Yellow | Central Freight Lines to shut down after 96 years

We used to get Central Freight 57'footers at 511 They brought us freight and we loaded freight back on the same trailer. Their dock was the largest in the world at one time. It was across from Cowboy Stadium. We would interline with them for points here in Texas that they serviced We ran the freight to the points they didnt service . We often loaded Home Depot loads. Its get dark up in the front of a 57 if your lights aint working on the folkslift. Roadway Services days Synergy everyone!!

We used to get Central Freight 57'footers at 511 They brought us freight and we loaded freight back on the same trailer. Their dock was the largest in the world at one time. It was across from Cowboy Stadium. We would interline with them for points here in Texas that they serviced We ran the freight to the points they didnt service . We often loaded Home Depot loads. Its get dark up in the front of a 57 if your lights aint working on the folkslift. Roadway Services days Synergy everyone!!
I know it's possible that I might have missed something but 57 foot trailers? Maybe you meant 53 foot trailers.

FW-HoF-1200x675-21.md.jpg
I got my start working and delivering freight back in 1973 with a subsidiary company of this now long gone LTL truck line.
A little before 1973 I liked the hell out of those old White tractors. Those and B 61 Macks, cut my teeth on them!

I've seen them here in Texas ( Central Freight Lines ) peddling freight with 57 footers.
59 footers / 14 ft tall trailers are legal in Texas.

On March 27, 1993, employee-owners and direct shareholders of Central voted to approve the purchase of the company by Roadway Services, Inc. Central Freight Lines became a part of Roadway on April 11, and joined the Roadway Regional Group. Central was a stand-alone regional subsidiary in Roadway’s portfolio that also included other regional carriers such as Viking Freight System, Cole’s Express and Spartan Express.

Having expanded into Louisiana the year before, Central expanded into Colorado, Kansas and Missouri in 1994. Later that year, the company expanded into Illinois and Mississippi.

A Central Freight Lines terminal. (Photo: Stanley Houghton Collection)
A Central Freight Lines terminal. (Photo: Stanley Houghton Collection)
On January 1, 1995, federal law deregulated intrastate common carrier trucking nationwide. Joe Hall became Central’s fifth president that year. On December 14, Roadway Services, Inc. became Caliber Systems, Inc. and on December 18, Caliber announced the consolidation of Central, Coles, Spartan and Viking Freight Systems into Viking Freight, Inc. This move created a nationwide freight carrier from multiple regional carriers. Central Freight Lines became the Southwestern Division of Viking Freight, Inc. in 1996.

On June 30th, 1997, an investment group led by a number of senior Central managers purchased selected assets of the former Central Freight Lines from Viking Freight. They reopened the company as a new Central Freight Lines.

yellow-roadway-usf.md.jpg

staley-roadway.jpg
AWW SHUCKS! That didn't work out very good did it?
:chairshot:
Oh my,,,,
any carrier that gets near either YRC company is domed...

Rival carriers chase former Central Freight customers as tight LTL market shrinks​

:hissyfit:
I hope not, ABF’s system is over capacity now….

Last edited: