Discussion in 'Jevic Transportation' started by imported_skullduggery, Jan 20, 2008.
if you were the prez of the co.--what would
you do to cut costs????????
1. Equip all road/regional trucks with A.P.U.'s
2. Audit every terminal for office efficency based on staff ratio.
3. Hire more mechanics. Too many trucks sitting with small problems that are having MULTIPLE WRITE UPS
4. Cut the sales staff "business lunches" down based on client's volume of potential freight per month. Too many salesmen bringing dougnuts and pizza to clients who are basically abusing the relationship with sales.
5.Stop making "head loads" out of freight that is sold on 2 day transit when sometimes it doesn't deliver till 3rd day based on dels behind it. Too many good customers are lost to this because of their frustration waiting for freight.
6. Redudce freight sold with appt. required unless the appt freight is a solid customer with good monthly volume. Too many other dels. are late or missed till next day due to the chain reaction waiting for appt. freight to be unloaded.(food whse). We have hazmat training to haul chemicals. Not dry goods for supervalue. Let's stop wasting our time chasing nickels and missing dollars with other good freight.
7. Get a better repor with drivers with legitimate complaints. Too much driver turnover leads to wasted spending in recruting and driver development. Our biggest turnover time is the driver's 1st 6 months.
8. Audit of middle management. Not a popular subject with office personnel, but one that needs to be addressed.
9. Too many frivolous items handed out for safe driver awards. I personally have 6 jackets. i can only wear 1 at a time. a better solution would be a percentage raise of the safety bonus yearly based on senority. example:$2500/10 yrs. $2625/11yrs and so on.
10 . better selection of uniform shirts.
a driver might be willing to help with cost of shirts if they have a choice of types of shirts .
11. Block heaters for ALL trucks in fleet.
I recently wrote a T check for $225 to have a road service start my truck. This is especially prevolent at terminals with shops that are continuouslly wasting time starting day cabs when they have work backing up in the shops.
12. Audit of ALL trailers with heaters for inspection and repairs. Too much money wasted here also with road calls to jump heaters. On the road and at dark terminals/drop lots. This ties in also with missed p/u's due to lack of properly running heaters.
13. We have shops on the road for breakdowns with national accounts. We should utilize them for P M's as well on all road units and day cabs in areas without terminals. A road driver wihout his truck for a night due to a p m, will need to get a hotel room. Adding more cost. A p m on the road over a weekend when they are out with time to spare can be done in a few hrs.
this goes back to lack of shop personell.
well said noneb,
keep the ideas coming guys
thanx noneb for that effort !!
if u want to print it and post it, feel free. every terminal could put it on the bulliten board if they really are serious about driver input. Maybe some other drivers can come up with some more ideas.
I hope everyone is aware of the current pay scale for the shuttle drivers who have been with Jevic for 13,14,15 plus years. The current mileage rate is less than what a new hire with experience makes. Road or Regional. (Shuttle drivers should make the regional rate if not the road rate alomg with the drop and hook pay.) Let us not forget the ten thousand rehire bonus.. Another point is, what would a driver rather do? Drive three thousand miles a week at fourty cents a mile (with another company) and not touch any freight or work as hard our drivers do and make the same money. Note: What is wrong with people making money anyways... Years of reliability goes a long way...........
blue heron,but don't you get stop pay
to deal with the hell holes ect.?
check the rates with other companys and
and see what their shuttle/linehaul drivers
make. our shuttle drivers don't even
come close. even nc pays theirs rd rate.
so why are you against a guy getting
typical giant fan!!!
Get the personell who use the equiptment
involved in specing it.These volvo trks are junk.Ask any dockworker,the mitsubishi lifts are not as good as the toyotas.
Go back to the big pro lables.Dock guys say they were easier to see.Now they have to stop to read them,meaning more time.
Go back to color coded straps.Grey=short yellow=long
Alow for more time between cut and dispatch.Now,if there is a problem,we are late.
Give drivers Red Tags to put inside defective trailers for the whse guys to see.Now its up to the tower,if they bother to look at the msgs
Agreed on less trinkets
x--nice imput there--u made some great points.
Ever heard of "paying your dues?" 11,12,13,14 years, yeah, you deserve it. You've done the Hell holes, got paid $15 for doing it, and managed to put up with this crowd (nothing has changed, only the faces, to protect the guilty). Oh, and Re: getting home same time every day, try my shuttle: Since J9 closed, and my shuttle comes out of the "White Castle", I never know for sure WHEN my relay will get to me, or when I'll get back. Jevic, as usual, doesn't recognize 'cut times' unless they can use them to reprimand a driver. When does this crap about just being a wheel-holder ever end? The cuts in shuttle pay are the second-worst reason for delays now: Nobody with a good, dependable work history @ Jevic wants a 75-100 $/wk cut just to be jerked around like rookies. So, the Best of The Best don't sign for them anymore, unless they are sick of their current positions. Not to forget, but the #1 reason for delays is Jevic.
notneb you make some great points, but you also got to give props to the dock guys, and the mechanics. you know as well as i do, if things were going better for personal moral this would be a once again GREAT co. to work for, but all we get is the same old story and same old dance .it does not cost alot to run this co. right. We hear it all the time that all of our top leaders have years in the trucking industry and it seem like to us they have thier head up thier a** nobody has any balz around here to take the co. by the raines and steer it into the proper direction until anbody does we should be called JAFCO not JEVIC (jafco just another frieght co.)
Install fuel pumps in J1.That will make another driver avbl,atleast between fuel runs,to move frt instead of hanging out in the shop.
Not to get off the subject but I had a driver tell me that was told by a another driver that 14 guys quit/left the barn in the Worcester area. Any truth to that??
I have no problems with the shop guys at all. I know that they are busy as hell. But redundant chores(starting gelled trucks in winter is a huge moral buster for them as well as drivers.) As far as the dock guys... way too many hrs on a forklift makes for a really grumpy dock guy.
freightgal, i have some good sources up
at j6 ----ill look into it.
Separate names with a comma.