Drivers meeting

Equal pay for equal work.....

If we are going to continue listening to the hype that we are the Best of the Best the payscale is going to have to be at least equal to all the other carriers. We still have linehaul drivers who have been grandfathered in making top road rate when all the others are making the the standard relay rate. If and when the payscale ever goes up then we will be able to attract the younger drivers.

payscale

It's a shame that the higher ups at Jevic think that their payscale is in line with the other carriers. If you drivers would take the time to figure out your pay with and without overtime you would see about a 3 to 4 hundred dollar a week difference in your pay.
Why can the other carriers pay OT even Jervic's 2 neighbors pay OT and they seem to be growing and doing well. I'd like to see Sun cut the Pres's pay 3 or 4 hundred per week and see if he likes it.
As for me I have moved on to the so called greener pastures and I now get OT after 8.
Good luck fellows .:smilie_132: :nutkick:

drivers pay

Just an example of a check with and without OT.

A 40.90 hr check with OT is roughly $340 more with OT, drivers are losing a lot of money!!!

The three major points Dave touched on were:

Healthcare
.35/hr raise
change in start time

Health care- we are self funded and the deal we have now is the best we could get. Costs continue to rise. In order to make it less expensive, he might have chosen to change the coverage from 90/10 to 80/20 and he wasn't comfortable doing that

.35/hour- He said we are competitve in the industry. The guys went nuts. He agreed to have a driver representative meet with HR to review the data to verify where we came up with the number.

Change start time- We said from very beginning that the changes we not permanent. That based on workload adjustments would be made. Said we have to control costs to stay in business.

Also discussed was uniforms. Not sure exactly what the issue is but some guys want polo stye shirts. In my own opinion, based on the physiques I see in J1, stay with the current baggier shirts, unless you want to buy a "mansiere".

On a sales note, drivers need to understand that we are nothing without you. Nothing. It's the "product" that we sell and we need you. But, we gotta make money, and, while we are growing, we have a ways to go. So far every move Dave made is for the better for Jevic. He's not an owner and is payed a wage like the rest of us. So the man is not lining his pockets.

The tonnage just isn't there to fund more. We need you to grow and you have to help us by promoting a positive image, and not airing dirty laundry. If we don't pull together, our demise, like any company's will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

I hope that all of us that are able to wrap our brains around our opportunity will be rewarded.

All I know is, that as longas Dave's at the helm, there's nothing I won't do to help us continue on our path.

Jevic is nothing without it's drivers? They sure have a funny way of showing it, like constantly s***ing on us! But I guess it's our own fault, were stupid enough to let them keep getting away with it! At one time this used to be a DRIVERS COMPANY!

Jevic is nothing without it's drivers? They sure have a funny way of showing it, like constantly s***ing on us! But I guess it's our own fault, were stupid enough to let them keep getting away with it! At one time this used to be a DRIVERS COMPANY!

Then please, just please go away. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I'm sure you can get a full 4 days pay at New Century, or maybe Dunkin Donuts will pay time and a half after 40. That is if you can get 40.

On a sales note, drivers need to understand that we are nothing without you....

The tonnage just isn't there to fund more.

Then treat us like the gold we are instead of the fools you think we are.

It's hard to overcome the hard feelings of years of poor treatment. You can't unring a bell and we've gone from one of the highest paid "Best of the Best" to being only slightly better than J. B. Hunt.

As far as the tonnage not being there, what happened to our record breaking numbers? What happened to the best year ever?

Yes, change takes time, but there need to be proper changes. Like get some parts into the shop so that proper repairs can be made in a timely manner. Restore pride in the fleet by getting back to maintaining the vehicles properly.

Stop hiring drivers who can't speak English, who can't read English and who can't drive. Even if they are leased drivers, they scream "We can't hire decent drivers because we're CRAP and we don't care". What does it say to the client when the "Best of the Best" is a driver who doesn't understand a word they say and can't help them at all? (And PS, the lease drivers get time and a half after 40 and since Jevic works them more than 40, Jevic's costs are greater and yes, I know that they aren't technically Jevic employees but Jevic is still covering the costs.)

I remember the old Jevic. The Jevic I was proud to work for. I'd still rather say Jevic when asked my employer than Swift but things need to change if that's going to remain the same.

Everything that made Jevic a "family" is now gone. There's no annual picnic, there's no longer any inclusion of the families in anything and, heck, even the birthday cards are gone. It might of been hokey but it made you feel like they knew your name.

Yeah, Jevic has put my kids through college and paid off my mortgage and years ago they were there when I needed them. So I've stayed. Stuck by them. Defended them. Now it's their turn to step up to the bat and stepping up to the bat is NOT telling me that "The BEST of the BEST" pay is "competative". I don't want to be equal, I want to be BETTER!

Our health care might be good around a city but over here in western PA. It sucks . I have to go 45 miles to find a doctor An to Pittsburgh to get a hospital to take our health care It time for a change OR like Walmart drivers Have a choice of another plan . And a raise without taking somethine or raising something else !! I'am still proud to work here but I still would like Jevic to improve my job So I can say [ an mean it] I work for the best of the best

a solution

This is directed to Gabbydad,you were not here when we were a proud group of drivers,drivers that went above and beyond the call for the company. For you to tell any driver to go somewhere else to work is totally wrong. how about we tell you to get out there and sell more freight ,that your not doing enough or were going to cut your pay would you like being treated like that everyday.? well the drivers don't either and the SOLUTION is not to tell drivers to leave but to work to improve the conditions you work under.
Personally I had enough and I moved on after 14 years,but now I do get time and a half after eight and I started at top rate and I have gotten a raise since I have been there which is only 3 weeks,so there are companies out there that do care for drivers,so stop telling drivers to go to NC because they are not the only game around.
if you don't like hearing the drivers complain then do something to help them stop!!! if you can't then why don't you move on or go to dunkin dounuts or new century.

This is directed to Gabbydad,you were not here when we were a proud group of drivers,drivers that went above and beyond the call for the company. For you to tell any driver to go somewhere else to work is totally wrong. how about we tell you to get out there and sell more freight ,that your not doing enough or were going to cut your pay would you like being treated like that everyday.? well the drivers don't either and the SOLUTION is not to tell drivers to leave but to work to improve the conditions you work under.
Personally I had enough and I moved on after 14 years,but now I do get time and a half after eight and I started at top rate and I have gotten a raise since I have been there which is only 3 weeks,so there are companies out there that do care for drivers,so stop telling drivers to go to NC because they are not the only game around.
if you don't like hearing the drivers complain then do something to help them stop!!! if you can't then why don't you move on or go to dunkin dounuts or new century.

The bolded part is part of my life as well. I have one job, generate dollars or lose my job.
That's just part of any business.

In the drivers' meeting that I did attend, I heard alot of pertinent, well presented arguments. There is merit to alot of the points brought up, and as I mentioned in my recap, Dave committed to showing the drivers the criteria used for the wage. He at the same time would look at an adjustent if in fact one was needed.

As for someone leaving if they don't like it. That's just the way it is. If I feel like I'm being crapped on, I won't accept it.

To complain and do nothing on an anonymous blog board isn't very productive.

I'd also like to add that for those that were in the meeting, you had to at least appreciate his ability to take the heat and answer questions.

I've never in the 20 years and 6 carriers worked with or seen senior management conduct a meeting to address issues and listen to the employees.

He gives a crap and is committed to restoring us to where we used to be. He can't do it alone. He didn't get us here by himself. And he ain't fixing it by himself either.

But at least he cares. As long as he'll have me at Jevic, I'll be here.

This is good stuff! But as a fly on the wall, I see that we need to worry about the tonnage we have now, and getting it picked up and delivered on time, before looking for more freight to risk losing to other carriers. We are in our best season right now, with freeze-protect, and if we drop the ball now, it's gonna be a long, hot summer.

I see freight bills where delivery times are being missed, and no one seems to be overly upset about it. Can't blame drivers for all service failures: after all, they do not set the delivery appts. or plan the loads.

It just seems to me, that there is a breakdown in communication and concern between the Prez's office and the inside of the dispatch windows. It's always been that way at every facility I have darkened, and it never seems to get better. Some people in the middle tier seem to think they are "tenured". The people who move the freight (drivers and dock workers) appear to be the only ones on a Real-Time schedule, and worry about doing their jobs.

And Sales, you do a great job, but don't paint a rosy picture to the customer and expect it to get done on time every time (as it really should), because it ain't. We need more dedication in the nether regions of our OPERATIONS.

Jevic policy seems to be built upon numbers: nice stats, load tonnage avgs, etc. Got to have tools for performance, yes, but we need to DELIVER what we promise, consistently. What good is it to have 5 drivers, local, regional, or road, go out with a full trailer and high load average, and the have those drivers not be able to get the freight off, because of delays, or multiple stops with SAME or close appt. times, and wind up bringing freight back to yard due to missed delivery. Also, missed pickups, because those drivers didn't get empty. And what about the load averages of the 5 drivers we had to send out empty to make those pick-ups we could salvage?

Yes, as Jevic drivers, we ask and expect a lot. But, that is to be expected, when you are "The Best Of The Best". We were told that when we were hired, and we felt honored to be a part of Jevic, because, at one time, it was hard to get a job here. It needs to be that way again, and will be, if drivers are recognized/rewarded for their efforts, and the people who don't belong here for whatever reason are forced to sink to their own level somewhere else. And, no, I don't think we need to be running drivers off, but, as the saying goes...'one bad apple will make the whole bushel stink'.

Make us proud to be here, and you will be proud that we are.

to the cheer squad captain

I do beleive your job is sales,so in that capacity you shouldn't be on some blog telling drivers to go find another job if they disagree with the thoughts of management. It seems that if you disagree with their way of thinking then your put on the hit list and they try and find a way to get you out of there.
Well I was on it because I am and always will be outspoken when I feel something is wrong,and if I was still employed there I would have attened the meeting and presented my issues.:clap: :BS:

I think it comes down to this. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it. Just as anyone is entitled to agree or not agree with it.

We'll have to agree to disagree because every time I feel that something is not accurate, I'm going to attempt to add balance to it.

For example. I never once. Not once disagreed with any of the driver issues specifically. I have no basis to. But I do take exception and will continue to when said drivers take our dirty laundry and expose it to customers. That is never acceptable.

If you go back to any of my responses, they're about adding that balance for someone to consider both sides. And as for not liking a place to work, I still say that everyone has a choice. Be part of making it better, or move on. That applies to any job any where.