Estes | Didn't realize how Petty Estes can be

I never received a letter for this accident, and the local said it’s not contractual. I did write a protest letter but that went nowhere. So I was charged with an accident (that didn’t involve driving) lost all safe driving miles and the local says I wasn’t disciplined and it’s not contractual. Never heard such a thing in 23 years.
Doesn't sound right, what did they sign on the grievance? no merit? we always fought a chargeable/preventable, didn't always win, but didn't give it up easy. did this happen at night? was there working lights? any signs? caution /warning? any bumpers to stop rollways?

Been retired 13 years, so don't know if grievance forms are still the same, but form would say on top, grievance/complaint, if outside of contract you would circle complaint. Example: office manager (female) was the only one allowed to park inside company property next to building, i filed a "complaint" that office shop steward (female) should be shown the same courtesy, i won the complaint

Doesn't sound right, what did they sign on the grievance? no merit? we always fought a chargeable/preventable, didn't always win, but didn't give it up easy. did this happen at night? was there working lights? any signs? caution /warning? any bumpers to stop rollways?
Not to tie up the forum with this, but yes at night very dim and no warning signs. One bumper but it already had a gear in front of it so I didn’t see it. There was no grievance cause I was told it wasn’t contractual and not therefore not grievable. I’ve e-mailed the President of the company and the Vice President of Safety. I’m still trying to fight it but with no union help.

Not to tie up the forum with this, but yes at night very dim and no warning signs. One bumper but it already had a gear in front of it so I didn’t see it. There was no grievance cause I was told it wasn’t contractual and not therefore not grievable. I’ve e-mailed the President of the company and the Vice President of Safety. I’m still trying to fight it but with no union help.
Gets a little sticky once you go outside the union, did you speak to the President of your local? as last resort you could reach out to I.B.T. Freight Director, but it's always good to keep things at its lowest level, more people involved, more screwed up things become

I never received a letter for this accident, and the local said it’s not contractual. I did write a protest letter but that went nowhere. So I was charged with an accident (that didn’t involve driving) lost all safe driving miles and the local says I wasn’t disciplined and it’s not contractual. Never heard such a thing in 23 years.
Sorry to say, but you have a p%ss poor local and a bad BA.
This should never have happened.

Can't help to feel that this story was prefabricated to drum up union support. I'm all for unions but for truthful information. A lost meaning in this day and age.
I'm not pushing anything, just stating facts.
Most companies want their drivers to have good driving records.
It looks much better in front of a jury in case they're involved in a real accident.

I know of a shop bossman that would practically swallow his tongue and make phone calls over this sorta thing.
That same shop bossman approached a driver having a bad day not long ago.
Same shop bossman no longer sees this sorta thing as a problem anymore

Was the tire brand new? Was the lot just freshly painted? The reason I ask is cause I see beings that come from persons that have wombs do that exact thing all the time. Everyone stops and stares . Sounds like a screaming elephant.

I found out the hard way that 1 locked up brake drum out of 18 tires. Is considered an at fault incident worthy of a 5 day off work with no pay. Never left the yard only pulled it around the building. I guess the appeal system doesn't work either. I caused no damage to any company property. Has anyone else had this kind of treatment by the safety dept.
Guessing they don't want to retain any Driver's then , as everybody is hiring Drivers !!

Sorry you work for a chicken s&%t outfit.
That's defective equipment.
They may claim you were negligent, but that's BS.
It would never get to the committee with a union outfit.

Union's got nothing to do with it. FedEx wouldn't do that.

We had a driver pull a trailer with a locked brake drum out of our yard, and onto the highway. I left gate after he did. I actually pulled over about a quarter mile down the road, because I smelled burning rubber, and I thought it was me. I checked all my tires, everything looked fine. I kept smelling the burning rubber, it was really strong. When I got on the highway, there was a FedEx Freight truck with his rear trailer dropped, stopped on the shoulder.

Then I realized what that burning smell was. To my knowledge, nothing happened to that driver.

Sorry to say, but you have a p%ss poor local and a bad BA.
This should never have happened.
If this situation happened to me or one of my guys, I would Article 16 them to death with grievances.
Article-16, Section 2. Dangerous Conditions, Section 7. National Safety, Health & Equipment Committee, and Section 11. Facilities.
Nothing gets their attention more than a grievance(s) over “safe working conditions”.
I wish everyone here had my Business Agent representing them as he is the best I have ever seen at getting problems like this resolved. And usually in the members favor.

If this situation happened to me or one of my guys, I would Article 16 them to death with grievances.
Article-16, Section 2. Dangerous Conditions, Section 7. National Safety, Health & Equipment Committee, and Section 11. Facilities.
Nothing gets their attention more than a grievance(s) over “safe working conditions”.
I wish everyone here had my Business Agent representing them as he is the best I have ever seen at getting problems like this resolved. And usually in the members favor.
I've never been a (at will) employee, never had to deal with crap like that.
Our line driver super would have never written a warning letter for this.

I've never been a (at will) employee, never had to deal with crap like that.
Our line driver super would have never written a warning letter for this.
Agreed. Our yard has more skid marks on it than Talledega from trailers being drug a short distance before realizing that the trailer is faulty and not functioning properly. And every time we have a major storm, it takes an hour or so to round up all the gears that are jammed nose first under a trailer from being blown away by the storm. My Branch Manager understands that mechanical failure and weather conditions cause most of these situations and would never issue discipline unless there was absolute proof that the problem was due to the employee‘s negligence or lack of proper handling.

Agreed. Our yard has more skid marks on it than Talledega from trailers being drug a short distance before realizing that the trailer is faulty and not functioning properly. And every time we have a major storm, it takes an hour or so to round up all the gears that are jammed nose first under a trailer from being blown away by the storm. My Branch Manager understands that mechanical failure and weather conditions cause most of these situations and would never issue discipline unless there was absolute proof that the problem was due to the employee‘s negligence or lack of proper handling.
I just lied, the first 2 years with Ryder, we were not union in Charlotte, 1955-1957.

Our local certainly leave a lot to be desired. That’s probably why it was in trusteeship a few years back…..

Hooked to a set, the front trailer was an old gi trailer. the front trailer brake was stuck on the right side the left side wheel still turned, drove it 300 yards around the terminal and stopped. The stuck wheel left a skid mark on the payment. Asst. terminal wrote an accident report. Safety came back with a letter, stating this was a preventable accident and recommended 5 day susp. without pay, I have the letter. What a joke of a safety dept.
Just an observation here, but if it was in cold temps, possibly the shoes were froze to the drums, a good thing to try is back up a bit, first, then forward, and most times it will break loose. If you drag a trailer 300 yards, most times the tires will be shot. I would not have moved it if I could not rock it back and forth to free the shoes up. And yes, I realize the brake hardware could have been worn but most times backing up will free it up. Sorry, Ted, but I think you made the wrong choice.

Just an observation here, but if it was in cold temps, possibly the shoes were froze to the drums, a good thing to try is back up a bit, first, then forward, and most times it will break loose. If you drag a trailer 300 yards, most times the tires will be shot. I would not have moved it if I could not rock it back and forth to free the shoes up. And yes, I realize the brake hardware could have been worn but most times backing up will free it up. Sorry, Ted, but I think you made the wrong choice.
My own pretrial deal with a set always was, once you're ready to roll make sure the set will roll backwards. If not at first, somewhere in the yard before you go out the gate. This situation, maybe just a tad bit of inexperience got this driver in trouble. Previous posts about backing set up to free shoes from drum, all good advice. Last resort, beat the damn shoe with a hammer. One of the reasons I moved to AZ.

My own pretrial deal with a set always was, once you're ready to roll make sure the set will roll backwards. If not at first, somewhere in the yard before you go out the gate. This situation, maybe just a tad bit of inexperience got this driver in trouble. Previous posts about backing set up to free shoes from drum, all good advice. Last resort, beat the damn shoe with a hammer. One of the reasons I moved to AZ.
Or do what Seabreeze would do when his trailer brakes froze on those mountain passes in Florida - pick up the phone and call the shop! :hilarious: