Reddaway | Dock Worker?

Alexx

TB Lurker
Credits
So I know this is mostly populated by Reddaway drivers and not so much the dock workers but I was wondering if you could be so kind as to answer a few questions about being a dock worker for Reddaway.

I work at UPS where I have worked for 4 years now part time. Basically they work us like dogs and pay us very low but after 4 years I have finally managed to make somewhat decent money for a part time job. The bid list for full time driver is 10 miles long at ups so I need another job.

I have been offered a job at Reddaway as a dock worker. I am wondering am I walking into the same kind of thing?
At UPS management is at the mercy of the employees which is good in some ways but bad in most. Is the same kind of thing going on at Reddaway?

Are there benefits for full time warehouse workers?
What kind of hours do you guys work?
Will I be able to work around my current job at UPS so I dont have to quit?
What kind of money do you guys make?

I am used to working hard and long hours for low pay so I wont be turned away simply because of that. I worked for California Overnight for 5 years before UPS so I am versed in warehouse work froma long history.

Can you please fill me in on the hours of operation though?

I also should add that I have not recieved the job. A friend of a friend of mine is the one who offered it to me. I am going in for the interview tomorrow which is why I couldnt find out this information for myself just yet.

Where or where have you been hired at? I recently started at Reddaway too. I worked with Estes and Matheson before this. I believe part time is $10.80/hr and full time is $14.80/hr. I heard the benefits are decent but haven't looked into it. Management will vary I guess, just depends how the terminal is run at where your at. Theres plenty of overtime at our terminal right now.

I was hired part time, three days later I was full time, and in my second week I was in charge of half the dock. So I guess there's room to advance if you know your stuff.

And just so you know, UPS will not let you work for one of there competitors at the same time. I had this problem when Matheson Fast Freight found out I worked for Estes. Don't let them find out or you'll probably loose your job.

Dock jobs are only good at Reddaway's Union yards. In the Non Union yards you will be used and thrown aside. You will never get benefits at a Non Union Reddaway yard. In a Reddaway Union yard, you get medical if you work 100 hours a month.

[quote author=illnevertell link=topic=79002.msg822851#msg822851 date=1271651599]
And just so you know, UPS will not let you work for one of there competitors at the same time. I had this problem when Matheson Fast Freight found out I worked for Estes. Don't let them find out or you'll probably loose your job.
[/quote]

They know I work at Reddaway already and they have no problem with In fact a lot of the guys work for fedex as well as ups and ups doesnt mind that either. The union protects us from everything so they couldnt fire me if they wanted to.
I wasnt even aware that Reddaway was a competitor of ups anyway. They handle different types of frieght. Reddaway ships the stuff that ups wouldnt touch, things that require forklifts. UPS handles single package deliveries in bulk, something reddaway isnt capable of taking on. From what I know of the two companies so far they seem to work in harmony with each other as niether is competing for the same work. In fact some things they both ship, amazon for example has pallets come through reddaway to their main warehouse which are then sent to ups to deliver to the customers homes. Interesting because I handle the packages at one job and go to the next and handle the same packages again....lol
Anyway I been on the job for 3 weeks now and so far I am loving it. Good hours, flexible schedule, very cool coworkers and management. I am at a non union barn so no benifits but thats why I work at ups we got the best health insurance in the country. Overall great job, and I get overtime every day.