ABF | Change of Operations At South Chicago

Is this not what Con-Way and Fed- X are doing with their drivers ? ...
We are being told here in Ohio that road drivers are going to transfer to EOL terminals to be ue's on the CITY BOARD to pull our loads to DC's. Sound like road work? Doe's to me.These guys are not going to be ue's, they are going to be 8 hours a night road drivers on the city board. Road drivers are being phased out except for long haul, trust me this is just the beginning. Wake up road drivers, wake up union halls, wake up Hoffa! If the company wants to change the contract it must be voted on (yrc). They can change the direction of the freight and domiciles and so on, but contract language must be voted on. Chech it out, raise some eyebrows, don't just take it............

OK, fair enough. I don't think ABF ever had that kind of cash on hand.

If you could hook me up with a link to that info that would be great. Otherwise when I find time I'll try to find it in their annual or quarterly reports.

Originally Posted by converted
We are being told here in Ohio that road drivers are going to transfer to EOL terminals to be ue's on the CITY BOARD to pull our loads to DC's. Sound like road work? Doe's to me.These guys are not going to be ue's, they are going to be 8 hours a night road drivers on the city board. Road drivers are being phased out except for long haul, trust me this is just the beginning. Wake up road drivers, wake up union halls, wake up Hoffa! If the company wants to change the contract it must be voted on (yrc). They can change the direction of the freight and domiciles and so on, but contract language must be voted on. chech it out, raise some eyebrows, just dont take it............. If you dont do this, how will you compete with the cheap labor competitors old timer, this is old school mentality? Its not working that way no more. ...wake up grandpa! Does pullin empty sets really make sense? I didnt think so.

Cash

Having that much cash on hand wouldn't make good business sense. That much cash with no debt would be in invested in growth.
I don't remember ABC ever having that much cash. I do remember having more debt than that. It was a time of uncertainity.

There is no Change of Operations currently pending. This is the change they walked out on several months ago while it was being argued at the hearing.

Not pending, therefore not an issue.

Hey red spotter looks like its going to happen. Number 20 of change of ops, Ue employee WILL switch there own trailers out at SOUTH CHICAGO.

we blew it

i to am a yard spotter at sch034 and while i do agree with you in theory the fact is we will not be able to stop turn drivers from doing "our" work.

we have noone to blame but ourselves (not just chicago but teamsters as a whole) since the yrc kickbacks started and abf tried to get a concession we since had the the chance to vote these union officials out of office, but the blinders are on and people are really brainwashed into thinking these people care about us. how much does tyson johnson have to give away before we say ENOUGH. local 710 sec treasurer gives himself a $225,000.00 PAY RAISE????????????

by the way we are only a month away from learning how much of a pay raise union officials took in 2011.

another one of my favorites is dont shop at non union walmart

few things wrong with that-- first instead of boycotting how about encouraging union members to go into walmart and be able to strike up conversations about the benefit of being union
and if local 710 is so strong against walmart then how come our hw&p has shares of walmart stock??
and finally abf moves alot of walmart freight-- sorry but i missed out on the 200,000.00 dollar pay raise last year so i THANK walmart for shipping through us --- maybe walmart shipped enough freight that allowed sch not to layoff this year??

im very proud to be a teamster and to be in a union--- now i wish i had union officials who felt the same

Change is going to come, Times are changing, our industry is overrun by the non unions, our company is going to do what is best for the company. A.B.F. is going to make more of the "traveling dock workers " to compete. Buckle your seatbelts....it's going to be a bumpy ride !!!!!

Having done utility work, by choice, it is not a bad gig. It's a bid run, you sleep in your own bed, and it pays good, and you know your off days. It's generally more predictable than P&D work. Monday night is usually gravy, Tuesday a bit busier, the rest of the week you normally bust your buns. Now that I'm at ABF on the bottom, I sometimes run utility, sometimes work inbound, but mostly work outbound. I'm the bottom guy, I take what I'm fed! Change is tough though for those affected, but if you try to make the best educated decision that your seniority will allow you, and keep a positive attitude, it should work out for you. Hopefully, ABF can grow the business and anyone laid-off by this change will be quickly recalled. The only thing certain about life is, it's gonna CHANGE! Ya'll be safe!