ABF | DOT Physical Examination Recertification

Why

TB Lurker
Credits
Whats the time, before the ABF has to pay you for waiting? 12/31/2015 I waited 3 hours 43 min. to long. ABF should pay me 8 hours after 2 hours. RIGHT

Good luck with that one. In Indy they pay you everything after 2 hours. But that can vary from each Local. Some don't get paid @ all. Check with you BA. von.

Physicals are taken on personal time for everyone. At least as far as I'm aware. I wish they would pay plus the background check but they didn't seem to think it important enough put it in the contract.

Our Supplement says paid after 2 hours. I don't know anyone whose tried to collect it, though. Most are done well within the 2 hour window.

You know how physicals are conducted now,.......They count two arms, two legs, two eyes, and a pulse, and you're good to drive truck........
You're in , urine out,....and you're out. Three and a half hours is an excessively long time to waste in the company's service. I hope you get paid for it.

By the way, what year was the newest edition of National Geographic in the waiting room?

By the way, what year was the newest edition of National Geographic in the waiting room?
National Geographic? You get National Geographic? All I ever get is Good Housekeeping, Better Homes and Gardens, Highlights, and golf magazines. Hell, I dream about a year old National Geographic or Time Magazine when I'm waiting. :ranting2:

Has anyone ever heard of anyone refusing to take a sleep apnea test? I am going in a week from Monday for recert and every time my weight and neck size are border line and they kind of talk about it but do not make me. I am worried they might try and I have heard so many horror stories about guys ending up with machines that really don't need them, I sleep like a baby and my wife of thirty plus years has never heard me breathe funny or stop breathing or anything like that. I am just wondering if there is any way of fighting it?

Our Supplement says paid after 2 hours. I don't know anyone whose tried to collect it, though. Most are done well within the 2 hour window.

You know how physicals are conducted now,.......They count two arms, two legs, two eyes, and a pulse, and you're good to drive truck........
You're in , urine out,....and you're out. Three and a half hours is an excessively long time to waste in the company's service. I hope you get paid for it.

No National Geographic. But they will PAY no hearing.:) yes no if and butts they paid:):):) money. A GOOD DAY :)

No National Geographic. But they will PAY no hearing.:) yes no if and butts they paid:):):) money. A GOOD DAY :)
How much time did you get paid for?

National Geographic? You get National Geographic? All I ever get is Good Housekeeping, Better Homes and Gardens, Highlights, and golf magazines. Hell, I dream about a year old National Geographic or Time Magazine when I'm waiting. :ranting2:
You probably have to smuggle your own copy in there, although if Nurse Ratched catches you, it's straight to the enema room.......

They used to have us do physicals on company time. I can remember stopping at the doctor's office in the middle of my peddle run. Three or four contracts ago. I think.

They should pay for all time spent because that may help weed out the Incompetent doctors who can't keep to a schedule. They'll certainly charge you if you miss an appointment.

Whatever you do, don't smuggle a Mad Magazine into the waiting room. I did that once, an

Has anyone ever heard of anyone refusing to take a sleep apnea test? I am going in a week from Monday for recert and every time my weight and neck size are border line and they kind of talk about it but do not make me. I am worried they might try and I have heard so many horror stories about guys ending up with machines that really don't need them, I sleep like a baby and my wife of thirty plus years has never heard me breathe funny or stop breathing or anything like that. I am just wondering if there is any way of fighting it?
I don't think you can refuse to take the test if the company selected doctor feels you meet the parameters. But,........as this test takes two days, you SHOULD be paid for ALL your time.

And,........if they determine you ....."need"... the equipment, and you feel differently, you can get another DOT certified physician to issue you a clean medical card. If the company contests that, they must pay for a third mutually agreed upon neutral physician to administer another test. As this starts running into money, and all the company cares about is that someone has "certified" you're fit to drive truck,.......thereby alleviating them of the liability, they will probably accept your clean card.

I went through this 10 years ago and that's what happened. Company doctor said I was overweight and over 50, so I needed a sleep apnea test. Over 50 yes, but at 6' and 195 lbs,I certainly wasn't overweight. Got my own medical card, and company accepted it. Eventually got rid of their doctor, too. Too many "tests".

If you are borderline, go through the process through your own Dr. take the paperwork with you.. its less bs. if you need it, use it, if not, test will clear you.

One of our guys went to the Company Dr. and was told he needed the "sleep test" The driver said he disagreed and would get a second opinion. He went to his own Dr. (and paid for it) and got a clean physical. I hope this helps you some. Good Luck

One of our guys went to the Company Dr. and was told he needed the "sleep test" The driver said he disagreed and would get a second opinion. He went to his own Dr. (and paid for it) and got a clean physical. I hope this helps you some. Good Luck
I think that is going to be my game plan, if worse comes to worse I'll be out the hundred and seventy five bucks or whatever they charge.

I don't think you can refuse to take the test if the company selected doctor feels you meet the parameters. But,........as this test takes two days, you SHOULD be paid for ALL your time.

And,........if they determine you ....."need"... the equipment, and you feel differently, you can get another DOT certified physician to issue you a clean medical card. If the company contests that, they must pay for a third mutually agreed upon neutral physician to administer another test. As this starts running into money, and all the company cares about is that someone has "certified" you're fit to drive truck,.......thereby alleviating them of the liability, they will probably accept your clean card.

I went through this 10 years ago and that's what happened. Company doctor said I was overweight and over 50, so I needed a sleep apnea test. Over 50 yes, but at 6' and 195 lbs,I certainly wasn't overweight. Got my own medical card, and company accepted it. Eventually got rid of their doctor, too. Too many "tests".
Every driver has a right to use their own doctor provided he does DOT certified physicals ( not all do) the company must accept it. 2 ) If you answer NO to all the questions & do not have any symptoms of sleep apnea you CANNOT be made to take a sleep test regardless of weight or neck size. They can recommend you to but not force you if you answer NO to any & all questions regarding symptoms.

Every driver has a right to use their own doctor provided he does DOT certified physicals ( not all do) the company must accept it. 2 ) If you answer NO to all the questions & do not have any symptoms of sleep apnea you CANNOT be made to take a sleep test regardless of weight or neck size. They can recommend you to but not force you if you answer NO to any & all questions regarding symptoms.
This is the first I've heard of this. I don't recall ANY questions regarding sleep apnea on the form. I'm 5' 7" and 162 pounds but not sure of my neck circumference. I do know that my wife can get BOTH her hands around it when I get 'out of line'. Bwahaha!!

This is the first I've heard of this. I don't recall ANY questions regarding sleep apnea on the form. I'm 5' 7" and 162 pounds but not sure of my neck circumference. I do know that my wife can get BOTH her hands around it when I get 'out of line'. Bwahaha!!