Cool stuff

Out of all the tractors Ryder/Pie had what was your favorite? Or maybe your favorite of all your extensive driving career?
Yep, same tractor with a setback front axle, 9 spd, 3406.
We had mostly 300 Cummins but the turned-up Cats were horses.
The Louisville was a good freight truck, I didn't care for the 2 stroke oil slingers.

Yep, same tractor with a setback front axle, 9 spd, 3406.
We had mostly 300 Cummins but the turned-up Cats were horses.
The Louisville was a good freight truck, I didn't care for the 2 stroke oil slingers.
Bulldozer engines had the most torque of the three, 855 Cummins were close. The two stroke Detroits were short on torque. Series 60's had good torque & were my favorite to work on. 855 Cummins was the best seller for many years but the Series 60 took over that spot & held it for over 10 years.

Bulldozer engines had the most torque of the three, 855 Cummins were close. The two stroke Detroits were short on torque. Series 60's had good torque & were my favorite to work on. 855 Cummins was the best seller for many years but the Series 60 took over that spot & held it for over 10 years.
I never got to drive the 60 Series Detroit.
In 78 we got our first 50 Brigadiers with 8V 71s.
They could never get the power up on those, G M replaced them with the 6V92s.

I never got to drive the 60 Series Detroit.
In 78 we got our first 50 Brigadiers with 8V 71s.
They could never get the power up on those, G M replaced them with the 6V92s.
The 92 series naturaly had more torque than the 71 series. I think the 6V92 TTA's would make in the 350 HP range. They had wet cylinder liners as opposed to the 71 dry liners. It took several tries at different liner seal material before they were able to keep glycol out of the crankcase. Each seal material change was a different color than the previous. I think every color in the rainbow was used with various assembly lubricants, Crisco was the one decided on at the end. By that time customers were soured on them. Penske bought Detroit Diesel when the Series 60 was first being produced. The 11.1 Liter & 12.7 liter were the first to be built. (DDEC 1-4). Roger Penske was able to bring Detroit Diesel back into competition with Cummins & Caterpillar. He was/is a good businessman.

The 92 series naturaly had more torque than the 71 series. I think the 6V92 TTA's would make in the 350 HP range. They had wet cylinder liners as opposed to the 71 dry liners. It took several tries at different liner seal material before they were able to keep glycol out of the crankcase. Each seal material change was a different color than the previous. I think every color in the rainbow was used with various assembly lubricants, Crisco was the one decided on at the end. By that time customers were soured on them. Penske bought Detroit Diesel when the Series 60 was first being produced. The 11.1 Liter & 12.7 liter were the first to be built. (DDEC 1-4). Roger Penske was able to bring Detroit Diesel back into competition with Cummins & Caterpillar. He was/is a good businessman.
I laughed at the Coast Guard guys.
They complained about the 903s leaking oil in the 41ft boats.
The new 47s came in with 6V92s
I told them, just wait until you run these.
Oh, the new Detroits won't leak oil.
I said they have oil, a blower, and internal pressure, they will leak oil.
It didn't take long for them to learn.

I laughed at the Coast Guard guys.
They complained about the 903s leaking oil in the 41ft boats.
The new 47s came in with 6V92s
I told them, just wait until you run these.
Oh, the new Detroits won't leak oil.
I said they have oil, a blower, and internal pressure, they will leak oil.
It didn't take long for them to learn.
The shop policy on Detroit oil leaks was it was not bad enough to fix till enough oil got on drive tires to lose traction & drivers had to back up hills.