Yellow | Dollar Bill says we are o.k.

"Here's an example. The dock needs guys to come in at 20:00. RDWY will call our Unassigned men first. Then call the laid off men (dock qualified) in seniority order. If they don't get the number of men they need then they can call in casuals."
what they do is bring the layed off guys [call them all for friday night ], then set up the casuals an hour or so b4 these layed off guys are able to get back with their 8 hours off then not need to call any1 else that day

Don't forget about the 4hour casuals !!! here in cld we can use them and not offer the work to a laid off man. Thay do it all the time.

i would check deeper into that . your master freight agreement says they must call all layed off b4 using casuals . i would file !!!

Hey larry..........here's how it works. As long as RDWY (or who ever we work for) offers the work to all the laid off dock men, they can work casuals.

Here's an example. The dock needs guys to come in at 20:00. RDWY will call our Unassigned men first. Then call the laid off men (dock qualified) in seniority order. If they don't get the number of men they need then they can call in casuals.

As long as the work was offered in that order, RDWY can work casuals with men in layoff status. DS.

I figured this was the case, it just seems wrong. I suppose they never use these casuals enough to force a recall.

The biggest problem with YRC is they have forgotten their roots. If they would just pick up and deliver freight, they wouldn't have to fudge numbers, lay off guys, or worry about putting too many people on the clock. Instead, they worry about numbers. Are we an accounting firm or a freight company? Instead of cutting cost and saving money, we should be grabbing all the freight we can and earning money, the old fashioned way. I'm not saying that there aren't avenues for saving money and cost cutting, but it should be done where it does the most good. There's no need for multiple managers and supervisors on the job when a few good people that actually have a clue can handle. There is absolutely no reason to have a terminal with 60 men and 20 managers. Take 120 for example. They have lost so much manpower over the course of the last COO's, yet management levels are still the same. Maybe Dollar Bill should look to cut in other areas besides the rank and file. If we don't have the manpower to move the freight, and we don't get the freight to move, it doesn't matter how much money we save, we still won't be able to pay the bills.
you know what amino, you're right......it would be nice to "get back to the basics" somewhere along the way they lost track of what it is we do.....remember servicing the customer, "high and tight", "on time and intact"......just like everyone else, greed took over, and it started being faster, scan , scan, scan more bills, hurry up, blah-blah-blah.....ahh, the old days......the g-man:red_bandana:

Now being a old timer............ back then we just would say whats on our mind............ so hear it goes... DOLLOR BILL IS JUST A OLD FASHION CLASS "A" JERK OFF WHO IS SINKINKING 2 GOOD COMPANYS WAY TO GO BILL BUT IM SURE YOU WILL GET A NICE PAY DAY IF OR WHEN WE GO OUT.......YOU SHOULD BUY ALL MEDICINE WITH YOUR MONEY

There is absolutely no reason to have a terminal with 60 men and 20 managers. Take 120 for example. They have lost so much manpower over the course of the last COO's, yet management levels are still the same. Maybe Dollar Bill should look to cut in other areas besides the rank and file. If we don't have the manpower to move the freight, and we don't get the freight to move, it doesn't matter how much money we save, we still won't be able to pay the bills.

I'm not sure where you are talking about, but 3-4 years ago, Roadway under the previous president went thru massive supv cuts, eliminated office managers, about a third of dock supv, many clerical support, CPS, ATM's. Talking with a DRO today, he has 10 fewer clerks/supv than he had 2 years ago.

Don't feel like its only the union employees that get cut. When mgmt or non-union clerical is cut, they don't ever come back, they are not 'laid off' they are economic discharge.

Yes layoffs are a fact of life, and this year is worse than others, due to the economy.

Yes more layoffs are upcoming due to consolidation. Again, Teamsters are laid off, the management and other non-union cuts are gone forever, virtually no chance of rehire. We won't need duplicate positions of relay managers, facility managers, garage managers, supervisors, payroll clerks, sales reps, you name it, everyone is at risk of no notice termination.

Safety dept has already been realigned, and the general office support teams are not safe either.

And thats just the way the business world is......

I'm not sure where you are talking about, but 3-4 years ago, Roadway under the previous president went thru massive supv cuts, eliminated office managers, about a third of dock supv, many clerical support, CPS, ATM's. Talking with a DRO today, he has 10 fewer clerks/supv than he had 2 years ago.

Don't feel like its only the union employees that get cut. When mgmt or non-union clerical is cut, they don't ever come back, they are not 'laid off' they are economic discharge.

Yes layoffs are a fact of life, and this year is worse than others, due to the economy.

Yes more layoffs are upcoming due to consolidation. Again, Teamsters are laid off, the management and other non-union cuts are gone forever, virtually no chance of rehire. We won't need duplicate positions of relay managers, facility managers, garage managers, supervisors, payroll clerks, sales reps, you name it, everyone is at risk of no notice termination.

Safety dept has already been realigned, and the general office support teams are not safe either.

And thats just the way the business world is......
Yep filpr......you are right. The union side has noticed the difference in the changes. It hurts us too.

When you don't have the sales force out on the street and the experienced dock supervisors to lead the men.......you get what we are dealing with today.

IMHO..........RDWY is still top heavy in management. The cuts are taking away from the ability to make our day to day operations tougher while some others are still living like it was in '99. Most know what I'm talking about. DS.

I figured this was the case, it just seems wrong. I suppose they never use these casuals enough to force a recall.
The fact is larry..........dock hours are watched just for that reason. Work as much OT and casuals as possible to keep from bringing anyone back.

With the freight levels at 671 being what they are, here at the end of the usual "peak season". Some of the 20+ year men may be looking at a lean winter. DS.