Central Transport | Detroit Drivers Bad Day

Funny . . . but that's not the case. Just like you, I am a cat's whisker from the bottom. The only thing I can refuse are appointment stops that have not been scheduled, residential (if I have a 48 or 53), or tight stops you definitely have to use a 42 ft trailer for. We route our own trailer as we break line haul. Supervisors really don't walk around telling us "do this" or "do that." We're all big boys and know what needs to happen.

Sometimes if I am light on stops, I will call a residential customer from the dock and tell them their shipment just came in and I can put it out for delivery today, but they will have to meet me at Walmart; or they can wait until it can be scheduled on a liftgate. Most will gladly take a Walmart-tailgate today over waiting another day or two for curbside delivery. (A driver should never be forced to take a 48 or 53 into a residential neighborhood by any company for any reason)

Senior guys can leave stops for me they don't want, and they do, but they are pretty good about telling me what the problems are with the stop they leave behind. That's the perk of seniority that I'll have someday :)
Yes my brother we are both paying our dues....I'm on something different everyday and that in itself is a pain in the A........Never knowing which dock to hit.....Not knowing their break times....Not knowing the back roads that only a regular route driver would know....The short cuts....I'm really just a floater...a vacation relief guy....an overflow guy...Whatever you want to call it ......I miss the days of knowing my own route like the back of my hand....knowing my customers....The ones that will let me use their forklift when things go wrong...Yep....we are both kinda in the same boat....And after all we have did in this business we find ourselves back at square one......But even with this ...I find the stress level much lower than being a dispatcher...And in your case I'm sure you feel the same way.

I either use a jack stop or turn the jack on it's side. I learned a long time ago to never let freight hold my jack. At my last job they had the rubber stoppers we could use. Saia doesn't seem to have them so looks like I'll have to buy one myself.

I either use a jack stop or turn the jack on it's side. I learned a long time ago to never let freight hold my jack. At my last job they had the rubber stoppers we could use. Saia doesn't seem to have them so looks like I'll have to buy one myself.
You can buy them for not very much....Most guys just take an old strap and cut the ends off of it and tie it to the handle of the jack and then clip it in the etrack.....Flipping them causes the seals to leak....But I would do that before I would leave it unsecure. He didn't make a very smart decision.....The smartest decision I ever made was getting back into driving...I love it. Glad I kept my CDL......I use to dread going to work......Now most the time I look forward to it....Dispatch was a very ungrateful job....You basically ran the city operations but got no credit for it...All the glory and pay went to the TM......He wasn't even able to do my job. His skill set was very limited. Not like in the old days when a TM had to be able to do every job in the terminal.

Yes my brother we are both paying our dues....I'm on something different everyday and that in itself is a pain in the A........Never knowing which dock to hit.....Not knowing their break times....Not knowing the back roads that only a regular route driver would know....The short cuts....I'm really just a floater...a vacation relief guy....an overflow guy...Whatever you want to call it ......I miss the days of knowing my own route like the back of my hand....knowing my customers....The ones that will let me use their forklift when things go wrong...Yep....we are both kinda in the same boat....And after all we have did in this business we find ourselves back at square one......But even with this ...I find the stress level much lower than being a dispatcher...And in your case I'm sure you feel the same way.

"It is better to be humble in spirit with the lowly than to divide the spoil with the proud."

One of you best post ever...you know how I like philosophy...not much your style...that was just for me... Thx Snark

Philosophy was one of my favorite subjects. I too agree with Plato that this world is not the real world but just a shadow or "forms" that are patterned after the "true reality" and I agree with Aristotle that we should strive for virtues by steering our ship to the mean between the extremes.

Philosophy was one of my favorite subjects. I too agree with Plato that this world is not the real world but just a shadow or "forms" that are patterned after the "true reality" and I agree with Aristotle that we should strive for virtues by steering our ship to the mean between the extremes.
The Trains creed,,,,,,,,,,,Every man has a train of thought on which he rides when he is alone....The dignity and nobility of his life, as well as his happiness, depend upon the direction in which that train is going, the baggage it carries, and the scenery through which it travels....Joseph Fort Newton.

you can buy them for not very much....most guys just take an old strap and cut the ends off of it and tie it to the handle of the jack and then clip it in the etrack.....flipping them causes the seals to leak....but i would do that before i would leave it unsecure. He didn't make a very smart decision.....the smartest decision i ever made was getting back into driving...i love it. Glad i kept my cdl......i use to dread going to work......now most the time i look forward to it....dispatch was a very ungrateful job....you basically ran the city operations but got no credit for it...all the glory and pay went to the tm......he wasn't even able to do my job. His skill set was very limited. Not like in the old days when a tm had to be able to do every job in the terminal.

loaddog.com ---- $ 19.95

No pay raises for Detroit terminal, c.t. Will have to total all the bills and fines then program the dolphins to shave time off of all drivers until the accident is paid for. Do you really expect mouroun to pay this out of his own pocket?
Yep....That man is extremely tight.....And very creative in finding ways to stick it to his workers.