Yellow | Dock Signaling Devices

Hey Familyman.....Thanks for the info. I went the the DOL OSHA sight. I saw the part where USPS has to use chock blocks, but there was also a part that said after 1998, they weren't required by OSHA!! I also read where there was a change to the rules. On June 18, 1998 the Office of Motor Carrier Safety, Federal Highway Administration, rescinded Section 392.20 effective July 20, 1998. I gotta call the local office to get some better info on this, an if I can get an answer to why??? With all of the close calls at RDWY and other companys.........we need to know why!! DS.

D.S.,

I remember when I was with Preston, we always had to chock the trailers at the dock. Then as you mentioned around 98, we were told that due to technology of the trailers ( better brake systems), that we no longer needed to chock trailers. Before I got hurt last year, at REX 187 we had to chock all trailers. We even had a dock supe do chock checks on every shift. Haven't gotten back to work yet so I don't know if anything changed or not.

Again, i'm new to the Union, and i'm not sure how the "flags and chains and stuff work". I work out of a small terminal. Any way we pretty much always just check the tlr before doing much of anything with it.

However, I do know that there were some maintinance problems recently at our terminal, that were being overlooked and our steward filed a grevience. They have been resolved! That's what it sound's like to me, they just don't want to spend the money to make your dock functional or safe. Put those holes "out of service" until the safety issues are resolved.

I guess the heart of the matter is that RDWY does not want the switcher to go to the rear of the unit, to save time. If there is a bad accident.......they are not going to take any part of responsibility. Like lots of you said......it's a lot safer to go back and check. Just wondering what group got that OSHA reg changed back in '98?? Maybe there needs to be a new reg stating that a jocky will check the dockplate and door before pulling out. It's worth it...........DS.

nightshadow said:
Here's a wild guess: our friends at the ATA
If I were a betting man.....I would have to go with that one!! In doing a little research I found this kind of interesting. Notice how the regulation of OSHA requireing chock blocks has been marked out. I liked the last part of the letter.........We encourage you and employees involved in trailer-to-dock accidents to report any related hazardous conditions to the nearest OSHA area office for investigation. OSHA will continue to enforce regulations applicable to loading dock operations. I would suggest to anyone having a trailer to dock accident to notify your local division of OSHA. I feel that this is the only way anything is going to change this dangerous practice. DS.

From reading all of OSHA mumble jumble, seems they are saying if a different system is in place such as mirrors, dock locks, flags, lights etc then chocks are not required.

At FXF the dock guys are supposed to check for chocks before entering a trailer, and we are to check the chock and door before pulling it from the dock.

FM

Docksteward said:
I guess the heart of the matter is that RDWY does not want the switcher to go to the rear of the unit, to save time. If there is a bad accident.......they are not going to take any part of responsibility. Like lots of you said......it's a lot safer to go back and check. Just wondering what group got that OSHA reg changed back in '98?? Maybe there needs to be a new reg stating that a jocky will check the dockplate and door before pulling out. It's worth it...........DS.
I work the dock an yard up on the hill @ ABF Docksteward. We are suppose to check every trailer an make sure every board is pulled before pulling the unit out. I check every one before pulling out. You can tear up equipment take it to the shop an get it fixed but a life can't be replaced. Just my 2 cents!!!!!!Freakzilla

Freakzilla said:
I work the dock an yard up on the hill @ ABF Docksteward. We are suppose to check every trailer an make sure every board is pulled before pulling the unit out. I check every one before pulling out. You can tear up equipment take it to the shop an get it fixed but a life can't be replaced. Just my 2 cents!!!!!!Freakzilla
Hey Freakzilla.........that's the way we done it for years. RDWY started using the flags last year. No one has been hurt..yet. We have had more than our share of close calls, all because we are told not to go to the back of the trailer. "The flag is up, the trailer is ready to move" according to management. Yea.....in your perfect world. DS.

Time for a change.........

I dug this thread out of the archives. We have had several more "close calls" in the past few months. The last one, a dock worker was stripping a load and was standing on the dock plate and the trailer got pulled out!!:chairshot: He fell against the dock plate on his back and into the yard. It left a hellva bruise across his back, about 8 inches across. TM even made the statement that "someone could have been killed". I filed another grievance on the accident and asked for the suspension of using the flags.:chairshot: The company sticks by the excuse of "It's a Yellow thing". I'm pushing for it to go to the Health and Safety panel to get this damn screw up of a policy changed for everyone's sake. DS.

It just happened a few days ago at 135. A trailer pulled out and the dock worker went off the dock on the forklift. As far as I know he is ok.

What about getting "ALL" dockworkers and I mean "ALL" at the beginning of there shift to work like usual and when it is time to enter a trailer they all stop and set there. You don't have to do anything that is not safe. And if I were a dock worked I would be scared to death to enter a trailer in this situation. Result.... All 100 workers might be fired. (which would be great) then all 100 workers on Jack's C. door step no matter what time it is. Jack would get over there and I can bet you this system would be gone..... But it would take "ALL" dock workers. None can bale out.
In UNITY THERE IS STRENGTH
I dug this thread out of the archives. We have had several more "close calls" in the past few months. The last one, a dock worker was stripping a load and was standing on the dock plate and the trailer got pulled out!!:chairshot: He fell against the dock plate on his back and into the yard. It left a hellva bruise across his back, about 8 inches across. TM even made the statement that "someone could have been killed". I filed another grievance on the accident and asked for the suspension of using the flags.:chairshot: The company sticks by the excuse of "It's a Yellow thing". I'm pushing for it to go to the Health and Safety panel to get this damn screw up of a policy changed for everyone's sake. DS.

Heck even with chocks, at FXF IND last week a driver pulled a trlr away from the dock that was still open, no one was loading on it at the time but he didn't do his job and make sure it was closed before pulling it.

FM

It just happened a few days ago at 135. A trailer pulled out and the dock worker went off the dock on the forklift. As far as I know he is ok.
Hey HBG135.........Do you guys use the same system and if you are, are there any complaints being filed with RDWY or are they doing anything to "fix" the problem? DS.

We use a flag to signal the trailer is closed. I don't know if any complaints have or will be filed. Nothing is being done to fix it. They just tell us in preshift to make sure the computer is open before going into a trailer.

Let one dockworker get killed because of this company policy. And get all the lawyers involved. They can get millions now how they work....

Let one dockworker get killed because of this company policy. And get all the lawyers involved. They can get millions now how they work....
I know what you'er say.. But would'nt that be a travisty to loose a life over something so simple to fix.. The old way is the best way....

I know what you'er say.. But would'nt that be a travisty to loose a life over something so simple to fix.. The old way is the best way....
Hey ROUNDMAN.........I agree, easy. The whole point of the flags is to drive production, more, more, more. I think most yard jockeys/switchers would agree that safety is more important that moves per hour!! DS.