Estes | Combo driver

Ram7387

TB Lurker
Credits
Does Combo driver at Estes mean Dock/driver come in work dock then go out on a run. I’m coming over from OD that’s what a combo driver was there.

Basically as a combo driver you'll work the dock, run a local route, or fill in a hub run. If you're working the dock and they need a hostler and if you can drive a yard dog, you'll do that too.

Basically as a combo driver you'll work the dock, run a local route, or fill in a hub run. If you're working the dock and they need a hostler and if you can drive a yard dog, you'll do that too.
I thought OD was doing away with combos and just let the Dock deal with it

Keep in mind that combo drivers are treated like trash more so than any other classification. As soon as things slow up you’ll be the first to take the hit. Also keep in mind that all of your combo time will count towards the next classification you cross over to. IE: If you spend 5 years combo and sign up for linehaul then you’ll have 5 years worth of linehaul time. So really feel out and think about what you’d like to do the most before you cross over to city, hub or linehaul.

Keep in mind that combo drivers are treated like trash more so than any other classification. As soon as things slow up you’ll be the first to take the hit. Also keep in mind that all of your combo time will count towards the next classification you cross over to. IE: If you spend 5 years combo and sign up for linehaul then you’ll have 5 years worth of linehaul time. So really feel out and think about what you’d like to do the most before you cross over to city, hub or linehaul.
My interview nothing was mentioned about combo driver all that was talked about was local PD which is always what Ive done. But Ive seen ads for drivers for the terminal I interviewed for and now it says combo driver. So is that always how you start at Estes or is it case by case or by need at the time

My interview nothing was mentioned about combo driver all that was talked about was local PD which is always what Ive done. But Ive seen ads for drivers for the terminal I interviewed for and now it says combo driver. So is that always how you start at Estes or is it case by case or by need at the time
Its demand , some drivers are hired onto a linehaul or city work on the 1st day , when a new terminal opens up new hires in that area get lucky

It’s case by case really but if they really need one or the other they’ll hire directly into a certain classification. If you hire as combo your dock rate will be lower than anyone else out there working the dock with you, it sucks. Your other duty rates will pay the same as anyone else in that particular classification, but not the dock.

Combo drivers fill in for linehaul runs at big terminals. If I couldn't get linehaul, combo would be my #2 choice