Yellow | Dock Tour

Chicago Roadway

TB Veteran
Credits
We just had a Dock tour from the load factor
goblin(vice pres of line haul) This tour went far south they have not had dunnage or plywood or even blocks of wood and very very little air bags.. well this guy starts his tour and stops at a trailer and starts tearing it apart what an embarressment to everyone
no supplies but one angry vp.. we never have a good supply of anything.. I mean we do not have anything even a PENCIL is hard to find amazing they cut there cost then want more and more and more but give us less and less to work with...

This is the guy who wants pictures of all closed trailers and reports on why they are light
RUmor was his flight was late because the plane wasn't full.....(dock Humor)

I have heard that 671 is getting some "visitors" this week, maybe the same guy. I used to stack on the OB side. I can say that most of the trailers that are loaded out are stacked as good as possible. There are times when we don't have deck bars........but there also was a time when we didn't use them at all, remember??? We all know, though..........if you look for anything wrong with a trailer 9 out of 10 times you can find something.:27: The big push is for load factor. That hasn't changed over the years, but I have a problem with reworking a stacked trailer to get an extra shipment on it. My favorite is bringing up a through load with big weight on it and loading one shipment and we get the load factor for that whole trailer, like we loaded it!! But those are the games that are played, all for load factor. DS.

To me, load factor is a game. Don't get me wrong I understand the concept.........the more weight = more revenue. When you are dealing with a dock running wide open though, you load what comes to you the best you can. You don't always have the luxury of waiting for the heavy low riding stuff to put under your light stuff. With both IB and OB on the same dock now, we don't have the room to warehouse freight until the "best case scenario" shows up. Everytime we have a load factor focus we time and time again run into the problem of 2 heavy pups that you can't run together because the gross weight is too much!! :poster_oops: Here's the way I look at it.........load the freight so it won't get damaged going down the road. Don't break down skids and don't slam so much on it that it takes the next terminal half a day to strip the damn thing!!!:whistling: Just my 2 cents. DS.

We got our "tour" today. The supervisor to worker ratio really went up!! Let me see if I can think here..........we had the District (or what ever they are called now) Manager, Terminal Manager, 2 ATM's, 2 linehaul service managers, 2 OB supervisors and a density guy, with an extra guy who was said to be from AGO...........walking around. They walked down the stack side looking at loads. I didn't hear any complaints, but I didn't listen for any, either. I guess we'll hear about it later. DS.

send deck bars to hagerstown. we have obtained 7-20 million dollars in business, all small odd shaped skids,tubs, etc.
our local mamgement have exhausted their contacts in obtaining an adequate supply of deck bars, required if we are to retain this work.
upper management has made promises, but promises are a poor substitute for deck bars.
this freight actually makes money, help us make a profit so we can all reap the benefits
next contract.
thanks

fatboy said:
send deck bars to hagerstown. we have obtained 7-20 million dollars in business, all small odd shaped skids,tubs, etc.
our local mamgement have exhausted their contacts in obtaining an adequate supply of deck bars, required if we are to retain this work.
upper management has made promises, but promises are a poor substitute for deck bars.
this freight actually makes money, help us make a profit so we can all reap the benefits
next contract.
thanks
Hey fb...........I'd like to help you out on the deck bar thing, but 671 is in the same boat as you guys are. What I have seen work the best is have the TM send an email to the satellite managers telling them to send all deck bars back to the BB. It worked in the past. Speaking of deck bars. I have heard through the driver vine that 222 has hundreds of them. I would like for any of the upper management that gets on the board to check this out for me. DS.

Yeah we do have hundeds of them, but they disappear pretty quickly on loads or donating them to the satellites close by. I don't see the loads going to you very often, because they are sealed when I hook. I took a set for you into 231 this week. I hope they are using the bars because load securement and claim prevention is a hot topic all the time up here. If we do send bars across the border they always go to 231 or 251. I'll talk to dockman that loads trailers to you and see if he can put some on the tail if they have a bunch there.

President Of Roadway Was Coming To Elk Grove 305 They Fixed The Place Up With Fresh Paint And Fixed Everything In Sight And Then He Cancalled. You Ask Them To Fix Anything And They Wait A Month.

At 120, they painted the dock shacks and fixed the potholes in the dock and are making other improvements. We can't figure out why he's coming to visit us, as we don't seem to be a major player in this new system since the last change of ops.

At 120, they painted the dock shacks and fixed the potholes in the dock and are making other improvements. We can't figure out why he's coming to visit us, as we don't seem to be a major player in this new system since the last change of ops.

How many road and P&D driver are you guy's down to ? They are hiring again in 120 I have heard.

There's about 200 road, 23P&D, 12 city switchers, 22 dock switchers,27 switchers, 84 dock bids and 28 on call. They just laidoff 8 dock last week and asked if anybody wanted to take a vacation in Dec. They were hiring drivers about two months ago.

There are times when we don't have deck bars........but there also was a time when we didn't use them at all, remember??? We all know, though..........if you look for anything wrong with a trailer 9 out of 10 times you can find something.:27: DS.

You know DS do we have deck bars they are all over the place here, but the load factor thing cost us a big account out of RI. Good paying heavy density freight we took from OD.... like that Hermes sandpaper that we used to haul but wasn't discounted to hell.

Problem was we would get some good hits and by the time it got to us it was double stack which it wasn't supposed to be just so they could get 2-3 more plts on. Bad thing about it the discount was from 1994 so you know it was paying good. No dunnage, no deck bars, just crushed plts with the raw material contaminated.

Yeah I'm complaining cause I had to deliver it
as I look at the customer like 'what can I say" it was damaged cause of the load factor":shifty:

Roadway will always remain "Penny wise, & dollar foolish".
Constantly tripping over dollars to save pennies.:duh: :duh:

You know DS do we have deck bars they are all over the place here, but the load factor thing cost us a big account out of RI. Good paying heavy density freight we took from OD.... like that Hermes sandpaper that we used to haul but wasn't discounted to hell.

Problem was we would get some good hits and by the time it got to us it was double stack which it wasn't supposed to be just so they could get 2-3 more plts on. Bad thing about it the discount was from 1994 so you know it was paying good. No dunnage, no deck bars, just crushed plts with the raw material contaminated.

Yeah I'm complaining cause I had to deliver it
as I look at the customer like 'what can I say" it was damaged cause of the load factor":shifty:
Hey Lou......sorry to hear about that, with a account like that RDWY may not have to lay off as many, well maybe they will!! Seems all the supervisors are worried about now is LF and CPH. I had one come crying to me last night about scanning some freight and that making $22 per hour we should be doing more. Well I couldn't help myself, I informed him that I loaded freight THEN scanned bills. He'll learn, he's a nubie from the COO. DS.

Since we got this new TM a year ago he has been trying to make the dock slick with no freight. Hasn't happen yet even with him out there trying to make it happen.

Heck he was told to lay off some guys and they wind up breaking lay off that week. DS how are those loads of motorcycles and snow blowers from 657 doin ...load factor wise:smilie_132:

Since we got this new TM a year ago he has been trying to make the dock slick with no freight. Hasn't happen yet even with him out there trying to make it happen.

Heck he was told to lay off some guys and they wind up breaking lay off that week. DS how are those loads of motorcycles and snow blowers from 657 doin ...load factor wise