Yellow | Dock Signaling Devices

I know this is a little off the topic, but here at 181, the new TM, who just happened to come from 107, has stated that trailers at the dock do not need to be chocked!:duh: Seems he heard that some bigger terminal stopped doing it because it took too much time for the switcher to get out of the horse and walk back 28 or 53 feet to put a chock in place.:duh: Imagine how many more yard moves you can make, if you don`t have to do that! More yard production! ( His words) . Can you believe that?

remo williams said:
I know this is a little off the topic, but here at 181, the new TM, who just happened to come from 107, has stated that trailers at the dock do not need to be chocked!:duh: Seems he heard that some bigger terminal stopped doing it because it took too much time for the switcher to get out of the horse and walk back 28 or 53 feet to put a chock in place.:duh: Imagine how many more yard moves you can make, if you don`t have to do that! More yard production! ( His words) . Can you believe that?
Company policy has always been too chock the trailer when it up against ANY DOCK!
What makes this guy so special?

Wheel chocks not only require someone to go to back of trl and give them the oppritunity to check, it keeps the trl from moving in case brakes fail or trl move's from heavy action from forklift. I thought this was an OSHA requirement?? Ask any Safety supervisor whos responsabilty it is to check the trl before pulling from dock....the driver.

remo williams said:
Not that it's right, but sure I belive it. Freight is all about and only about numbers, not safety. Safety only comes up when they can try to use it against somebody.

had a close one two days ago some one off the the other dock makes a move on the outbound dock and boom trailer goes out of a working door jeep crashes to the ground dockman jumps off just in time. dockman ok

Thery're NOT chocking them in Akron, saw it with my own eyes. Not sure about Buffalo, never drove past the dock area. We always chocked at our satellites. :duh:

Hey remo!You must be talking about that punk Jason!If you don't chock your wheels you may get a letter for it.Now you know why he ain't here any more making a statement like that!

It's A Shame

It's A Shame That A Lot Of Old Farts Like Myself Have Worked These Trucking Companies ( Union And Non-union) All These Years Hoping That Some Day The Company Would Become Something.then The New Breed Comes In And Starts Working On The Bottom Line.reengineering Everything ,more Pounds Per Hour,heavier Loads,log Book Adjustments.they Don't Want To Allow Enough Time To Check And Load Freight Properly,pretrip A Truck,or For The Switcher To Walk Around To The End Of The Trailer And Look.safety Goes Out The Window.people Get Hurt,people Get Killed.they Quit And Go Somewere Else. The Companies Start Losing Thier Core Employees.they Age Out Or Just Move Out.that Leaves Them With A Young ,inexperienced Work Force.but Boy,they Sure Are Fast.

TheBigR said:
Thery're NOT chocking them in Akron, saw it with my own eyes. Not sure about Buffalo, never drove past the dock area. We always chocked at our satellites. :duh:
Switchers at 671 are told NOT to chock the trailers. Back to the door, and haul azz to your next switch, back in, hook the air line and haul azz to your next switch..........now come on:duh: Is there any wonder why these "close calls" are all around us. Now what we need is a solution?!? Does anyone know if this violates any OSHA reg? DS.

Moparman said:
Hey remo!You must be talking about that punk Jason!If you don't chock your wheels you may get a letter for it.Now you know why he ain't here any more making a statement like that!
Hey Moparman,You hit the nail on the head.We had 10 drivers sit in on a meeting when that was brought up.Everyone just looked around in disbelief when he said that.:chairshot: When we tried to explain that we always do it , he said it didn`t need to be done,he never saw a truck roll from the dock, bla, bla, bla. Long story short, we still chock here.:bgroovy:

TheBigR said:

They got rid of the chock blocks in Akron right after Yellow bought us.

They don't chock at 120. Had a couple of trailers pulled out early, but nobody went off the dock. We still have the DCT at the doors and nobody is to move a trailer that is still opened.

stacker said:
They don't chock at 120. Had a couple of trailers pulled out early, but nobody went off the dock. We still have the DCT at the doors and nobody is to move a trailer that is still opened.
The last problem we had a couple of weeks ago happend like this. The stack trailer was closed in the computer. More freight came down before it was pulled from the dock and the super told the dock worker to reopen the trailer in the computer and load the freight. The switcher had the move on the screen and when it was reopened with the DCT, it didn't update on the switchers computer. He was pulled out into the yard!!:duh: As long as we are using this system these "early outs" are going to continue to happen. With the process being questioned with greivences and the union asking that the practice be suspended until a better, safer way of siginaling the switchers is found.....RDWY should be held accountable for anyone being hurt, because they were notified that this is a defective design. DS.

"chock Blocks Rock"

Been to panel twice for guys who had pulled trailers away from dock b/4 they were cleared. One guy was going to lunch when the supervisor urged him to make one last quick move and wound up writing the wrong trl# down. Dockman lift blades were still on the trailer and the counterweight of the lift was leaning against the dock door. Talk about an exlax moment.

Second incident was a railbox with swing doors as they were trying to rework some freight to get the famous "JOM" (just one more) almost cost a dockman to cancell christmas.
Both guys got their jobs back but a simple chock block of the trailer could have save all this wasted time out on injuries and out of work.

CHOCKS SERVE THE PURPOSE: and if you go to any of our customers loading docks they WILL NOT load or unload you unless your your trailer is chocked.
"HELLO SOMEBODY":nono: :nono:

Now is it a double standard if a driver has a roll away and loses his job cause he didn't chock his unit????? Hello are we talking a double standard cause I got a driver who lost his job for the very same incident.:wtflol: :stirthepot:

Rude and crude intrudes again

Don't let it get to wear judgements have to be made,911 called,or lawyers hired.To quote a famous American.....NIP IT IN THE BUD.....

Safety #1????

Why is it that they preach safety all the time but can't grasp the concept of the switchers taking one minute to walk the length of a trailer to check that the plate is up and kick a wheel chock. At our terminaL(222) wheel chocks are mandatory for all units at the dock, along with portable stands just behind the king pin on 36' and shorter trailers to prevent nose downs. You just can't trust a computer or even a superviser when it comes to employee safety, get out and check it out yourself!!!

Hoojs12840 said:
Wheel chocks not only require someone to go to back of trl and give them the oppritunity to check, it keeps the trl from moving in case brakes fail or trl move's from heavy action from forklift. I thought this was an OSHA requirement?? Ask any Safety supervisor whos responsabilty it is to check the trl before pulling from dock....the driver.

Background: 29 CFR 1910.178(k)(1), requires that "[t]he brakes of highway trucks shall be set and wheel chocks placed under the rear wheels to prevent the trucks from rolling while they are boarded with powered industrial trucks."

29 CFR 1910.178(m)(7), requires in part that "rakes shall be set and wheel blocks shall be in place to prevent movement of trucks, trailers, or railroad cars while loading or unloading when the trailer is not coupled to a tractor."

However, in light of the changes in technology since the promulgation of 29 CFR 1910.178(k)(1) and (m)(7), OSHA as a matter of policy will regard failure to use wheel chocks or blocks as a de minimis violation and no citation will be issued if alternative methods of preventing truck movement are used. These alternatives may include the use of dock lock mechanisms, dock monitoring systems, or other systems which will prevent the unintentional movement of trucks and trailers while being boarded with powered industrial trucks.
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25143
Seems to be kinda conflicting from OSHA

FM

Regardless of what the switcher is told, it is a matter of safety. Just get out, check the trailer, and be on your way. If a supe says anything, your standard answer should be, "just checking for safety's sake"! End of discussion!

I know that being a road driver , most of this is foriegn to me. I also know that even if I watch someone hook something for me , I still go over it as if there are defects that I need to find. For safety's sake. when I leave I'm the captian of that ship. If it could have been spotted and I failed, it could mean someone gets hurt. There is always a better way , but the companies don't always want to hear that. That better way might cost a few more $$$ a day. That might mean someone might lose a day at the golf course. Also , to all road drivers, take the time to get under that trailer, (watch your head ) with a flashlight,(even if it's daylight) and actually look at the jaw of the 5th wheel and make sure it is around the kingpin, AND the "catch latch " is closed behind the jaw. The 5th wheels of the jif's are dropping trailers. rear trailers and long boxes, (jiffed up). I know of 5 or 6 times this has happened it the last four to five months in Ga. alone. No telling how many times that a driver hooked back up and went on without mentioning it for fear of getting in trouble.