Cross Town Beat Down

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi everyone,
Boy today was a beat down and today the cross town beat down won. It beat me. Past couple of months it's been a fight to the finish, but usually I come out on top. Well not today. The cross town beat down won. I put up a good fight though and took a good chunk of it with me, but the route won and got the best of me.

It all started off like this:

I awoke from my slumber promptly at 3:00am then I checked my voice mail and the message from night transit was not very encouraging. They had said that they were just now all 3 of them leaving the warehouse in there little convoy to our yard. I thought uh oh that's not good I'm in trouble. 3 am I am getting up to go to work because I need them to say they will be hitting the yard at 3:45am not me hearing "Yeah were just now leaving will be there post 5 o clock." Hearing that is not good. Not when you have a big fat fat big route that goes all over the place. As some of you know we got a little bit of snow and it made the Pennsylvania Turnpike really bad and that caused a lot of trouble and delay.

Anyhow 5:30am the convoy pulls into the yard well 2 of the three trucks the 3rd truck was half hour back from that. Anyhow all the hooking and unhooking was done and gosh really late in the 5 o clock hour I left the yard and got to my first stop probably at almost 6 which is when I should have been leaving my second stop. Well at this point I'm 2 stops back and that time will not be made up. So I just said well lets just keep it rolling. So I headed to Richfield, Ohio to a stop we do over on Route 21 also known as LTL Row. Some of you may be familiar with it.

I saw a lot of Saia and Fed Ex Freight Linehaul trucks arriving to there terminals. They were probably running late and I'm sure there were a bunch of disgruntled city drivers standing on the dock not very happy about things. I also saw a couple of NEMF trucks parked at the mouth of there yard getting ready to depart. Although there yard was pretty much empty for the most part. Anyhow got that stop done and headed north down town. Did my first down town stop and then went to my second stop.

Already it was getting very late way to late. While I was at my second down town stop a white Ford van pulled up behind me. I recognized the van it was one of ours from our yard. It was one of the bosses coming to help. Anyhow we worked the two of us and got a lot done, but he had to leave in the middle of the day however he did come back. Anyhow he left in the middle of the day and while he left I did about 3 stops and then we met up again. Anyhow even with the two of us working it wasn't enough and we blew the window on one stop and then another stop should have taken our order, but decided they just didn't want to. Funny when I worked in the restaurant industry there was no we don't want to take a delivery. We never refused delivery especially not at 15:00.

I called my boss and said "So and so is " and stopped me and said "Refusing delivery." I said "Yes" he went "Yeah that's what I figured, just get out of there."

I said "Will do." He said "It's alright good try though."

I did tell the customer I said "Are you sure you want to refuse delivery, I'm right here right now standing in front of you."

What grinds my gears a little and it's not anyone in particular, but sometimes when places we go refuse stuff when they really shouldn't it's not that they are to busy, because there not. It's that they don't want to kick it into high gear for 15 minutes. I know for a fact that we have stops that all cry oh we don't have time to do anything at all. Yet if it came time to have a smoke 3 people could all find 10-15 minutes all at the same time to go out and have a smoke. You know there to busy for me, but think about it 3 people working for 15 minutes is the equivalent to 1 person working for 45 minutes. 3 people would have had my delivery packed up and put away before they know it.

Any how two stops didn't make it and ended up coming, back but that's how it goes.