ABF | Dash-cam / Personal Entertainment

Central Transport? ....Back when Central was Union? I hauled body panels out of Fisher Body Pittsburgh to GM Baltimore for Central as a Union O/O.....
I also hauled castings out of Central Foundry (Tilton Plant) in Danville, IL. Every outbound was heavy all the time. Central Transport was the major outbound carrier @ Tilton for a long time. Filthy place. They cast Brake rotors, intake & exhaust manifolds, tie rod ends, etc for all 3 major car makers. Some in the plant would make their quota every day in 6 hours & go home early paid for eight. Now that is what I call a Union Contract worth paying dues for. von.

Don't recall ever going to New Ark DE, did a lot out of Baltimore and Tarrytown, If I went west I did Janesville Wi or picked up Checker cabs in Mi. IIRC

I can remember a lot of Anchor trucks running up Rt.41 and Rt. 1 onto Rt. 30 through Lancaster Pa. And I snagged a couple of Chevy loads out of Tarrytown.......Out of the VW plant at New Stanton, we ran a lot of NYC both downtown and metro. Long Island, too.
Tarrytown was a good trip lease backhaul..........So was Port Newark NJ......
But Chrysler K cars out of Newark Del. was the easiest backhaul........no triplease.......right back to W. Penna....

Two loads to NYC......two backhauls right back to W. Penna.........Nice week!

I forgot about the Checker cabs.......Kenosha Auto and Arco Auto usually hauled those heavy dinosaurs. Never hauled ‘em......

I can remember a lot of Anchor trucks running up Rt.41 and Rt. 1 onto Rt. 30 through Lancaster Pa. And I snagged a couple of Chevy loads out of Tarrytown.......Out of the VW plant at New Stanton, we ran a lot of NYC both downtown and metro. Long Island, too.
Tarrytown was a good trip lease backhaul..........So was Port Newark NJ......
But Chrysler K cars out of Newark Del. was the easiest backhaul........no triplease.......right back to W. Penna....

Two loads to NYC......two backhauls right back to W. Penna.........Nice week!

I forgot about the Checker cabs.......Kenosha Auto and Arco Auto usually hauled those heavy dinosaurs. Never hauled ‘em......

The union carhauler guys I knew were paid only one way, but it was double our pay scale,if they got a backhaul, it was a jackpot.

The union carhauler guys I knew were paid only one way, but it was double our pay scale,if they got a backhaul, it was a jackpot.

Yessir! They paid double freight rate for loaded trucks......nothing deadhead.....
Paid well enough to get you back to your home terminal empty......

But, if you wanted to make big bucks,....and didn’t mind being on the road.....you backhauled/tripleased all over.....
The only rule was that you had to return to your home terminal once a month to maintain seniority.......

There were 3 years in the early ‘80’s where I maxed out my Social Security contributions........there was a cap.......
Only time in my working career where I did that.......

Ugliest Trucks on the road! But....the best looking paychecks!
No sleeper bunk.......company paid for nightly motels......Hit any Ryder shop in the nation for repairs/ modifications........

Highway Royalty!

Now that the dash cam's are installed it seems my Tm can't step away from his screen from watching our every move, & now he is encouraging others in the office to join in. He is even going as far as taking still pictures. Any other terminals having this problem? I thought they were going to be used in case of a accident? Can they use the footage for discipline. Seeing how slow we are one would think the TM would be out selling, but after several years here and zero accounts why start now.
Driver had a upack on friday out in the sticks could not get up the driveway because of ice. It took him 15 minutes to find service, TM played the camera back to see if he was telling the truth....minute before & a minute after my a$$. Way to trust your driver's! Maybe the fort should look at this TM's accomplishments over the last 7 years....

Last edited:
Driver had a upack on friday out in the sticks could not get up the driveway because of ice. It took him 15 minutes to find service, TM played the camera back to see if he was telling the truth....minute before & a minute after my a$$. Way to trust your driver's! Maybe the fort should look at this TM's accomplishments over the last 7 years....

And why would the driver lie about that? What would he gain by delaying the delivery? What would he gain by sticking around for an extra 15 minutes?
Complete waste of TM’s time......ignorant questioning of an adult employee.......

The lesson learned here is that you’re not trusted..........so, proceed v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y .....so you don’t get inadvertently trapped in your TM’s childish wiles......

And why would the driver lie about that? What would he gain by delaying the delivery? What would he gain by sticking around for an extra 15 minutes?
Complete waste of TM’s time......ignorant questioning of an adult employee.......

The lesson learned here is that you’re not trusted..........so, proceed v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y .....so you don’t get inadvertently trapped in your TM’s childish wiles......
seems like a waste of 15 minutes the T/M's time that could be spent soliciting freight?
Heck, at least call a couple of potential clients??!! Oh well, only 14 days and counting and I won't have to worry about it anymore!!

seems like a waste of 15 minutes the T/M's time that could be spent soliciting freight?
Heck, at least call a couple of potential clients??!! Oh well, only 14 days and counting and I won't have to worry about it anymore!!
How do think we feel....deaf ears for years....

When I was hired at ABF in '92......after working for a slew of other carriers,.......I was told: "ABF doesn't hire children..."
Being pretty jaded after years of carriers pumping Sunshine up my Posterior Fundament ,.....I went: "Yeah, yeah, yeah..."

They proved it to me, though.......for years, my judgement wasn't questioned. What a great morale booster! I could keep my Union values and still be an ABF supporter! I listened to all the guys at Roadway and Yellow, and the non-Unions,.....and I'd be quietly proud that my employer regarded me as more of a...partner, rather than an...adversary.

Looks like ArcBest has decided to abandon those values,........They now need management baby-sitters.......to nag and second-guess their ....Adult employees.
That's a "Top-Down" attitude..........when upper management feels their employees are daily plotting to....cheat the company out of wages. Trust is gone........

Robert Young never felt that way,.....even when the Union employees voted down a wage cut during a hostile takeover attempt. He understood the working people's viewpoint, and never held it against the Union employees.....

Maybe that's why ABF was just about the only Union carrier to survive intact going into the 2000's.........

But,.....Hey! .....this is the 21st Century! You Union guys...."touch labor".....are just marking time until we can replace you with Robots.......In the meantime,.......We Don't Trust You.

When I was hired at ABF in '92......after working for a slew of other carriers,.......I was told: "ABF doesn't hire children..."
Being pretty jaded after years of carriers pumping Sunshine up my Posterior Fundament ,.....I went: "Yeah, yeah, yeah..."

They proved it to me, though.......for years, my judgement wasn't questioned. What a great morale booster! I could keep my Union values and still be an ABF supporter! I listened to all the guys at Roadway and Yellow, and the non-Unions,.....and I'd be quietly proud that my employer regarded me as more of a...partner, rather than an...adversary.

Looks like ArcBest has decided to abandon those values,........They now need management baby-sitters.......to nag and second-guess their ....Adult employees.
That's a "Top-Down" attitude..........when upper management feels their employees are daily plotting to....cheat the company out of wages. Trust is gone........

Robert Young never felt that way,.....even when the Union employees voted down a wage cut during a hostile takeover attempt. He understood the working people's viewpoint, and never held it against the Union employees.....

Maybe that's why ABF was just about the only Union carrier to survive intact going into the 2000's.........

But,.....Hey! .....this is the 21st Century! You Union guys...."touch labor".....are just marking time until we can replace you with Robots.......In the meantime,.......We Don't Trust You.
Morale at my terminal is at a zero and has been that way for years under the current managment, our old TM was old school & understood the value of a good driver, now your only a number looking to screw them over....In his mind

I know you guys like to bash on non-union companies, I used to be a teamster but was laid off during the downturn on ‘08. But not being treated like a child is one of the things that has kept me with my current non-union company, being questioned as an experienced driver who always get there ::shit:: done is is totally unacceptable. Where I work, and I’ve been there since ‘08, I have not once been questioned on anything for any reason, and that is what has kept me there. We got cameras last year, but they’re outward facing only, and even then they don’t use them to discipline us. How do the teamsters even allow management to mess with you guys over camera footage? As a former teamster driver that’s a real head scratcher.

I know you guys like to bash on non-union companies, I used to be a teamster but was laid off during the downturn on ‘08. But not being treated like a child is one of the things that has kept me with my current non-union company, being questioned as an experienced driver who always get there :::shit::: done is is totally unacceptable. Where I work, and I’ve been there since ‘08, I have not once been questioned on anything for any reason, and that is what has kept me there. We got cameras last year, but they’re outward facing only, and even then they don’t use them to discipline us. How do the teamsters even allow management to mess with you guys over camera footage? As a former teamster driver that’s a real head scratcher.
That’s what happens when you hire clerks to be terminal managers....

I know you guys like to bash on non-union companies, I used to be a teamster but was laid off during the downturn on ‘08. But not being treated like a child is one of the things that has kept me with my current non-union company, being questioned as an experienced driver who always get there :::shit::: done is is totally unacceptable. Where I work, and I’ve been there since ‘08, I have not once been questioned on anything for any reason, and that is what has kept me there. We got cameras last year, but they’re outward facing only, and even then they don’t use them to discipline us. How do the teamsters even allow management to mess with you guys over camera footage? As a former teamster driver that’s a real head scratcher.

Yes it is,...isn't it? The so-called "Teamster Leadership" changed a few critical words in the 2013 contract,...taking out the word "not" in the Article about electronic surveillance......
And,...of course,...the companies jumped on that. It's up to guys at the local level,...terminal by terminal, almost,......to protect any sort of right of privacy.

And remember,....we only bash non-Union companies,......not employees. Many guys had to make hard choices.....When I first started to drive, there were 2,300 Union carriers,...big and small,....working under the NMFA....
There are now.......two?......ABF has their own, and the YRC group is operating under the tattered remains of the NMFA.....

So,....many guys were in the same position as you....And me,...I've worked non-Union....
The non-Union management has taken advantage of the conditions created by deregulation,....and are,...what I would call,...in a "honeymoon" period with their employees....Treating them as well as they can,...to forestall any sort of talk about organization.

The .....Honeymoon....will end, next economic downturn. At that point, you may see an...increase in surveillance......to eliminate older drivers with high vacation levels and increasing health problems.
That's the point where you may wish you had Union protection........Especially if you're older........

I've always been of the philosophy that 95% of employees,...are proud of their work ethic. But,...one person's hard day at work...is another person's........nap in the sunshine. Standards vary from employee to employee. That''s why all companies......Union or non-Union,...have some sort of trial period where they can fire you without any recourse....(as long as it isn't discriminatory firing..)

But,....once you're beyond the trial period,.....they've accepted your work ethic.
The thing about a Union is that......they hold the company to those standards........in spite of changing economics.....

Unions don't hire or fire,......the companies do both of those,......Unions merely give you a ...fair hearing. But,...when a company wants to economically increase their bottom line,....painlessly,.......the easiest way is to....shed workers.
"Laid Off" at a non-Union barn is an euphemism for: 'You're Fired"......"Laid Off" at a Union barn,...means Seniority and recall rights.

We all make choices......and I certainly can't denigrate anyone's choice to feed their family. We all know how rough the job can be,...Union or not.
But,....the expansion of driver surveillance can only be fought,...by an Organized group. "Employment-At-Will" has absolutely no protections for an...unjust firing based on intrusive surveillance.

Have you ever tried going over his head? I found out you have to get ahold of someone at the fort. If you just call his boss they bury it to cover each other.if your tm is not doing his job then the region manager looks bad and he will cover his butt. Go to the top for results the fort gets involved things will get settled