Yellow | Casual gets arm crushed in Kansas City

Regular342

TB Veteran
Credits
Kid makes a stupid decision and pays for it with his arm. He was stripping a trailer and left a bill on top of the skid. Instead of getting off the hilo and grabbing the bill he decided to reach through the mast and grab the bill. Well, in the process of leaning forward and reaching through the mast his leg hit the lever and dropped the mast down crushing his arm just beneath his shoulder. Not sure what happened after that as he was rushed to the hospital. Can't understand why anyone would reach through the mast on a hilo.

We had a guy do that in january and he still is not back, he is just noe getting feeling back in his arm...it maybe a while for him to do anything let alone drive again.

I have caught myself starting to do the same thing, then I came to my senses. I hope the kid is all right.

Glad to see someone is working casuals, 671 may have 4 or 5?!? It's all forced OT and 6th and 7th punchers. A few years ago I bet we had over 150 casuals.......seems to me $16 per hour is cheaper than $33 or $44! :nutkick: DS.

I have caught myself starting to do the same thing, then I came to my senses. I hope the kid is all right.

Glad to see someone is working casuals, 671 may have 4 or 5?!? It's all forced OT and 6th and 7th punchers. A few years ago I bet we had over 150 casuals.......seems to me $16 per hour is cheaper than $33 or $44! :nutkick: DS.

man that is hard to imagine the pain that man went through and still is scary......
not many casuals her but they do use them
no forced ot haven't seen that since last august infact we have hardly have any ot going maybe on weekends a little but thats it..

I can't imagen the pain he was in?
I had a an older dodge sedan fall on one of my fingers back in 1967,and can still remember what that was like.

How many of us always use our brains before we our going to take a short cut?
When we are in a hurry we don't always think straight.

I feel very sorry for this youngster,but we've all got to make very sure we stay totally focused on what we are doing in this business at all times.

A good safe job,always starts with the proper rest before you start your work shift.
A rested mind is a clear mind,to think before you take a chance of making that next act,your last one.

Be safe,if you don't think you can do something safe.
Don't do it at all!

I had a an older dodge sedan fall on one of my fingers back in 1967,and can still remember what that was like.

I feel very sorry for this youngster,but we've all got to make very sure we stay totally focused on what we are doing in this business at all times.

A good safe job,always starts with the proper rest before you start your work shift.
A rested mind is a clear mind,to think before you take a chance of making that next act,your last one.

Don't do it at all!

Words to live by, Apo............every time I have ever got hurt at RDWY I should have thought a little more about what I was doing, first.
DS.

Don't do it at all!

Very well said! We all made bad judgement without thinking of the out come. Hope his recovery goes well!

Kid makes a stupid decision and pays for it with his arm. He was stripping a trailer and left a bill on top of the skid. Instead of getting off the hilo and grabbing the bill he decided to reach through the mast and grab the bill. Well, in the process of leaning forward and reaching through the mast his leg hit the lever and dropped the mast down crushing his arm just beneath his shoulder. Not sure what happened after that as he was rushed to the hospital. Can't understand why anyone would reach through the mast on a hilo.

Being he is a casual, it could be due to lack of experience. It is unfortunate but it seems I hear that happening once in a while. I have even heard of a person getting their head crushed the same way. Experience is the best teacher and I bet this dosen't happen to this person again. Safety first, and go home to the people that counts the most to us- our families.

I believe 342 is using casuals because they are under the 40 and out.
We have a local agreement that specifies all jobs are bid Monday thru Friday. Therefore, we use a lot of casuals. They try to keep a pool of 50 or more qualified casuals at all times. Also, we do not bid 10%, we replace with casuals.