Yellow | dock ettiquette for utility drivers

forklift lights

i am a ue (yellow). 23 years. i know the dock and can tell you lights are a problem with regular dock hands(mostly young ones) when i came up as you did it was second nature to turn lights off. they really bother me. but to the point--please write to all hands. send one to yellow. i don't post often but do read. worked city driver--dock hand--hostler.

Thanks for the post citytech.........do you guys think a actual printed paper will help or do you think word of mouth would be better? DS.

I think we all need to take a deep breath and think about what we are doing. I dont want to give any location or names but I had a very wild ride off the dock last night. I am a UE and was loading next to last skid on trl, my fork lift was half on trl and half on dock when the tlr started pulling out. I rode fork lift to ground and thanks be to God I was not injured. I am new to dock work and have alot to learn but safety for ourselves and others should be our primary goal. The ettiquette is good also and needs to be practiced. The headlite deal I srarted figuring out on my own because I hate bright lights in my mirror on highway, but no one has ever given me any training at all about unloading or loading frt. or dock ettiquette. I for one am not offended at all by someone giving me some FRIENDLY advice on how things work on the dock. Sorry to be so long winded. Just wanted share this to give us all a reminder to double check ourselves on certian tasks, such as pulling a trl away from dock.:1036316054: (Could have been seriously injured or killed)

sure glad you are aok .we dont need any1 hurt ,thats 4 sure.
the reason i started this tread was for just what you said. to share info that the company doesnt teach , just common practice on the dock and we wouldnt expect any1 to just know this stuff

I think we all need to take a deep breath and think about what we are doing. I dont want to give any location or names but I had a very wild ride off the dock last night. I am a UE and was loading next to last skid on trl, my fork lift was half on trl and half on dock when the tlr started pulling out. I rode fork lift to ground and thanks be to God I was not injured. I am new to dock work and have alot to learn but safety for ourselves and others should be our primary goal. The ettiquette is good also and needs to be practiced. The headlite deal I srarted figuring out on my own because I hate bright lights in my mirror on highway, but no one has ever given me any training at all about unloading or loading frt. or dock ettiquette. I for one am not offended at all by someone giving me some FRIENDLY advice on how things work on the dock. Sorry to be so long winded. Just wanted share this to give us all a reminder to double check ourselves on certian tasks, such as pulling a trl away from dock.:1036316054: (Could have been seriously injured or killed)
nite rider, sorry to hear of your mishap......THANK GOD you weren't hurt, I've seen it happen before, and it's a scary thing.......listen, if you ever have a question about something, don't ever hesitate to ask someone for help......most guys will be glad to help.....the g-man:red_bandana:

I'm glad you are OK, brother. I have seen a couple of forklifts take the quick trip to the yard, there's nothing funny about it. DS.