R&L | Cyber Monday Rush..

Recap Slinger

TB Lurker
Credits
We’re being told that the week after Thanksgiving will be super busy this year. All time off requests have been denied or cancelled, even our mechanics.
They’ve hired 4 new combo drivers with another 2 more coming in the next week or two (that we didn’t need) in anticipation for this. So far they are canceling line haul drivers so the new drivers can work. I asked one of the line haul drivers about it and he said they told him he could just use a vacation day and we can’t let the new guys sit home and not work. Plus, it cheaper to work a new hire. We’ve always been encouraged to cash our vacation days in, (which I refused to do) but I don’t want to use them this way either.

We’re being told that the week after Thanksgiving will be super busy this year. All time off requests have been denied or cancelled, even our mechanics.
They’ve hired 4 new combo drivers with another 2 more coming in the next week or two (that we didn’t need) in anticipation for this. So far they are canceling line haul drivers so the new drivers can work. I asked one of the line haul drivers about it and he said they told him he could just use a vacation day and we can’t let the new guys sit home and not work. Plus, it cheaper to work a new hire. We’ve always been encouraged to cash our vacation days in, (which I refused to do) but I don’t want to use them this way either.

Let me get this straight, they cancelled senior drivers so new drivers could work? And cancelled already approved vacations? Sounds like a rogue TM or regional managers idea, because I’m certain corporate wouldn’t approve of this.

Let me get this straight, they cancelled senior drivers so new drivers could work? And cancelled already approved vacations? Sounds like a rogue TM or regional managers idea, because I’m certain corporate wouldn’t approve of this.
Yep, cancelled our #1 guy Thursday night, and two more Friday. One of the guys told me the supervisor said, “we need to let the new guys work so they will stay.” I’m being told our regional manager is the one freaking out about cyber Monday. He said we need “all hands on deck”, even going to have our salesman in a straight truck if needed. . They’ve cancelled vacations and personal days here for years.

Yep, cancelled our #1 guy Thursday night, and two more Friday. One of the guys told me the supervisor said, “we need to let the new guys work so they will stay.” I’m being told our regional manager is the one freaking out about cyber Monday. He said we need “all hands on deck”, even going to have our salesman in a straight truck if needed. . They’ve cancelled vacations and personal days here for years.
If you want the new guys to work, canceling vacations seems like the wrong way to do it. Thats how new guys get to work more.

You need to be on the phone with Wilmington... Can't cancel vacation days.. Definitely something wrong going on at that terminal ... What you allow, will continue...

You need to be on the phone with Wilmington... Can't cancel vacation days.. Definitely something wrong going on at that terminal ... What you allow, will continue...
We’ve made several calls to the big house over the years, all it does is puts a target on you. HR will call our TM and let him know who called and what we told them.

I don’t think it’s the right thing to do, but in reality we are “at will” employees, there’s no law or rules they have to follow regarding our approved time off.