Yellow | Cleveland Employment

Theweez

TB Lurker
Credits
So after putting in an application , I got a call today from Yellow about a Linehaul Job . I originally put in an app. in April , and resubmitted it about 10 days ago and finally got a call . They want me to go up there in a week and take a drug test and some hps or whatever it is called to test your health . Does this mean there is a good chance I'll be hired casual ? Would I be guarenteed full time after 30 days ? I know nothing about union jobs if you didn't already make that assumption , but I've heard it's the way to go and after 3 years OTR I sure hope so . Any info is appreciated .

welcome smooth been with yellow in c-bus since last summer/ worked good til jan 1st then have been laidoff all year just called back june 26/ it is a great job but be prepared for layoff after holidays your 1st couple of years/ have been told by all drivers its a job worth waiting for and from what i have experienced thats true/

as far as is this the way to go? uniuon i mean? i like tio say that it took me 25 years to get smart and make the change/ just think you will be 22yrs ahead of me if you stick it out/ IT IS WORTH WAITING FOR! and please dont let the 10 percenters get to you once you are working for us/the 10% are the ones you cant make happy no matter what/ they would ***** even if their checks were sent and they never had to work which some are / goodluck and hang in there

Smooth,

I was hired for Cleveland Linehaul in April. They told me there would be enough work to live on. Well within two weeks of being hired they laid guys off. I hadnt even gotten a work call yet. I am still waiting for a work call. To the best of my knowledge I am still on the extra board. You will be in the union 30 days after your first run, which I am still waiting for. Until then you have no rights to unemployment, dock work etc. In other words, I had to get another job because I quit my road job for Yellow and never worked?:duh: It's a great job 2-3 years down the road but it will test your patience and your checkbook until then. You have enough experience to get local work that will pay well right from the start but it wont be as good as the union place will be later on. So you have to decide on whats important to you. I dont understand why they're still hiring when they havent used the ones they hired 3 mos ago?

yo...

sit in the parking lot and look at all the old men coming to work......

then think how you could be sitting 5 years from now......

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I read about every post on Yellow before I posted , so I have a decent idea what to expect . I don't even know if I have the job , I guess time will tell . And Revitup , I have no idea why they are hiring new drivers and laying off others , But I'm willing to wait it out . I'm 25 without any kids , I have a gf , but luckily she is self sufficient and isn't a gold digger . So this is where I absolutely want to be , even if it means waiting a few months or more for that chance . I just hope I have a job and get locked into the union asap .

Smooth said:
I read about every post on Yellow before I posted , so I have a decent idea what to expect . I don't even know if I have the job , I guess time will tell . And Revitup , I have no idea why they are hiring new drivers and laying off others , But I'm willing to wait it out . I'm 25 without any kids , I have a gf , but luckily she is self sufficient and isn't a gold digger . So this is where I absolutely want to be , even if it means waiting a few months or more for that chance . I just hope I have a job and get locked into the union asap .

Welcome to the boards Smooth and good luck with the new job. It sound to me that the job is yours if you pass all the tests.

Smooth,
Go for it. You'll be glad you did in time. Nobody mentioned this yet, but there are no road casuals in the Central Conference....there are only city and dock casuals.

There is alot of stress'ers, but after a couple of years of rolling with things you'll be set. Also, you will not be an "At-Will employee" anymore either! TRUST ME from past experiences in comparison to being union, it is night an day! Overall, try to set aside cash threw out the year when u can and have a cushion to fall back on in hard times. Finally, September,August and November I heard will be the busiest the year.....? Good luck.

Life is good in Richfield

I've been at Richfield a couple years. I am definitely thrilled to be there. This summer is slower than last though. If you can afford the hop, make your start when you can, but keep your old job if possible. It may be an extremly tough year to get in. You will probably need to get another job to make your first year as you may not really get to roll much until next year. That said there is no substitute for a good union job. My impression is that they are trying to fill the wagons fuller and send less out. :smilie_132:

Hey all , thanks for the replys . I was there in Richfield taking my drug test and doing the physical workout . Everything went well , excpet for one of the guys in the class . I couldn't believe the nerve of this guy , he brought his dog , and was walking it in the main parking lot before it started , not to mention parking his car with all the trailers and trucks by the main building . So hopefully , I will be getting a call soon , and get to head to orientation sometimne late next week . In the meantime , I'll keep my other job until , I'm in the union 30 days after my first run . Time to head down to Texas to start my 7 days out .

Smooth said:
Hey all , thanks for the replys . I was there in Richfield taking my drug test and doing the physical workout . Everything went well , excpet for one of the guys in the class . I couldn't believe the nerve of this guy , he brought his dog , and was walking it in the main parking lot before it started , not to mention parking his car with all the trailers and trucks by the main building . So hopefully , I will be getting a call soon , and get to head to orientation sometimne late next week . In the meantime , I'll keep my other job until , I'm in the union 30 days after my first run . Time to head down to Texas to start my 7 days out .

Well, at least you know one guy who won't be on the list ahead of you.

I made just over 50K my first full year, 8 months at 75%. Bottom of the board. Now almost 3 years into it and already close to 40so far this year, heading into the busy time. Thats a good incentive to to stick it out. Yellow will throw you wheelbarrow loads of money if you are willing to work any and all hours.

Hy all , so I had my driving test and orientation today . Everything went okay . The driving test we did was a little disorganized , as I had an appointment for 9 and got in the truck about 1115 . Then can the endless videos and paperwork . I understand there required to show these , but it got a little repitetious after hearing that your supposed to contact your supervisor after a hazmat spill about the 10th time . Other then that it went well , the union came in and spoke for about an hour , and as of now I'm aviable if they need me . They said it was busy lately , contrary to what I've been seeing on here so I don't know what to expect . Any tips for new guys is always appreciated and thanks for all the replies .

Tips --- good or bad

First and foremost, Doubles don't backup !!
You actually can a little in a straight line, but you'll jacknkife the dolly. Backing on an incline, especially if turned can whack your dolly crank. Always, Always, Always leave yourself extra room when going around a bend. If you need to brake suddenly, your tractor and lead go straight, the dolly locks and it, with your kite continue in the direction they are aimed. You need to be able to release the brake long enough to catch them before you lose control of them.
Just when you think you're gonna make that sharp, sharp U turn in the truckstop, your gonna smack your trailors. If your kite is empty, it will leave the ground on bumpy Ohio roads. If your kite is tail heavy, it follows the grooves in the road and will drift easier than usual. If they want to 3rd bed you, have the dispatcher sign for it before you leave on 3rd bed. If they refuse, call Cleveland, let them know you need them to sign when you get home. If you are on a mini, use code K, not listed on pay sheet, for all time spent waiting at intermediate terminals you deserve paid for. A turn is only a turn, after its been completed, so bring your stuff anyway. If a unit shows fresh damage (shiny), have dispatcher sign it was there in area on top of pay sheet, before you leave, so you don't get blamed later. Carry food in your bag, just in case. Carry pliers, utility knife, wire ties, electrical tape and glad hand rubbers, to do minor dark terminal repairs. Shop will give you tape, ties and rubbers if you ask. Wow, all I can think of off the top. Hope it helps. One more, whenever you stop, always check your trailer seals, glad hand, pintle, fifth wheel connections and cords, someone might screw w/your unit. :wavey: