SAIA | Converter Dolly Recall

NadaTrucker

TB Lurker
Credits
A certain number of the new Great Dane dollys have been placed out of service at the terminal, leaving us short on equipment and not able to move trailers. Someone said they have bad welds and we had an accident somewhere because of it.
Any word on this?

A certain number of the new Great Dane dollys have been placed out of service at the terminal, leaving us short on equipment and not able to move trailers. Someone said they have bad welds and we had an accident somewhere because of it.
Any word on this?
Last fall I personally witnessed an inspection of a specific (unit#) GD gear which revealed a crack in the frame (not the weld) in the tongue. Don't know if this is related. Every location I've been to lately has out of service gears.

I Googled Great Dane Converter Dolly and found two recalls, axle nuts and brake valve, didn't say anything about welds. But maybe that's new.
I'm looking at one right now that has rust running down the brand new paint from the welds at the pintle. Think that's it?

The bad welds are on the front side of spring hanger ( 102500 series ) maybe more?
image_gallery

Buyer beware...similar situation happened a few years back when the "tried and true" Volvos were passed over for the "I can get you a great deal on these internationals." And the internationals spent more time in the shop than pulling freight. Seems eerily similar in this case. Do a good Pretrip!

Any word on this?