Yellow | DOT Banned Med's

JWor

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm waiting on a call back from my Dr, but i've been searching for a list of disqualifying medications from DOT. Anyone here know where I might be able to find this information. The info I'm trying to find is for Tramadol. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

I'm not positive on this but if your Dr. prescribed the meds I dont see where the D.O.T can say anything about it so long as it doesnt impair your driving.

I appreciate your reply, but still unanswered. I had a DOT physical a couple weeks ago. One of the med's I use for herniated disk, sciatic nerve pain is lortab 10. 2xday, it's the only thing so far that helps with my leg pain. The Dr said that dis-qualified me from operating a com vehicle. (while I was taking them) I had to sign a statement saying I understood, and would not take them while on duty. My Dr gave me a new pain script to try, tramadol, say's may cause drowsiness but no other stickers on the bottle, ya know the don't operate machinery one. I'm not willing to take a chance with my licenese or a DUI. You know YRC will let me work till I drop, but let something happen and i'll be thrown under the bus. Not to mention DOT wont care if it's prescribed or not, if your driving under what they consider the Influance. People get prescription DUI's all the time. I just don't wanna be one of them, and loose my license.

your ba should have a list for ya or be able to point ya in the right direction. or you could get on the tdu website and ask over there.

I appreciate your reply, but still unanswered. I had a DOT physical a couple weeks ago. One of the med's I use for herniated disk, sciatic nerve pain is lortab 10. 2xday, it's the only thing so far that helps with my leg pain. The Dr said that dis-qualified me from operating a com vehicle. (while I was taking them) I had to sign a statement saying I understood, and would not take them while on duty. My Dr gave me a new pain script to try, tramadol, say's may cause drowsiness but no other stickers on the bottle, ya know the don't operate machinery one. I'm not willing to take a chance with my licenese or a DUI. You know YRC will let me work till I drop, but let something happen and i'll be thrown under the bus. Not to mention DOT wont care if it's prescribed or not, if your driving under what they consider the Influance. People get prescription DUI's all the time. I just don't wanna be one of them, and loose my license.

I would question the doctors statement about lortab. Read the thread I posted and look at the DOT rules listed in a few of the posts. Lortab is acetaminophen and hydrocodone. There is nothing I can find in the DOT regulations that prohibit the use with a prescription. If I were you I would just call DOT and ask them. They should know and they will be able to tell you instead of taking the word of us here. We only know so much. Good luck. I also know many people on Tramadol. Tramadol is a very low dose pain killer. I don't think it will help your pain if the LorTab is the one that helps. Tramadol is much milder. Tramadol is not a narcotic it is classified as a "narcotic like" drug. Hope some of this helps. Tramadol Information from Drugs.com

usually the "ol" ending means narcotic. Hydrocodone is definitely not something you should take while driving. This I know from experience.

It also matters "how long" you have been taking the medicine.
but, just like USAtrucker said; MAKE THE CALL !

stay frosty !

check out this website

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

(b) (12)(i) Does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug.

(b)(12)(ii) Exception. A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who:

(b)(12)(ii)(A) Is familiar with the driver’s medical history and assigned duties; and

(b)(12)(ii)(B) Has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle; and

(b) (13) Has no current clinical diagnosis of alcoholism.

I'm waiting on a call back from my Dr, but i've been searching for a list of disqualifying medications from DOT. Anyone here know where I might be able to find this information. The info I'm trying to find is for Tramadol. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

WHAT DRUG USE IS PROHIBITED?

The drug rules prohibit any unauthorized use of the controlled substances. Illicit use of drugs by safety-sensitive drivers is prohibited on or off duty. The FMCSA has some additional rules that prohibit the use of legally prescribed controlled substances (such as barbiturates, amphetamines, morphine, etc.) by safety-sensitive drivers involved in interstate commerce.

I know that I wouldn't take any chances with my CDL. Get it straight from the DOT itself. Ask questions. Your CDL is too important to lose these days.

Drugs & driving

Any prescribed drug by a doctor that might have a adverse effect on operating a CMV is prohibited. A friend of mine with a CDL has a scrip for Vicodin/Acetemophin. When he asked for a letter form his doctor stating the drug would have no adverse effects on his driving, the doctor refused. Malpractice anyone? Any drug prescribed drug or over the counter medicine, which states, ‘the use of this drug may make you drowsy’, is strictly prohibited from use by a CMV driver when behind the wheel. Possession of a class 1 or 2 LEGALLY PRESCRIBED drug in a CMV is prohibited. Go to trucknet.com, the round table, medical forum & look at the posts over the last 2 years. Mike the DOT cop who is the Moderator of the Safety Forum covers this subject. Very informative.

You will probably have a hard time finding a DR that will write a letter stating Ultam/Ultracet(tramadol)will not impair your ability to drive. I had an incident that took me off of work for over 2 weeks because the letter the DR needs to write has to be specific. It needs to state something along the lines of "your DR understands what your normal daily duties are and has discussed with you these duties and the DR believes the medication will not impair your ability to operate a CMV". The DR has to also understand the FMCSA rules regarding the use of controlled substances and and has to discuss this with you. As far as I can find in the FMCSA, Methadone is really the only medication that will disqualify a driver from driving with or without a DR note. Again if your DR writes a note stating you can drive while under the DR's care while taking Ultram or Hydrocodone or Morphine, ect, then more than likely the company will object. I take a CSII Amphetamine and the company knows this but since I am under a DR's supervision and I have a note, it is legal and safe to drive. I suppose the worst thing that can happen is I may stay awake while driving, if you take Ultram it may make you drowsy. There is a difference from the companies(insurance/safety)perspective.

Just another note on Ultram, I did have an Rx for that medication a few years ago and let me warn you that tramadol is more addicting than your Lortabs. Its a synthetic opoid(narcotic like)but it works on the same receptors in your brain that Hydrocodone uses. The sudden discontinuation of tramadol most likely will cause brain zaps and dizzyness as well as the normal withdral symptoms caused by natural opoids. I had a really bad time when I stopped tramadol. Tramadol also lowers your threshold for having seizures so quitting as well as using tramadol may cause seizures even if you never had one before. Its bad news because DR's give it out much more than the narcotic pain relievers thinking they are safer and non addicting. The Pharma reps are selling this misinformation to DR's.