closing of jb

daycab18

TB Lurker
Credits
guess the bigwigs where in detroit this week and closed up shop,no more jb term,means more west michigan frgt pushed out to j2,and j7 left to service the east side

guess the bigwigs where in detroit this week and closed up shop,no more jb term,means more west michigan frgt pushed out to j2,and j7 left to service the east side

Yup that's the case in a nutshell. JB didn't do for us what we needed. Just added a bunch of cost, but tonnage never came. Mostly due to economic conditions up there. With local manufacturing tanking, it just didn't make sense. Taking the cost out of this is a good thing and service will improve. We're seeing the same positive results out of the J9 consolidation from last year. I should know, all the customers are mine.

This is a pretty much a non-event.

Hey Gab, alot of purchase transportation in the yard this week "prime" are they shuttling to j2? or are they getting road frieght?

Hey Gab, alot of purchase transportation in the yard this week "prime" are they shuttling to j2? or are they getting road frieght?

weather. plain and simple. tonnage throught the roof at j2 due to freezables at the same time that it's hard to move with the lovely wintery mix their getting. plan's in place to clean it up. don't expect to see the backlog we experienced last year.

it's all good

Yup that's the case in a nutshell. JB didn't do for us what we needed. Just added a bunch of cost, but tonnage never came. Mostly due to economic conditions up there. With local manufacturing tanking, it just didn't make sense. Taking the cost out of this is a good thing and service will improve. We're seeing the same positive results out of the J9 consolidation from last year. I should know, all the customers are mine.

This is a pretty much a non-event.

hope they have one hell of a plan,j7 had 20+ loads left over thurs. nite,now add jb frgt into the mix, hope it all works,never had any bad feelings but they're starting to creep in

We have loads we cant cover every weekend
thats nothing new, that could be second and third day freight that hasn't moved or apointment freight, never the less it's opertational problem that we can not let get out of hand, We have to manage our power alot better.

We have loads we cant cover every weekend
thats nothing new, that could be second and third day freight that hasn't moved or apointment freight, never the less it's a opertational problem that can not let get out of hand and we have to manage our power alot better.

I wish they would pay us time and a half on mileage for those Saturday runs and I would be right there. Say ummmm .60cpm to work weekends---sounds better---and .75 cpm to run Doswell cuz thats a 2 day run from J3 on the weekends----hahaha

good deal

Ask any road or regional driver who's been to jb and you'll get the same reply. Get ready to spend 2 or 3 days there working local , and not for hourly but stops and miles added to the same trip you went there on. And the dock always looked like crap- no pride.
Good move mgmt. I'll start running there again now that I won't be captured!

hope they have one hell of a plan,j7 had 20+ loads left over thurs. nite,now add jb frgt into the mix, hope it all works,never had any bad feelings but they're starting to creep in

Daycab, here I go again with my positive spin on things, but the truth is the truth. Last year if you'll recall, the extended deep freeze in the midwest/northeast caused us a problem. In February 07, we had a huge spike in tonnage due to the fact that we run the largest heated fleet in the industry. It's a category we own. Well as the month wore on, we had touble moving the frt due to the continued bad weather. Trucks freezing up, unsafe roads, driver bookoffs due to safety issues, etc... We didn't recover from this really till April. We had some customers punish us, and the other customers that we helped during the freeze did what they usually do, they went right back to their lower cost, lower quality providers when the temps went back up.

We vowed to be much more selective this year. Priority has been given to the customers who truly partner with us.

We have in place a game plan that is reveiwed every day by Sr Mgmnt as well as key ops/cust svc staff.

All that being said, we still experience backlogs, but there is a solid plan in place and I can tell you that compared to last year, the freight is moving and any backlog is a fraction of what we had last year. It's all good.

Now, generally speaking, 2008 is the year of concentrating on PROFITS. Sun has no interest in running our company. Proof of this is that the same management staff is still in place 18 months after the purchase.
They have no interset in making us bigger/smaller or anything else like Yellow and then SCS. We just have to be profitable.
So with things like JB, if it can't help us turn a buck, we don't need it.

One last note on Tim C.: whatever issues you might have, this is a guy we need in our foxhole. 15 years here. Working his tail off with tenacity and intensity. I wish you guys saw the 2 blobs we had in place prior. You'd never know them because they sat in their offices all day on email and looking out their office windows to see who was hanging out on the ramp. Tim is a guy you need going into battle. Every day talking with each facility ensuring the right people are doing the right things. Every day working with me in sales to ensure the key customers are protected. Weekly interfacing to discuss any issues in sales that ops can help rectify.

Whatever any of your respective beefs are with him, I'm in the fan club because I know without a shadow of a doubt that he is instrumental in making sure I will never have to be on the end of a conference call announcing our closure. I've been there twice and I'll do everyhting I can to never let that happen either.

40016fl4.jpg
Daycab, here I go again with my positive spin on things, but the truth is the truth. Last year if you'll recall, the extended deep freeze in the midwest/northeast caused us a problem. In February 07, we had a huge spike in tonnage due to the fact that we run the largest heated fleet in the industry. It's a category we own. Well as the month wore on, we had touble moving the frt due to the continued bad weather. Trucks freezing up, unsafe roads, driver bookoffs due to safety issues, etc... We didn't recover from this really till April. We had some customers punish us, and the other customers that we helped during the freeze did what they usually do, they went right back to their lower cost, lower quality providers when the temps went back up.

We vowed to be much more selective this year. Priority has been given to the customers who truly partner with us.

We have in place a game plan that is reveiwed every day by Sr Mgmnt as well as key ops/cust svc staff.

All that being said, we still experience backlogs, but there is a solid plan in place and I can tell you that compared to last year, the freight is moving and any backlog is a fraction of what we had last year. It's all good.

Now, generally speaking, 2008 is the year of concentrating on PROFITS. Sun has no interest in running our company. Proof of this is that the same management staff is still in place 18 months after the purchase.
They have no interset in making us bigger/smaller or anything else like Yellow and then SCS. We just have to be profitable.
So with things like JB, if it can't help us turn a buck, we don't need it.

One last note on Tim C.: whatever issues you might have, this is a guy we need in our foxhole. 15 years here. Working his tail off with tenacity and intensity. I wish you guys saw the 2 blobs we had in place prior. You'd never know them because they sat in their offices all day on email and looking out their office windows to see who was hanging out on the ramp. Tim is a guy you need going into battle. Every day talking with each facility ensuring the right people are doing the right things. Every day working with me in sales to ensure the key customers are protected. Weekly interfacing to discuss any issues in sales that ops can help rectify.

Whatever any of your respective beefs are with him, I'm in the fan club because I know without a shadow of a doubt that he is instrumental in making sure I will never have to be on the end of a conference call announcing our closure. I've been there twice and I'll do everyhting I can to never let that happen either.

Yeah i am sure Tim is doing good as you say but he should talk to employees as a regular person not some pissed off ahole who talks down to people we did give this guy the benefit of the doubt UNTIL he said all that stupid stuff about drivers and dock workers REMEMBER you get more flys with honey than you do vinagar :hide: