Central Transport | Central Transport circa 2003

blacksheep18

TB Lurker
Credits
In order to break the union they s canned union guys and formed multiple divisions and hired owner operators.
Squeezed the O/O out and restructured under CT name again, long story short they're still a s**t hole company.:regretful:

Are you saying I'm incorrect ?
Nope, not at all! When I got hired in '06, they still had the O/O's there, but were slowly shifting them back to company drivers.

But, Matty still had the multiple companies, until Matty finally merged them all in late '07. Before then, the trucks said "Charlotte Express", you got paid from (and technically were an employee of) a company called "JWA" (and HAD direct deposit!). The only thing that said "Central Transport" on it, were the trailers.

During the merge, I had to fill out a new application, take a new physical/**** test, just like I was getting hired for the first time. The only thing that really changed, after the merge, was now we got paid in 'paper' checks! No more direct deposit! How many companies have you ever heard of, going backwards like that?!

The thing that really got to me the most, were the poor saps who were actually stupid enough to "buy" those old LN 8000/9000 tractors! What were they thinking!?!? I don't care HOW desperate I was for a job, I would NEVER buy one of those things!

John

i thought central transport got out of the teamsters WAY back before 2003? up until 3 years ago there were other centra companies that were still union in michigan, but i dont know if they are still around. F.S.S. was one of them, and they ran GM parts. They had other names on the trucks in mich too, like pro logistics, and on demand trucking. I don't know if those companies were organized or not.

i thought central transport got out of the teamsters WAY back before 2003? up until 3 years ago there were other centra companies that were still union in michigan, but i dont know if they are still around. F.S.S. was one of them, and they ran GM parts. They had other names on the trucks in mich too, like pro logistics, and on demand trucking. I don't know if those companies were organized or not.
Thats what I was thinking,I thought Matty pushed the Teamsters out of CT in the mid to late 70's

F.S.S. IS (or was) one of Matty's companies, as he had one by me, in Janesville, WI. It was set up for the GM plant, that is now closed. Just from listening to the employees there, it was quite evident that Matty just HATED that place, and the ONLY reason why it was still union, was because it HAD to be, to get into the plant. We used to deliver parts to them (F.S.S.) all the time, then those guys would sort it out, and deliver the parts to different parts of the plant. We could go into the plant, and did, but there was only one area for LTL trucks to go, to pick up stuff. Most all the deliveries were done through F.S.S. The very second the GM plant closed, F.S.S. was also closed!

And, to respond to "DayliteDean", the owner/operators were STILL in CT in '06, as there were 2, or 3 still there when I got hired. One quit, but the other two stayed on as o/o's, until sometime in '07, and then were transitioned to company drivers. As to when the union itself was pushed out, I'm not certain, but I can't imagine Matty still having o/o's 30 years later!

John

so is FSS still around in michigan maybe? do you know if "pro logistics" or "on demand" trucking are union? I sort of figured that there was a reason that FSS was union, all those guys hated it there from what i overheard them saying, everyone was always talking about trying to get on with Automotive Component Carriers, as at the time, it was the best job in town for auto parts hauling. even with the concessions, i'm sure ACC is still probably one of the better jobs around the Flint/Detroit area...

oh ok. I noticed that you never see an actual "central transport" truck around michigan, its always one of those little spin off companies....

There ARE Central Transport trucks in MI, but what I was saying was that I didn't know about F.S.S. still being in business in MI.

John

I know, i was just relating always seeing "centra" trucks of a different name around southern michigan, and never actually seeing a "central transport" truck, even though they are really just the same company. I think i saw a couple of CT trucks, but no where near as many as " pro logistics", "on demand", or others. I remember seeing a few dark green trucks with a different name down around toledo a few times as well, i think the trucks had "mohican transport" or something on the side.