R&L | "Certified Check Only"

2Dumb2Quit

TB Lurker
Credits
:ranting: Does anyone else working for R&L hate the DRs with "CERTIFIED CHECK ONLY" collectoins. They are a nuisance to the driver and the customer alike. Nothing like wasting 30-45 minutes to get them cleared through corporate.

I wish R&L would stop doing favors for these shippers that will not accept a personal check from the customer. If they are that concerned about payment, they should not ship the product until payment is made in full.

As a matter of fact we should not be collecting any money on the street. Nothing like putting the driver in a pickle carrying around money or checks unessecarily.:Afro-Cow:

Trucking companies make a fortune doing this. They charge the shipper a percentage of the monies they are picking up. When they pick up a certified check there is no risk involved for the carrier, with the exception of the drover forgetting to pick up the check or a clerk not noting the DR.

Think about it this way. You are picking up checks for thousands of dollars and the company is getting a vig to have you wait around for a check. I have seen checks for $25,000 and $30,000 where the company collects an extra $200-$300 on a freight bill.

Sure it would be easier to have it paid up front, but for the carrier its eay money.

not to mention getting scammed with a phony "certified" check. i've seen it happen. the t.m showed us one, it looked good enough, but it wasn't worth 2 cents.. it was a couple thousand bucks, the sales rep tried to follow up, but all they found was an empty office, it looked like these crooks moved in and ordered a bunch of stuff, then skipped out before the checks started bouncing all over town.

Had that happen to one of my customers when I was in the city. The freight went to NYC, and the consignee used a counterfit check to pay the bill.

About a year ago or so we had a rash of counterfeit certified checks. One of our wheel customers got mad and I actually was there one day and the owner was yelling at me about R+L not paying for a false check that one of our drivers picked up in Jacksonville. I guess it was our responsibility to be treasury agents or something. Anyways they started putting on the bols to call WIL to confirm a certified check only. Of course if you look in the contrctual stipulations we are not allowed to accept but 250 dollars in cash, but I don't think that rule is ever enforced.

I personally know that the money rule is never enforced. I dont care how much money the company makes on these ridiculous transactions. The driver should not be put in the position of carrying any amount of money on his/her person.

You are correct and as more and more customers start accepting payment via credit card, this part of our business will go away.

Think about if you sell widgets, you need to know if your customers are credit worthy. The first few transactions are very risky, so you ask the company delivery the merchandise to pick up a check. This gaurantees that you do not get stiffed.

If your customer can pay you at time of order via credit card, it makes everybody's life easier.

DrinksOldNo7 said:
The driver should not be put in the position of carrying any amount of money on his/her person.

That's easy to remedy.
Whenever I was put in a situation where I was collecting cash, I called for a saleperson to come pick it up.
No way in H%*! I was running around with a big wad of bills stashed somewhere. :pirate:

fixed quote

Friend of the frog said:
You are correct and as more and more customers start accepting payment via credit card, this part of our business will go away. .

Maybe, maybe not. Think about how many places you have done business with that require that merchandise paid for by credit card go to the billing address. (Just try to get that 400# pool table into the letter sized PO Box!)

The bottom line is...

The company should not put the driver in the position of collecting any monies. Not safe for the driver to be collecting money and driving around all day. The salesman idea would be fine (if one is available in your area), but that's not the answer.

I also wish that they wouldn't put freight out for delivery without confirmation that the customer will have the monies at time of delivery... And that they will be there to accept and help with the delivery of thier freight.

check

I got nailed by a bunch of arab looking guys years ago . The check looked like a readers digest check fancy envelope and all. I called in said I wasn't sure if it was cert no holes. TM told me to take it. When it bounced I got the letter for excepting non cet funds.

I only get those from one shipper, and they're usually for at most two people I go to. I have both of their phone numbers and call them before I leave so I don't have to wait there.

Company policy is that on any COD, the consignee needs to be called b4 the freight is put out for delivery. That way when you get there check is available and so is customer. I am sure there are terminals who just put it out so they can make service and the TM gets his weekly $$ for it but it is not right.

Company policy is that on any COD, the consignee needs to be called b4 the freight is put out for delivery.
Yeah right. Where'd you read that load of bs? It certainly ain't in the book I got.

That way when you get there check is available and so is customer.

And that would be nice ... in a perfect world.

I am sure there are terminals who just put it out so they can make service and the TM gets his weekly $$ for it but it is not right.

In other words, screw it, let the driver worry about it. Well, two can play that game. If it's a residential, no appointment, and they don't answer the phone, I ain't wasting a trip when there's stuff I can get done.

Likewise with no phone number on the bill.

It is too bad that a few terminals who do not follow the rules make it tougher for you guys. Where I am we do not put the freight out on a COD. ** collects are called in the AM or called in for approval. Incoming on both are sometimes called the day b/4 so we can put it out on arrival.

i have never called in for a certified check delivery.i just take it and go about my biusiness.but now you guys have me second guessing what im doing.who do you call and what do they say.

i have never called in for a certified check delivery.i just take it and go about my biusiness.but now you guys have me second guessing what im doing.who do you call and what do they say.

It says on the bill in nice big letters "Driver call 1800******* ex. 2940 to verify" or whatever, and they give you an authorization no. after they ask you what bank it's from and who it's made out to, and how much it's for.

Just something else to hold you up.

nice i wonder why noone from my term. has said anything about not having an auth. # on those bills.only been picking up frieght here for 4 years.i guess i should start now just to cmoa