FedEx Freight | Disgusted at Fedex and their bills per hour system.

orin654

TB Lurker
Credits
Part time Dockworker.

I am absolutely disgusted at how Fedex Freight, at least at my hub, treats their part-timers. The way it is setup is that we have 4 guys on the 4AM shift, 1 guy on the 5AM shift and the other 3 on call. The shift you get depends on the last weeks Bills per hour average. Fair right? Wrong. All trailers are not created equally. You give somebody a 53' fully decked with 8 bills and chances are you are not going to make 9.5 bills per hour cut. Even if you clear the trailer within an hour, you are not seen as a productive worker. Your trailer comes in a horrible condition, boxes all over the floor, freight not properly braced, freight with no pallets (we don't have a clamp at our hub), so what do you do? You grit your teeth, recoup freight, and do what you can. I don't need a thank you, or a good job, I'm getting paid for it and thats all that matters. But no... Fedex PUNISHES YOU and your chances to come next week because of something that was beyond control. You can work your absolute hardest to finish a badly stacked trailer, and all you get is a "nope, we probably wont be needing you next week" ABSOLUTE BULL

Here is an interesting scenario I had this week. So I was on the 5AM shift for last week. I hit 11.47 bills the first day and the next day I hit near 12.02, I'm thinking to myself, I'm gonna hit the 4AM schedule if I keep this up.

Wednesday Morning: I get a call from the dock supervisor even though I am not on call. Tells me bill count is low and to stay home since they have 2 new trainees in and if I came in there would be too many people. (Thats right they hired more people)

Thursday Morning: I get the same explanation. This is when I actually ask about what my numbers were for Monday and Tuesday and am reassured that everything is done on an average. So i am thinking fine whatever at least i'll be on the 4AM shift next week.

Friday: "Hey you can come in at 8AM if you want and stay for an hour" I say no. I KNOW if i go in for that last hour I am going to get some 3-5 bill pup and it will be shared with whoever is left there.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I AM NOT SUPPOSE TO EVEN BE ON CALL

So I come in Monday and I am second on the list. 4AM shift right? No, I am told by the dock supervisor that since I only came in for those 2 days I will not be put on the 4AM shift. THE VERY SAME PERSON WHO TOLD ME EVERYTHING WAS DONE ON AN AVERAGE AND TOLD ME NOT TO COME IN. Couple of thoughts were going through my head, all of them guaranteed to get me sent home or worse. I didn't say anyhting, I knew whatever i said would be spun into something else. i am currently still working with fedex but am actively searching for another job. I don't want to start dipping into my savings. The pay is good but I am not getting enough hours. Why can't they just let us work and just do annual production reviews about or work with sloppy trailers in mind. Instead they hire more people as to say: "If you don't make those numbers
these guys are gonna put you on call. And sooner or later, those very same guys will go through what I am going through.

If you are on the 4AM shift count yourself lucky, you get a nice Bills to Freight ratio most of the time. Do a good job and you will stay there.

I wanted to say more but I have ranted on enough and am pretty irritated and depressed about the whole situation......Stay Safe Guys

You have some crapy bosses. But I do have to say that there is only one way to get 11 & 12 bills per hour is to floor everything out and yes I would put you on call also. Either way they should be putting you guys on steady shifts. Maybe you should call Harrison.

Call that FEDEX ALERT HOTLINE and voice your situation......Alot of these Red shirts are so inferior of their positions at these terminals that they'll make up their own rules to press u to get their #'s right. If u are on the clock under their shift or employee # they'll hawk you if you're the weakest link on that dock. It all goes hand in hand on their review. It's been going on for yrs.........

What a GD joke. This friggen post infuriated me to no end. Why do those guys even put up with that crap? No 2 trailers are created equal.

From my understanding, and I'm not sure if this is still a rule by company law & senority or whatever. But if you're a driver(in which you will be categorized as "Full Time") but there's no driving work for u then u should be offered dock work. Now, if they say there's no dock work available for u....from back when they use to release a part-time dock hand b4 turning down work on a full time employee. Like I say I could be wrong....we all know rules change every 5mins at Fedex Freight....Company and Terminals rules....lol

Part time Dockworker.

I am absolutely disgusted at how Fedex Freight, at least at my hub, treats their part-timers. The way it is setup is that we have 4 guys on the 4AM shift, 1 guy on the 5AM shift and the other 3 on call. The shift you get depends on the last weeks Bills per hour average. Fair right? Wrong. All trailers are not created equally. You give somebody a 53' fully decked with 8 bills and chances are you are not going to make 9.5 bills per hour cut. Even if you clear the trailer within an hour, you are not seen as a productive worker. Your trailer comes in a horrible condition, boxes all over the floor, freight not properly braced, freight with no pallets (we don't have a clamp at our hub), so what do you do? You grit your teeth, recoup freight, and do what you can. I don't need a thank you, or a good job, I'm getting paid for it and thats all that matters. But no... Fedex PUNISHES YOU and your chances to come next week because of something that was beyond control. You can work your absolute hardest to finish a badly stacked trailer, and all you get is a "nope, we probably wont be needing you next week" ABSOLUTE BULL

Here is an interesting scenario I had this week. So I was on the 5AM shift for last week. I hit 11.47 bills the first day and the next day I hit near 12.02, I'm thinking to myself, I'm gonna hit the 4AM schedule if I keep this up.

Wednesday Morning: I get a call from the dock supervisor even though I am not on call. Tells me bill count is low and to stay home since they have 2 new trainees in and if I came in there would be too many people. (Thats right they hired more people)

Thursday Morning: I get the same explanation. This is when I actually ask about what my numbers were for Monday and Tuesday and am reassured that everything is done on an average. So i am thinking fine whatever at least i'll be on the 4AM shift next week.

Friday: "Hey you can come in at 8AM if you want and stay for an hour" I say no. I KNOW if i go in for that last hour I am going to get some 3-5 bill pup and it will be shared with whoever is left there.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I AM NOT SUPPOSE TO EVEN BE ON CALL

So I come in Monday and I am second on the list. 4AM shift right? No, I am told by the dock supervisor that since I only came in for those 2 days I will not be put on the 4AM shift. THE VERY SAME PERSON WHO TOLD ME EVERYTHING WAS DONE ON AN AVERAGE AND TOLD ME NOT TO COME IN. Couple of thoughts were going through my head, all of them guaranteed to get me sent home or worse. I didn't say anyhting, I knew whatever i said would be spun into something else. i am currently still working with fedex but am actively searching for another job. I don't want to start dipping into my savings. The pay is good but I am not getting enough hours. Why can't they just let us work and just do annual production reviews about or work with sloppy trailers in mind. Instead they hire more people as to say: "If you don't make those numbers
these guys are gonna put you on call. And sooner or later, those very same guys will go through what I am going through.

If you are on the 4AM shift count yourself lucky, you get a nice Bills to Freight ratio most of the time. Do a good job and you will stay there.

I wanted to say more but I have ranted on enough and am pretty irritated and depressed about the whole situation......Stay Safe Guys

I fixed this problem by becoming a city driver. So now when I work the dock I don't have bph limits. I just have to look busy.

At CGT you are welcome to ride around on your lift and take phone calls and texts all day long. There is NO BILL PER HOUR QUOTA for anyone. CGT Is the LARGEST HUB in THE SYSTEM. The Road Drivers will hit the Production #'s for you LAZY PUKES. What a Disgrace Chicago Heights, Illinois is to ALL WORKING MEN.

Unfortunately, this company is nothing but a numbers company. Its sad to see some of the "reefer" PT's that arrive at Portland Or. (POR), no decking/strapping/ropes and freight crushed, ripped open and dumped over where we can't even open the swing doors. When you get stuck with one of these, we say screw the BPH--hell none of the Full time dock workers, oops I mean drivers even care about BPH. WE tell the weak supervisors just kick me off the dock if we don't meet the so called standard0Will never happen). We even have drivers with manditory dock work bids sleeping in their trucks and say screw the dock while others pick up the the workload. This whole system is a fricken joke but as long as the numbers look good on paper, who cares about the freight and the massive damage we now have everyware!! Customers? we don't need no stinking customers!! maybe Fred will get tired of paying claims and we can go back to drivers and dock workers like we were before Mike Moss and the Con-Way wizz kids screw'd the pooch over here!! PS: Guys at Old Dominion said thanks for the increase in business--aparently we are their best customer since ours are leaving for them.

DSM is #1 in their region and quickly climbing to be national damage champions. More poorly trained kids starting next week.

How the heck do you get 12 bph?!! I'm lucky to get six. If we would all slow down, say to 7 or 8, maybe then they would expect that... I will never do 12 bph. Are you at top scale, or do you do everything compliant, both on the dock and the city/road? They HATE that, this is why they keep hiring off the street, heaven forbid they hire experienced workers- they might tell them how to do THEIR job...

This company is sooooooo F....d up!!!! FXF has to be the laughing stock of the LTL carriers, right after CON-WAY!! At least they are trying to fix their mistakes!! SOMEWHAT!

It would be much better if the economy was solid...oops, I can't say that, because someone will accuse me of being ⓇⒶⒸⒾⓈⓉ.

ST

Yea, don't think theres much chance for the economy to rebound with either boob in the white house. 4 more years of stagnation I'm afraid

Whats up with those diamonds with question marks???

Yea, don't think theres much chance for the economy to rebound with either boob in the white house. 4 more years of stagnation I'm afraid

Whats up with those diamonds with question marks???

I'd rather have the boob who's pro-america and pro-business than the one who claims someone else is responsible for my success....