XPO | Conway driver fatality in accident today?

That sucks...But I will ask all of you, because you are the pros at this: If you were going to go on that run, and you had a fear that it might be dangerous, and you may be in personal danger, what would have been the first thing you would have done after starting that tractor..?? I know what I would have done...Why he didn't, we will never know..I know nothing of that turnpike, but when I hear the word, I think of bridge, We all know the most dangerous piece of highway in the snow or ice...He must not have been too uncomfortable...Maybe he hit a "patch"...maybe the road was fine until he hit that patch...I'm sure the investigators know...maybe that will be made public shortly...But to blame some else for this is ludicrous....and extremely unfair...
I will apologize for the way I went off on this thread, but I am not sorry for the message itself..
there are still people in this company that do not wear seat belts . why i still do not understand . but from the picture i saw i don't think it would have made a difference .

That sucks...But I will ask all of you, because you are the pros at this: If you were going to go on that run, and you had a fear that it might be dangerous, and you may be in personal danger, what would have been the first thing you would have done after starting that tractor..?? I know what I would have done...Why he didn't, we will never know..I know nothing of that turnpike, but when I hear the word, I think of bridge, We all know the most dangerous piece of highway in the snow or ice...He must not have been too uncomfortable...Maybe he hit a "patch"...maybe the road was fine until he hit that patch...I'm sure the investigators know...maybe that will be made public shortly...But to blame some else for this is ludicrous....and extremely unfair...
I will apologize for the way I went off on this thread, but I am not sorry for the message itself..
The entire state of Oklahoma was a "patch"yesterday and today,a kid from Louisiana might not know what bobtailing on ice is like,Whoever sent him out would have to know that it was dangerous out there, they were sending him out to retreive trailers that someone else was having trouble pulling.Should have dropped the back wagons and went back after them when the weather improved.Ive done it dozens of times in the 25 yrs.Ive pulled triples.

The entire state of Oklahoma was a "patch"yesterday and today,a kid from Louisiana might not know what bobtailing on ice is like,Whoever sent him out would have to know that it was dangerous out there, they were sending him out to retreive trailers that someone else was having trouble pulling.Should have dropped the back wagons and went back after them when the weather improved.Ive done it dozens of times in the 25 yrs.Ive pulled triples.
I see your point, but we send people out every night in rain, snow, wind, fog...
As I keep staring at the picture, I am stunned by the distance between the hwy and the truck..or at least the illusion that the photo seems to create..just doesn't add up...

i do not know how fast you have to be going to roll 1 1/2 times . but it seem when your tires break traction you speed up . i don't know if you do or not . it just seems like that . but you do wear a seat belt !!!!!

I see your point, but we send people out every night in rain, snow, wind, fog...
As I keep staring at the picture, I am stunned by the distance between the hwy and the truck..or at least the illusion that the photo seems to create..just doesn't add up...
I say this with all respect BB enjoy[and look forward to reading your posts]There is few things a driver does that hold s more potential danger to a driver than bobtailing a tractor on anything other than dry pavement,in the rain they hydroplane on a whim,on ice,,well you saw the picture.When I started driving It used to be written on the 1st page of the operators manual warning you that the tractor was designed to to pull a trailer and not pulling one was considered dangerous by the manufacturer.A lot of people[including many drivers]dont seem to be aware of this.Now I don't advocate making bobtailing illegal,but you have to be careful to the extreme when doing it.

I say this with all respect BB enjoy[and look forward to reading your posts]There is few things a driver does that hold s more potential danger to a driver than bobtailing a tractor on anything other than dry pavement,in the rain they hydroplane on a whim,on ice,,well you saw the picture.When I started driving It used to be written on the 1st page of the operators manual warning you that the tractor was designed to to pull a trailer and not pulling one was considered dangerous by the manufacturer.A lot of people[including many drivers]dont seem to be aware of this.Now I don't advocate making bobtailing illegal,but you have to be careful to the extreme when doing it.

You're completely right, and I am going to back away from this now, mainly due to anger over the incident itself and maybe just say a prayer for his family tonight...they need it a whole lot more than any of us right now...

RIP, driver...

May Marcus R.I.P
My prayers go out to his family.

I wonder if we will ever know the details on how this whole thing transpired.

It was tough out there last night and tonight is shaping up to be worse. This is a very sad and unfortunate event.RIP brother

This is the worst sort of tragedy that there is....A family member was lost today, perhaps a father, a son, a brother, a husband, a grandfather maybe...most definitely a co-worker...And what do we get to read?

"I hope they sue the hell out of the SOB that FORCED him to bobtail in those conditions..!!!!"

Which one of you on these boards was standing next to this driver when he was being forced by a white shirt to go out and get killed..!?!?!?!?!?! Which one of you..!!?? Raise your G** D**** hand right now..!!!!

None of you, that I am sure of...

Some of you disgust me to no end at times...

Shame on you....There is only one thing important at the moment, and that is this man's family...I do not know him, never met him I am sure, but he and his family are the most important thing on my mind..

Get your F****** priorities straight, people, and act like a human being...
Everyones priorities are straight BB ... By what you have read here in your time on TB does not scratch the surface of what goes on system wide.
Force from the bottom that is the mentality for a job no ones wants to do... it would not surprise me in the least if linehaul forced that man out to go help the triples drivers. More often then not every other carrier pulled all their drivers off the road in really bad storms... and here we are ..in an Oklahoma ice storm.. where is the integrity on this BB.. all of us HOURLY employees in most other places rather than your barn have the yessem boss attitude to survive and that is not fair at all because this companies core value is integrity? safety? commitment? excellence? bull **** dude .. losing a driver over a trailer full of freight. No freight is worth anyones life. And I hope some sort of ACTION is taken whether legal or somebody gets terminated over this .. regardless it wont bring Marcus back .. the permanent damage is already done.

I hate to stray from this topic but it's also fear factor and intimidation by management.
Most drivers don't want any kind of confrontation, write up or their job threatened.
Some don't even realize they can say "no" if they feel the weather conditions is beyond the scope of their driving ability.

I've heard FOS's throw out the "Are you refusing work?" when a driver refused to drive in the icy heavy snowy conditions. He was suspended but kept his job.
Why?....Because they couldn't cover his run?

Another driver did not want to drive in that same weather either, but did not want confrontation, he drove away pissed off. How can you do your job when you are angry?

A driver refusing to drive in unsafe weather conditions is a gray area that needs to be addressed without setting a precedence where all drivers start to abuse it whenever foul weather arrives.

One thing is, other people drove through that stretch of road that same night and came out okay. It might just have been a case of going too fast for conditions.

driver fatality

way too many variables yet to be found out to conclude anything yet, but i might ask why if a couple of drivers are saying it is too icy to continue on would someone send or someone go out and put more people in harms way. had i been out there i would have to think that i would have tried the chains even if it meant going 2 miles an hour if they were forcing me to go on. alot of poor judgement went on here . time will tell, our saftey is no.1 nothing else matters without that. my thoughts and prayers are with this driver and family and friends.

Prayers to the family.
Up here in the great N.E. we have terminated many a dsr due to refusing to drive in unsafe conditions.

Prayers & condolences to the family . So sad & there is no way to rationalize sending drivers out in that type of weather conditions !

RIP

How sad. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. And yes Im sure he was forced and or intermediated into bobtailing in freezing rain,seen it happen many times. Just as all of us will be today! Be carefull out there drivers. BB you lost my respect.

This is the worst sort of tragedy that there is....A family member was lost today, perhaps a father, a son, a brother, a husband, a grandfather maybe...most definitely a co-worker...And what do we get to read?

"I hope they sue the hell out of the SOB that FORCED him to bobtail in those conditions..!!!!"

Which one of you on these boards was standing next to this driver when he was being forced by a white shirt to go out and get killed..!?!?!?!?!?! Which one of you..!!?? Raise your G** D**** hand right now..!!!!

None of you, that I am sure of...

Some of you disgust me to no end at times...

Shame on you....There is only one thing important at the moment, and that is this man's family...I do not know him, never met him I am sure, but he and his family are the most important thing on my mind..

Get your F****** priorities straight, people, and act like a human being...

BB you lost my respect.
Why do you say this oldtimer50? Are you singling him out because he is management?
Not all TM's are the same way and it appears Boxboss does not condone this type of behavior other members of management have instigated in getting the freight moving.

What I would like to hear as well as others is:
What happens when a driver refuses to drive in foul weather because they feel it is unsafe or beyond their scope of driving?

When does it not become "Refusal to work"?

I know we are all professionals and should be able to drive through these but with intimidation being the factor (refusing work, being late etc.)

When does a driver have a leg to stand on when it comes to weather conditions?

How are you going to explain this without setting a precedence? Is this going to be a case by case basis?
FOS's, management, G.O... please chime in and help some of the drivers that want to know.

Concerning foul weather, Jerry D said "You may be Captain of the ship but that ship will keep moving."

Over time, Conway has clearly stated that the only way to not dispatch in foul weather is if the authorities have shut down the roads.

Have always thought that if you refuse to work, then you would be terminated for insubordination. So I go drive in it, even with tires where the tread measures 3/32".

If I refuse, I lose my job, BUT, if I drive in it, I only incur a chance that I would lose my job (and house) due to a catastrophic crash. This is who we work for; The greatest LTL company of all time!