XPO | Dropped trailers

It's amazing how many guys I see that have been driving forever and still think it's ok to just crank the dang landing gear all the way down.

The Sterlings sit about an inch higher than the Freightliners, and the dollies sit even higher than the Sterlings. So unless you leave the dolly legs a couple inches off the ground when you drop a kite, the next guy down the line is going to have to roll it down before he hooks.

Anyone who's been driving a truck for more than a day should be able to grasp this concept...

No matter where I have worked, unless the tractor or dolly actually picks the trailer up off the ground when I back under it I get out and crank the trailer down until I'm sure it will. Never had a dropped trailer because of it.

Remember to use your flashlight to check your hook. It is part of the Standard Work Instructions (SWI)
Laugh if you want to but they will ask you if you did at the driver review board
Sometimes even dropped out properly it may be to high because of the difference in equipment
A low dropped trailer can be just as bad when it slides an misses the pin!!
Do Not trust the equipment. I do every check in 3's just an old school habit

Exactly. Take your time. Do it right in the yard and tug the sh#t out of it right there. If I'm going to drop it , it's going to be right in that spot. Then I'll drive on the road without worry of it falling off. Stream light makes a pen light that has a clip on it very bright and clips to your pants or shirt pocket. They cost 20$ but made in the usa, guaranteed for life and bright enough to hook on the dark side of the moon. I believe we have four different fifth wheels in our system right now (with one swi) and at least that many height differences. Also a lot of us have had a very successful system that clicks in our brain for a lot of years
And now they believe that we all have to do it the same way. Just saying.

Exactly. Take your time. Do it right in the yard and tug the sh#t out of it right there. If I'm going to drop it , it's going to be right in that spot. Then I'll drive on the road without worry of it falling off. Stream light makes a pen light that has a clip on it very bright and clips to your pants or shirt pocket. They cost 20$ but made in the usa, guaranteed for life and bright enough to hook on the dark side of the moon. I believe we have four different fifth wheels in our system right now (with one swi) and at least that many height differences. Also a lot of us have had a very successful system that clicks in our brain for a lot of years
And now they believe that we all have to do it the same way. Just saying.

I hate those new fifth wheels..they just don't look safe..look cheap.

c2fd30e8c844553594630a932d5edee7.jpg

The only way to best ensure you don't drop a trailer. Not a guarantee, but at least you have proof you checked it.

c2fd30e8c844553594630a932d5edee7.jpg

The only way to best ensure you don't drop a trailer. Not a guarantee, but at least you have proof you checked it.
Not practical... But point taken....I'm too busy to take a picture of every hook...just yank the **** out of it and take a good look ... That's been working for years .

I jacknife the trailer so i dont have to crawl under to check. I can clearly see it during the walk around

I jacknife the trailer so i dont have to crawl under to check. I can clearly see it during the walk around
I do that a lot too... A lot of it is just old school stuff... Stuff that just comes natural to the old timers.......lots of mistakes and years of experience teach you well.

I've never heard of that one..I bet the snow and ice is also a problem when hooking..

Especially when unhooking. Hard to pull the lever when its buried in packed snow/ice from the tandems. Or the jaws are frozen and you have to get the mechanic to put a torch to it.
But yeah I always just turn hard and make an L out of the truck. Fifth wheel and jaws are then exposed

Especially when unhooking. Hard to pull the lever when its buried in packed snow/ice from the tandems. Or the jaws are frozen and you have to get the mechanic to put a torch to it.
But yeah I always just turn hard and make an L out of the truck. Fifth wheel and jaws are then exposed

Never thought of that..thanks, will do that now.

We have that snow/ice problem maybe once a season..well, the guys going to Tulsa probably have the problem a few times a year..I hate snow and ice...give me 105 degrees anyday..

Never thought of that..thanks, will do that now.

We have that snow/ice problem maybe once a season..well, the guys going to Tulsa probably have the problem a few times a year..I hate snow and ice...give me 105 degrees anyday..
Im with you on the weather. Not sure how many more winters I'm going to do.

LOL..move to TX and become a Cowboys fan...we're on top right now..%#$& the Eagles..
No matter where I go I will be a Packer fan and NOT a cowboy fan. I still have the memories of us getting our ass handed to us by Troy Aikman.

Works well with the new side boards hard to get under for a big man
Also if you are highly bundled for winter hooks but you still need to be very careful pulling away from
dock to make the left turn to check the fifth wheel jaws still could drop
I to have used camera if there seems to be a lot of slop in the dolly, look at the pin sometimes they
can have a lot of wear especially on refurbished trailers and those with orange stickers going to Ar. for rebuild
Always Think and Work Smart! A lot of things and people are depending on us being a professional,
no matter what silliness is going on in the company! Like Big Dave use to say KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN!

Can someone tell me why CONWAY FREIGHT has so many dropped trailers you dont hear of fed ex, ups , yrc , only CONWAY I believe we have out dated dollies that are in excess of 20 years old any suggestions?????

I would like to see new dollys or at least new fifth wheels not reman either but new!! And I would also like to see numbers of other ltl companies dropped trailers