ODFL | "City" work

After 7 years of running a downtown route where my stops were right next to each other, and delivering to 10th floor offices, I've moved out to the country. Im enjoying it. Some stops are 20, 30, 40 minutes apart View image: IMAG3141

Freightsup heard you were buried in snow yesterday, way to early for this. I'll drive thru Akron on Sat, doing a little extra work. Gonna be running switches. Your buried in snow, we're buried in freight...lol

Freightsup heard you were buried in snow yesterday, way to early for this. I'll drive thru Akron on Sat, doing a little extra work. Gonna be running switches. Your buried in snow, we're buried in freight...lol

That we were... Atleast i live south so i get away from it. Being buried in freight is job security, so bring it on! I'm glad you guys are doing well. We picked up some new accounts too. If we could only make a few changes we'd be in the big league's like you guys if ya know what I mean. Lol...

Is that house with the driveway where they expect you to drive a 53' up into?? "Sure, we get big trucks in here all the time!"

Yeah..."the other driver used to back up to my front door and then he took everything inside and took all , the trash and the skid with him." ............LOL

I used to run a country route over at Con-way. I loved it. Even got stuck on a dry paved road one time... But I'm with you, I've heard that "we get trucks down here all the time" bit. I guess they're not lying, a pickup technically is a truck...

I used to run a country route over at Con-way. I loved it. Even got stuck on a dry paved road one time... But I'm with you, I've heard that "we get trucks down here all the time" bit. I guess they're not lying, a pickup technically is a truck...

Propane truck, short bus, garbage truck, RV, Lawn mower, Bicycle, Prius = same size as a big 18 wheeler in a homeowner's eyes! Even the brightest of the bright with PH D's just don't seem to understand why that big truck can't make it down the same street their Nissan Leaf just drove up.

Lol, Billy. Hit the nail on the head. If we would have listened to them we all would have been jobless a long time ago for taking out half a building and a sign. Stay safe and have fun, friends. If your not having fun all thats left is makin' money = P

Propane truck, short bus, garbage truck, RV, Lawn mower, Bicycle, Prius = same size as a big 18 wheeler in a homeowner's eyes! Even the brightest of the bright with PH D's just don't seem to understand why that big truck can't make it down the same street their Nissan Leaf just drove up.

I took pictures of some of the places I went when in the "city" for Con-way. Unfortunately they got lost in upgrading to a new phone. I got stuck on a paved road one time, never left the roadway either. 45' liftgate van at the bottom of a steep hill, no place to turn around. Truck didn't have enough power to get back up the hill in reverse. They had to send a tow truck out to pull me up the hill to a gravel road I could back into to get turned around.

When I was running my peddle route I would explain to people on the phone that I had an 18 wheeler just like the ones that go along the interstates, then when I get there they say "O, I didn't think it was that big", or "well, I don't see why you are that concerned, trash trucks do it all the time". It use to drive me freaking insane!

I took pictures of some of the places I went when in the "city" for Con-way. Unfortunately they got lost in upgrading to a new phone. I got stuck on a paved road one time, never left the roadway either. 45' liftgate van at the bottom of a steep hill, no place to turn around. Truck didn't have enough power to get back up the hill in reverse. They had to send a tow truck out to pull me up the hill to a gravel road I could back into to get turned around.

I never had that, but I did have to "borrow" a neighbor's grade all to lift the trailer and move it because the turn was too sharp, thankfully I was almost empty, had a 48' lift. another thing I would always do it tell people that I have a 65' trailer, makes it sound bigger.

Maam, we aren't allowed to go into anyones house, its our company policy, .............."well I'm calling my husband, and you can explain it to him, he's going to be mad".............she tries to hand me the phone........I have my own policy, I don't use others people's phones who want me to talk to their irate husbands. I walk to my truck and call my dispatcher. I will not debate with any customer, youeither want it or you don't. If you swear or start yelling, I just leave. Our dispatcher backs us up 100% on this.

I never had that, but I did have to "borrow" a neighbor's grade all to lift the trailer and move it because the turn was too sharp, thankfully I was almost empty, had a 48' lift. another thing I would always do it tell people that I have a 65' trailer, makes it sound bigger.
Our driver who used to run Amish country got pulled out of a ditch by a team of horses

Maam, we aren't allowed to go into anyones house, its our company policy, .............."well I'm calling my husband, and you can explain it to him, he's going to be mad".............she tries to hand me the phone........I have my own policy, I don't use others people's phones who want me to talk to their irate husbands. I walk to my truck and call my dispatcher. I will not debate with any customer, youeither want it or you don't. If you swear or start yelling, I just leave. Our dispatcher backs us up 100% on this.

I had a guy tell me that he called the local terminal and even showed me the number on his phone. He said the lady told him that I would take it inside for him. I then said we have no females that work at our local terminal, he had nothing to say and just signed my bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure about you guys but at ups freight we are having big problems with freightquote.com selling customers services that weve never offered.
2 weeks ago i had a older lady who ordered 2 skids of furniture try and argue with me that she ordered the "white glove service" which they told her we carry the furniture in her house and set it up. she showed me her order form and it said one of the things she was billed for was indeed a white glove service with a charge of 385.00.
then i told her to have a nice day, put her skids back on my truck and left.

i felt bad that they ripped her off like that ,but we don't go in to residences ever,that just opens the door to the owner saying we ruined her carpet or damaged something or injury to us due to animals.