FedEx Freight | Conflict of Interest and Part Time jobs

princess

smh..
Credits
I think FedEx should give the drivers a little more leeway when it come to who they can and can not work for.

As it is right now if a city driver getting 15-20 hours a week wants to get a weekend job at Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, most warehouses,etc... They say it's a conflict of interest.

I think this should be lifted, at least for a while anyway.

As long as a driver has his time off and available hours and turns in logs FedEx should let drivers do what they need to to support their families.

Thoughts anyone?

I would do it anyway. I got bills, rent and family. Unless FXF wants to pay ALL the above! You gotta do what you gotta do!!

Yes, this is true, however, if one of your fellow drivers happens to make a delivery at a place where you work PT and goes and tells your center manager you can be fired & that would suck.

As it is right now if a city driver getting 15-20 hours a week wants to get a weekend job at Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, most warehouses,etc... They say it's a conflict of interest.

Thoughts anyone?

I don't see the conflict there... Now if it was ups, or another carrier, yes, even though I've known drivers that worked the dock at night for a competitor with no harm coming to them.

Who the hell does FedEx think they are to tell you what you can do off their clock. It sounds like they are acting like they have a contract with the drivers to just work for them. Well we all know who would also be involved if we did have a contract with them, and it cant be said in this forem because of rule number 8.:realmad:

Who the hell does FedEx think they are to tell you what you can do off their clock. It sounds like they are acting like they have a contract with the drivers to just work for them.

They are the employer, that's who. You signed a form when you came to work about not working somewhere else unless it's approved. It's in the handbook too. Why is it so bad that FedEx doesn't want you working for a competitor?

And yes... I think they should let "part time" (note the quotes) drivers work somewhere else as long as it's not a direct competitor.

They are the employer, that's who. You signed a form when you came to work about not working somewhere else unless it's approved. It's in the handbook too. Why is it so bad that FedEx doesn't want you working for a competitor?

And yes... I think they should let "part time" (note the quotes) drivers work somewhere else as long as it's not a direct competitor.

What handbook are you talking about ? the viking one I have in my toolbox or the one online they can (and do ) change at the time it is best for them

Why is it so bad that FedEx doesn't want you working for a competitor?

Lowes and Home Depot are not competitors except with each other.

I could understand them not wanting you to drive for someone, but unloading containers or working in a warehouse should be no skin off their a**!

Only my opinion -----some people work another full time job and still work for us but nobody says anything about it. They work 40 to 50 hrs for fedex as long as it does not go over 60 hrs combined. I say let them be, no body checks 2nd employer. Only you and your tax man knows . It is wrong if you disobey dot rules i think. I'm open to listen . Just my thoughts. By the way what jobs are not in conflict

I do believe I signed a form when I went to work for American, but I dont seem to be able to find the FedEx handbook. Oh thats right they dont have a printed copy, its all on the computer at work which we dont have the time to sit down and browes through for hours to see what the latest rules are. Anyone know why this is, could it be that they really dont want you to know what the rules are. Plus they can change them with a few key strokes any time they want. KC I bet you would loved to have live back in the days when you shoped at the company store, lived in the company housing, and where watched over by the company police force er security.:bowdown:

Fedex log book

When I log hours in my Fedex log book, I expect to get paid for those hours logged. If I work for someone else, will Fedex pay me for those hours worked, I don't think so. If I'm not working for Fedex, It's off duty in my Fedex log book.

If you're working for someone else, and Fedex needs you to work when you're just getting off work from your part time job, do you think Fedex is going to ask you if you have had a 10 hour break. NO.

Just something else for the lawyers to play around with, Fedex loves lawsuits.:biglaugh:

I do believe I signed a form when I went to work for American, but I dont seem to be able to find the FedEx handbook. Oh thats right they dont have a printed copy, its all on the computer at work which we dont have the time to sit down and browes through for hours to see what the latest rules are. Anyone know why this is, could it be that they really dont want you to know what the rules are. Plus they can change them with a few key strokes any time they want. KC I bet you would loved to have live back in the days when you shoped at the company store, lived in the company housing, and where watched over by the company police force er security.:bowdown:
Our CCM said he would print out anything you wanted if you ask, even the whole book if need be.

In KCY they have a print out laying in dispatch in addition to the kiosk.

I don't really think it's a conspiracy, it saves money by not printing 1000's of copies however they spend money on The Dispatch and Mile Markers so they can get info out so why is the rule book not as important as those referenced and others?

FM

What I do when I am off work is none of Fedex's business, as long as I'm not driving for someone else. I operate a small business on the side and have for years. My time my business.

They only SAY they want you to log other work because they HAVE to say that, per DOT regulations.

I still don't see any conflict with the Lowes/HomeDepot/Target example cited in the first post of this thread.:annoyed:

Lowes and Home Depot are not competitors except with each other.

I could understand them not wanting you to drive for someone, but unloading containers or working in a warehouse should be no skin off their a**!

That's why I said they should lighten up on the rules a little. Maybe it's because we haul for them, I don't know.

KC I bet you would loved to have live back in the days when you shoped at the company store, lived in the company housing, and where watched over by the company police force er security.:bowdown:

I've been on the employer side of things. If FedEx didn't have the rules they have some would take advantage and walk all over them. I've had people working for me that tried at every corner to get one up. It's easier and less time consuming to make a blanket rule for everyone than to deal with each case as it comes up.

Try on a different pair of shoes before you judge. Remember, what I type is my opinion. You don't have to agree with it, but I do have the right to have it.

When I log hours in my Fedex log book, I expect to get paid for those hours logged. If I work for someone else, will Fedex pay me for those hours worked, I don't think so. If I'm not working for Fedex, It's off duty in my Fedex log book.

If you're working for someone else, and Fedex needs you to work when you're just getting off work from your part time job, do you think Fedex is going to ask you if you have had a 10 hour break. NO.

All nice in theory but you are in violation of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.

§395.8 Driver’s record of duty status.

(j) Drivers used by more than one motor carrier. (1) When the services of a driver are used by more than one motor carrier during any 24-hour period in effect at the driver’s home terminal, the driver shall submit a copy of the record of duty status to each motor carrier. The record shall include:

(j)(1)(i) All duty time for the entire 24-hour period;

(j)(1)(ii) The name of each motor carrier served by the driver during that period; and

(j)(1)(iii) The beginning and finishing time, including a.m. or p.m., worked for each carrier.

seriously where is the conflict? i hauled loads out of a menards DC for three years part time and they didnt have a problem with that. we cant even unload trucks at FedEx ground now how is that a conflict? 70 hours is 70 hours. oh yeah where is the rules you mentioned rule #8 how do i find those?

They only SAY they want you to log other work because they HAVE to say that, per DOT regulations.

I still don't see any conflict with the Lowes/HomeDepot/Target example cited in the first post of this thread.:annoyed:

From what I know if a city driver gets a job at the local big box store a few days/hours a week and also makes deliveries during the week while working as a driver for FedEx, they see this as a "conflict of interest".

Pretty much anywhere you deliver to as a FedEx driver is seen as a conflict of interest. This makes it very hard for any local city drivers who just want to pick up maybe 8-15 hours of work to make ends meet. KWIM?

It would be nice if a driver who is hanging in with FedEx hoping to keep his FT job and waiting for the economy to pick up could work at a non- driving job at a big box store for a few bucks without it being a conflict of interest.

:boat: