Yellow | Central States Pension Crisis! Trustees Where Are You?!

the way it looks in freight right now if you don't have 20 year or better you never see your pension as for ups they do every contract it win/win for them if they get out of it it's the partimers that kills them everyday they work it go in the fund just thing about it that a lot of $$$$$$ that most of them will never see that what kills them

It's likely you've been hearing that since 1981 because the numbers prove it's happening. How many unionized carriers were there in 1981? Hundreds, at least. How many now? Less than 10, I'd guess. I remember when there was a HUGE difference in rate of pay per hour between being a Teamster and being a non-union LTL driver. Now, take out the benefits and there isn't that big a difference. How many new companies have we brought on board to pick up the ones fallen by the wayside? Nowhere near enough to cover the pension if there's another amss exodous. That's why UPS wants out-- it's the smart thing for them to do.

I've heard forever we'll have our pension, and social security. It wouldn't surprise me to never be able to collect either...........

Their is a government agency that picks up bankrupt companies pension liabilities I believe it pays something like 60% I heard about it on this Frontline episode FRONTLINE: can you afford to retire?: watch the full program online | PBS

In LTL we run about 40% union, in the early eighties it was probably more like 70% lazy unions, members with bad attitudes, anti labor legislation, trade agreements, union corruption, all have had a devastating effect on labor. We can't give up hope brother, we need to press on, we just have to be more tactful and less bullheaded, we have to earn the trust of the citizens of this nation. Its not really a choice for the working man its a necessity, and things will only get as bad as we let them.

It's true, wages have stagnated while other professions that used to be comparable to a union driving jobs, have continues to rise with the rate of inflation ours do not. Working for a union shop still affords you many advantages as far as work rules goes and I would say their is still roughly a $4 an hour difference between the top union compensation and the top non-union thats not small change, but it also is not what it used to be.

In LTL we run about 40% union,

I can't believe your 40% is accurate. I wish it were true, but I highly doubt it. Not figuring that we have Yellow, Roadway, ABF, Holland, NewPenn, etc, vs Fed-Ex, CCX, Estes, Old Dominion, Milan, Pitt-Ohio, Vitran, P-Jax, Watkins, R and L, Dayton Freight etc, etc, etc.......We might be 40% now that UPS Freight is union.....

silvertooth said:
I would say their is still roughly a $4 an hour difference between the top union compensation and the top non-union thats not small change, but it also is not what it used to be.

Really? Well, maybe TOTAL compensation, but what about pay? We make $22.36 @ hr. CCX I believe pays more. Pitt-Ohio recently came to Indy-- one of their drivers claims they top out at $22. plus. Plus they even get their benes paid!?! Old Dominion tops out in that range as well. Dayton is about the same as us-- and they pay time and a half after 8, just like us... I can't tell you about others, but it seems we've been at least caught up to.

I would say 40 percent is a pretty accurate appraisal all those companies you rattle off are not near major players, Vitran, Milan, Pitt-Ohio, P-Jax, L, Dayton Freight are not even nationwide companies maybe where you work the penetration is different but generally speaking Estes and OD together equal maybe one of YRC's LTL company's in size. I can peddle freight all day long and not see an Estes or an OD truck but maybe once a week.

I hear what you guys are saying but the non union is growing in number of employees. From ten years ago to now OD, CCX and others have been adding more people to their ranks and with us it has been the opposite.

Situation presents itself for a viable solution now

And now Saia has moved to Indy, and bought the Connection and some other smaller companies, spreading with nationwide goals. Technically, they aren't Yellow, but I have to wonder who sits on SJC's Board of Directors?

Yeah, thats the plan, spin Saia off, almost go out of business, then as not to make things too obvious buy two other huge freight entities with massive assets, then close them all down, file bankruptcy, and re-route the freight through a company that has the capacity to carry 1/8th of the freight.

Thats just crazy, someone may say thats what happened at CF, not exactly and it didn't work that well for them either. When CF went out of business Con-Way was overrun with former CF accounts above and beyond their capacity as a result they lost allot of business. They should be the largest carrier by a long shot but because they dropped the ball during this critical time, they are not.