Yellow | Central Freight Lines to shut down after 96 years

I talked to one of these CFL guys out on the route today. He said they were "told" they could work this week, (delivering what was left and picking up trailers at customers' lots) and they were guaranteed that they would be getting paid. When I asked him exactly WHO was going to be paying him, he kind of shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

I hate it for all of them. At least this can't be blamed on the Teamsters (or can it)?

On March 27, 1993, employee-owners and direct shareholders of Central voted to approve the purchase of the company by Roadway Services, Inc. Central Freight Lines became a part of Roadway on April 11, and joined the Roadway Regional Group. Central was a stand-alone regional subsidiary in Roadway’s portfolio that also included other regional carriers such as Viking Freight System, Cole’s Express and Spartan Express.

Having expanded into Louisiana the year before, Central expanded into Colorado, Kansas and Missouri in 1994. Later that year, the company expanded into Illinois and Mississippi.

A Central Freight Lines terminal. (Photo: Stanley Houghton Collection)
A Central Freight Lines terminal. (Photo: Stanley Houghton Collection)
On January 1, 1995, federal law deregulated intrastate common carrier trucking nationwide. Joe Hall became Central’s fifth president that year. On December 14, Roadway Services, Inc. became Caliber Systems, Inc. and on December 18, Caliber announced the consolidation of Central, Coles, Spartan and Viking Freight Systems into Viking Freight, Inc. This move created a nationwide freight carrier from multiple regional carriers. Central Freight Lines became the Southwestern Division of Viking Freight, Inc. in 1996.

On June 30th, 1997, an investment group led by a number of senior Central managers purchased selected assets of the former Central Freight Lines from Viking Freight. They reopened the company as a new Central Freight Lines.

yellow-roadway-usf.md.jpg

staley-roadway.jpg
AWW SHUCKS! That didn't work out very good did it?
:chairshot:

A sad day in LTL trucking.
You can say that again mud!

:hissyfit:

You can say that again mud!

:hissyfit:
I can't help but laugh.

5431849621_5013d5b13b7c26b06461aba8d7.md.jpg

Like buzzards picking at a corpse
The majority of their accounts are probably low paying ones. They drivers took pay cuts and they still lost money. Companies will chase customers but with new higher rates. Some of their customer base might be in for shock a new higher rates. If they were not already shipping with other LTL's it could be really bad shape in metro area's

Does anyone remember the WNCR trailers back in the 90's. When you looked down at the holes on the side you could see the Spartan logo. They were FRP trailers. Hey Outbound foreman water is coming in the side. Hey stacker heres some aluminum tape. Thank You Roadway tape you saved me once again. Ahh the good ol days