New Penn | casual pay rate

deejay

TB Lurker
Credits
Is there anyone out there that knows what new penn is paying their casuals hired after the new contract? In pgh we have a casual and they have been paying him casual rate(80%) but when he gets done driving they move him back to $14 hour which is the dock casual rate. We are going to file on this. I just want to make sure they aren't doing this everywhere.

d.j.
you can p.m. me responses or reply

Had this happen here in Baltimore. Had a new hire as driver and when he worked the dock they put him at the $14 casual dock rate.........He quit.

when u dive you r classified as a driver, even when u tuch the dock,u r still paid at driver rate,hightest rate prevails, that even goes when u work the dock then go driving, u are now classified as driver so ,now pay goes from the time u punch in til the time u puch out,as driver pay.u stay on dock all day u are considered a dock men, which is lower rate ,,when red star went out and got hired at abf that is the way it work out. now with new contract you are hired as driver ,driver rate should apply

I thought it was the same there as it was here? At Holland, there is a Dock Only Casual and a Casual Driver. The dock only casual gets 14.00 per hour period, but the casual (CDL) driver gets 85%(? I think) of the regular rate, no matter what he's doing dock, driving or dock. We don't have any regular dock bids that aren't filled by regular CDL drivers here though.

yea, i thought thats the way it should be here too. I am waiting on new penn's labor guy to get back to us on their opinion. If they don't change then we will have to file on it.
d.j.

I should reiterate on the Baltimore incident.

When the new hire (driver came from OD) found out he was being paid the $14 casual dock rate he questioned the shop steward about the discrepancy. The steward said that he would check into it, it didn't sound right. Before the steward had a chance to investigate the language of the new contract the new hire had already resigned.

So this hasn't really been tested here.