SAIA | Dallas Saia Starting in late fall? I screwed up

fief

TB Lurker
Credits
So Last year I was set to start at Saia Dallas after meeting with manager but chose to wait til spring when frieght picked up. Well I f-d up and got my first ticket ever in my 11 yr 1 million mile+ driving career. I went down a no trucks posted road (a street I deliver to weekly) but turned off early (first time ever) instead of backtracking so got a ticket. Then was told by Saia recruiter I had to wait 6 months after the conviction (not ticket date but the date I pay) to hire on. Well the city didn't put it into their system for another 2 months so I could pay, thus dragging out the hire time to 8+ months,

Nov 1st I can hire on to the Dallas / Grand Prairie Terminal, so the Recruiter says. BUT That is close to their slow down time from what I understand. Is it wise to hire on that late for LTL? I currently make $4,000 take home a month and need to at least maintain that amount.
Is it likely I will during slow season starting at the bottom. I'm desperate to jump ship with my current company I've been at for 7 years now slinging groceries. .
Also, how easy is it to transfer to out of state Terminals after your hired? Wife wants to head west within the next 6 months to a year.

Tough call. When it slows down, terminals do a reduced staff and sit people home. How often, and how it is enforced is a whole other can of worms. You can transfer, provided that there is an opening at the destination. Some terminals are full, others not so much. Good luck

I left my food service job back in May 2013. Very glad I did. Was rough at first learning how freight worked compared to food service but as long as your willing to work weekends and/or whenever they call you'll be fine. I averaged bring home pay was over $1,000 weekly but I begged to work and never said no to anything or anyone.

I ended up going team after a year and make way more than I ever did slinging groceries for 10+ years. Benefits are great and really cheap compared to my previous job.

I don't know what you mean by moving West. CA & the Northwest were offering the big sign on bonuses and looked to be hurting. Why not hire on there and your wife can catch up with you? Begin earning tenure and soak up the OT in the process. Rent yourself a dump apartment and work your nads off. My two cents.