed),& i get a paycheck to offset my medical costs.
fyi this is not a combo job.

local 707 allows retirees to work 2 days a week as casuals. It is a win situation for all. Union gets contributions from the company, Company gets experienced help(they can't find any qualified people willing to work with no hours gauranteed),& i get a paycheck to offset my medical costs.
fyi this is not a combo job.

if you worked 49 hrs a month at $14.00, the allowable maximum you still won't have the $750
after dues and taxes. But it's still a good chunk. If you work an hour over the 49 hrs and somebody drops a dime on you then they may hold back a month of your retirement but hypothetically you know that cuz you signed a dozen statements saying you read and understand that

right?

if you worked 49 hrs a month at $14.00, the allowable maximum you still won't have the $750
after dues and taxes. But it's still a good chunk. If you work an hour over the 49 hrs and somebody drops a dime on you then they may hold back a month of your retirement but hypothetically you know that cuz you signed a dozen statements saying you read and understand that

right?
suprisingly, the union allows 2 days a week, it doesn't go by hours. I actually work 64 hrs (2x16x4) a month, there is no overtime to speak of. It does cover the medical,and your right it's really not a bad deal for a part time job. Your also correct about the paperwork that was signed. thanks