Estes | Discrimination

ChiTownSP

TB Lurker
Credits
I've applied to Estes three different times, once getting an in person interview yet never receiving an offer. My interview at the Joliet terminal was odd. The guy interviewing me never asked about my experience only about pay and benefits from YRC. He went onto say how Estes probably could not match them without even asking my salary etc. Then he excused himself to speak with the lady who set up our interview. He came back about 5 minutes later telling me there was no longer any full time positions. My belief is because I've been a union member. Major bullshit! These companies can be missing out on good employees. Honestly the union has not done much for me except take take take.

The terminal that I'm out of has quite a few drivers that are former teamsters, myself included. And from what I understand when NEMF went under quite a few of them were hired in Joliet. We're just like all the other trucking companies and are looking for drivers. I don't know why they didn't hire you but I doubt it was because you were in the union.

You are not going to ever get a Employer to ever say sorry you dont get hired because you are a union man.

In other words... they said as much when they hemmed and hawed about the possibility of paying you too much money because you are union with their own words. If you can prove that and know the names of the interviewer etc, you might have something worth talking to a Lawyer about. A lawyer will most certainly tell you in a few minutes if you have a case or not.

Ive been involved in soft discrimination before. It wont be the first time. (Disability, not about Union or against.)

However I have never ever heard a interviewer have difficulty with money that will be paid to a potential hire. Its usually the interviewee who is told what he or she is going to be paid and how little. Take it or leave it.

Another track is if you are a Union Man and your "Union Hall" has that particular employer in it's force then one of the managers there can go start a fight with that company boss who declined to hire you based on your situation or pay etc. To keep it in the family so to speak. However not all employers recognize a Union at all. So there is no power there.

The terminal that I'm out of has quite a few drivers that are former teamsters, myself included. And from what I understand when NEMF went under quite a few of them were hired in Joliet. We're just like all the other trucking companies and are looking for drivers. I don't know why they didn't hire you but I doubt it was because you were in the union.
It was for a dock worker position.

Do you have workers comp claims it's public record anyone can look it up? I heard of companies looking it up if you have too many claims they won't hire you. It can be considered discrimination along with being a union member but I don't think EEOC or Labor dept. will do anything about it.

I worked for Estes from 93-2000. When I was being hired the TM told me during the interview “ we don’t like the Union here and we don’t want the Union here”. After I left I ran into my old Assistant TM who was working for R&L by then, and I forget how we got on the subject but he flat out told me that when he was there, they were told that anyone that had a union background got their application tossed right in the trash. That was at that terminal anyways. Don’t know if it happened company wide or not though….

I think the "don't hire former union guys" thing went out the window a long time ago, if it ever actually existed. At this point a driver is a driver and they need all they can get. As was stated, when NEMF went under Estes hired a bunch of those guys. I know many former union guys at Estes.

Sounds like a red flag somewhere!
We make more than most union guys and when drivers come from one of those outfits, I'm pretty sure whoever the employer is, knows you've had a belly full of the bs. Lots of formers work here at E

Sounds like a red flag somewhere!
We make more than most union guys and when drivers come from one of those outfits, I'm pretty sure whoever the employer is, knows you've had a belly full of the bs. Lots of formers work here at E
I'm not a driver. I applied as a dockworker. A former manager from Yellow who now works at Estes has told me on no uncertain terms could he help get me hired because of my union work. My application basically goes right in the trash. Old Dominion the same.

I'm not a driver. I applied as a dockworker. A former manager from Yellow who now works at Estes has told me on no uncertain terms could he help get me hired because of my union work. My application basically goes right in the trash. Old Dominion the same.
If the terminal gets your application that means it made it through recruiting at the home office. If being in the union was an actual disqualification your application would have never made it to the terminal.

That’s not to say that the local management just doesn’t want to hire you for that reason, but as a company there are a ton of former union members working here. My meet driver covering for my normal guy last week was former union and just got hired a couple of weeks ago.

You might have some luck applying and interviewing at the Chicago or Elgin or Markham terminal.

Probably know what a bunch of xxxx xxxxxx those Teamsters are and just want to hire someone willing to work?

We have a bunch of former NEMF guys.. The TM that interviewed me did explain the Estes stance on organized labor and I explained you’ll have no issues with me I’m just looking for a place to call home till I retire. Never heard another word about my days as teamster after that.

We have a bunch of former NEMF guys.. The TM that interviewed me did explain the Estes stance on organized labor and I explained you’ll have no issues with me I’m just looking for a place to call home till I retire. Never heard another word about my days as teamster after that.
NEMF was not associated with the Teamsters. They were with some other union.

I've applied to Estes three different times, once getting an in person interview yet never receiving an offer. My interview at the Joliet terminal was odd. The guy interviewing me never asked about my experience only about pay and benefits from YRC. He went onto say how Estes probably could not match them without even asking my salary etc. Then he excused himself to speak with the lady who set up our interview. He came back about 5 minutes later telling me there was no longer any full time positions. My belief is because I've been a union member. Major ********! These companies can be missing out on good employees. Honestly the union has not done much for me except take take take.
You could go to Central Transport. They will hire you, even if you don’t have a pulse.