Yellow | Do A Proper Pre-Trip

Kennesaw Kid

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
Do a proper pre-trip....this happened at OKC the other day....good thing it happened on the yard and not at 62 MPH....It just went through a yearly inspection this past June,......be careful out There!.....KK
9OlaEzQ.jpg

1MuY0gU.jpg

0NWxVU7.jpg

1sRl0ZY.jpg

Do a proper pre-trip....this happened at OKC the other day....good thing it happened on the yard and not at 62 MPH....It just went through a yearly inspection this past June,......be careful out There!.....KK
9OlaEzQ.jpg

1MuY0gU.jpg

0NWxVU7.jpg

1sRl0ZY.jpg

Wow, that's spooky for sure. But how in the heck would you be able to detect something like that in a pre-trip inspection? The underneath of the trailer in the area of the king pin would be hidden from view when it's hooked. That's scary.

Wow, that's spooky for sure. But how in the heck would you be able to detect something like that in a pre-trip inspection? The underneath of the trailer in the area of the king pin would be hidden from view when it's hooked. That's scary.
Wonder how old the trailer is??? Too many years of moisture and road salt exposure maybe??

I had a truck they had to put out of service last year due to the frame being rusted all the way through. All of this equipment could have a catastrophic failure at any time. The equipment is getting like the drivers, old and crusty.

It would be quite a shock if that happened while backing under it.

Where's G67 at? That should have been caught in June.
How much is involved in a P.M.? What I mean to ask is would something like this have been caught in a P.M.? In fact other than using some kind of electronic device to test stress cracks how could it be detected? I'm just a steering wheel holder but how in the hell can you check under the plate?
You would have to steam the plate clean of grease, Visually look at the whole plate for any type of crack, And still not be able to do a 100% complete inspection as there are cracks small enough you can't see with the nacked eye.
This is scary as hell! How could you protect yourself if something happened on the Highway? What could you say to the police or the D.O.T.?
Gee Officer, I did a Pre-trip and I did'nt see anything wrong?
This is not good!

How much is involved in a P.M.? What I mean to ask is would something like this have been caught in a P.M.? In fact other than using some kind of electronic device to test stress cracks how could it be detected? I'm just a steering wheel holder but how in the hell can you check under the plate?
You would have to steam the plate clean of grease, Visually look at the whole plate for any type of crack, And still not be able to do a 100% complete inspection as there are cracks small enough you can't see with the nacked eye.
This is scary as hell! How could you protect yourself if something happened on the Highway? What could you say to the police or the D.O.T.?
This is not good!

Not that it's any consolation, but if this happened on the road the trailer kingpin would still be locked in the fifth wheel. That would be evidence of a mechanical failure and not something a driver could have reasonably prevented. Still something to be apprehensive about in any event.

Not that it's any consolation, but if this happened on the road the trailer kingpin would still be locked in the fifth wheel. That would be evidence of a mechanical failure and not something a driver could have reasonably prevented. Still something to be apprehensive about in any event.
I guess this means from now on I tug the liv'in hell out of every Kingpin/5th wheel connection I have. Have you ever seen a kingpin plate with any kind of bend or warp in it around the kingpin itself?

This is not good!

It can't be checked if the unit is PM'd in the safety lane hooked, the PM sheet does say to check the pin with the go-no-go gauge and to look for cracks but in order to see them it'll need to a pretty big crack..........................also pulling the hell out of them to check if they are hooked most likely will lead to premature failures like this, they get enough abuse in normal use, they don't need any extra help..................:frog:

[QUOToldWrench97, post: 956499, member: 372"]It can't be checked if the unit is PM'd in the safety lane hooked, the PM sheet does say to check the pin with the go-no-go gauge and to look for cracks but in order to see them it'll need to a pretty big crack..........................also pulling the hell out of them to check if they are hooked most likely will lead to premature failures like this, they get enough abuse in normal use, they don't need any extra help..................:frog:[/QUOTE]

How old are the 11 series trailers Wrench.

9OlaEzQ.jpg

1MuY0gU.jpg

0NWxVU7.jpg

1sRl0ZY.jpg
Was that driver fired by any chance? Sure wouldn't surprise me..

It can't be checked if the unit is PM'd in the safety lane hooked, the PM sheet does say to check the pin with the go-no-go gauge and to look for cracks but in order to see them it'll need to a pretty big crack..........................also pulling the hell out of them to check if they are hooked most likely will lead to premature failures like this, they get enough abuse in normal use, they don't need any extra help..................:frog:
How else would or could you check?

And the gauge only checks the king pin itself. From the photos this looks to be massive corrosion from the inside/upper side of the king pin plate, something difficult to check under normal conditions since that area is hidden. This is why I only drive new tractors and pull new trailers. :smile new:

And the gauge only checks the king pin itself. From the photos this looks to be massive corrosion from the inside/upper side of the king pin plate, something difficult to check under normal conditions since that area is hidden. This is why I only drive new tractors and pull new trailers. :smile new:

You would need to see the history of the trailer, for example was it ever in a major wreck and repaired, has the pin ever been replaced and was it properly done etc.