Holland | Earned Time Off

the5tolls

Wait till 2024....we'll show em!
Credits
Hi Guys, Got my call today and all the bids are gone, so back on the open board I go! That's OK, I kind of like getting sleep during the week instead of doing house chores. I have been hearing guys talking about the company not honoring earned time off. I was wondering if some of the open board guys on here could let me know what the latest is on this topic? I hear guys talking about getting home Sunday morning and going back out Sunday night, is it that bad that you can't even get one day at home a week? Just trying to get a heads up so I can let the wife know when to have her boyfriend out of the house each week! :D Thanks!

I haven't seen that. Guys have got forced out on Sun after getting home sat morn, even if they preference off but, not home Sun and forced back out Sun. Prolly gonna be a busy summer cause they can't replace guys as fast as guys are retiring/leaving. That's why I passed on open board, figured I wouldn't see the house much

Very short of Linehaul Drivers , alot of loads sitting , and yeah been hearing of forced out and running everybody hard , comes down to WHERE are they going find DRIVERS to start & give back -15% on 1st day of work ??? and plus the age of the trucks too ??

Hi Guys, Got my call today and all the bids are gone, so back on the open board I go! That's OK, I kind of like getting sleep during the week instead of doing house chores. I have been hearing guys talking about the company not honoring earned time off. I was wondering if some of the open board guys on here could let me know what the latest is on this topic? I hear guys talking about getting home Sunday morning and going back out Sunday night, is it that bad that you can't even get one day at home a week? Just trying to get a heads up so I can let the wife know when to have her boyfriend out of the house each week! :D Thanks!
If you get down to Memphis give me a shout. I'll be loading city where you enter our terminal. Griz

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I am actually hoping to get down that way this fall, my middle child is going to be at Ole Miss for the next two years at graduate school. I think it is only about an hour from our terminal there, I have only been to that terminal once. It should be a lot warmer winter for him then last year up here in Wisconsin!

If you get down to Memphis give me a shout. I'll be loading city where you enter our terminal. Griz

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Maybe you will get your wish and some guys will get fired so you can go back on a bid.

Dayton driver always gets out late, so I sit around and wait for him donating the first hour and then I always had kicks in Chicago, Wheeling, Joliet, Rockford and Milwaukee, sometime two on one day. By the time I commute forty miles each way, I would be much better off on open board! Plus mama likes me a whole lot better when she only see's me a couple days a week!

If you asked her she would probably say a couple days a month! Should work out just fine if they are running guys that hard!

I would quit if I was refused my earned day off. So what if you don't get a pension, and have to pay your own health insurance, at least the equipment would be decent to drive and you wouldn't have to sleep in some of those Gawd awful rat-trap motels (ie . . .Kansas City). Back in the day, you could file a grievance over dump motels. But I'm a dinosaur and my time is almost gone.

I would quit if I was refused my earned day off. So what if you don't get a pension, and have to pay your own health insurance, at least the equipment would be decent to drive and you wouldn't have to sleep in some of those Gawd awful rat-trap motels (ie . . .Kansas City). Back in the day, you could file a grievance over dump motels. But I'm a dinosaur and my time is almost gone.

Dad-Gum, what's wrong with Hodgie's hideout in KC?? Some of the best roach racing in the Midwest, not to mention the wonderful entertainment provided by the Section 8 folks twice a month..Geez, if that's all it takes to make you quit is the loss of an earned day off, that's terrible. I've been called by Central on Saturday morning, while hung out, and informed that I was being forced out on Sunday night, when I got in during the wee hours of Sunday morning. That has only happened once, but it was no big deal, because on the following Tuesday, they had to pay me to wait on available hours at the other Hodgie Hideout of Columbus. I love getting paid while watching the tube and eating a free "Continental" breakfast!!

You should get paid for a four hour call in for breaking your rest and time spent in bed just like they ran you out of hours on an illegal dispatch. The problem is Tyson Johnson. He was a Cement Truck driver and doesn't see anything wrong with having forced overtime on your sixth day. Except linehaul doesn't get overtime and the contract guarantees time off for road drivers.

But hey, if you whimps want to give up your work rules through past practice then that's your problem. It only takes six months of nobody protesting and it will become past practice they you will have lost the work rule until you negotiate it back.

No worries though, after they work you to death, your wife's new husband will gladly spend all the money you made being "forced" on your sixth day. You guys have got to realize these penny payments for your time is not how things used to run.

If you too afraid to file a grievance alone then do a group grievance. It's your job, if you want to give in to the Yellow mentality then its on you.

You should get paid for a four hour call in for breaking your rest and time spent in bed just like they ran you out of hours on an illegal dispatch. The problem is Tyson Johnson. He was a Cement Truck driver and doesn't see anything wrong with having forced overtime on your sixth day. Except linehaul doesn't get overtime and the contract guarantees time off for road drivers.

But hey, if you whimps want to give up your work rules through past practice then that's your problem. It only takes six months of nobody protesting and it will become past practice they you will have lost the work rule until you negotiate it back.

No worries though, after they work you to death, your wife's new husband will gladly spend all the money you made being "forced" on your sixth day. You guys have got to realize these penny payments for your time is not how things used to run.

If you too afraid to file a grievance alone then do a group grievance. It's your job, if you want to give in to the Yellow mentality then its on you.

PLEASE CLARIFY "WORK RULES" as we have NONE. The last time I looked, a block of swiss cheese has more consistency and less holes then our contract, and as it goes for "local" work rules, when mentioned, they refer back to the original rules signed way back in 1953 by Hoffa Sr. I did get paid for my time spent waiting on available hours, and they have not "forced" me since then, I think they may have learned from their mistake, but then again, I have been mistaken myself. I think that after I die, I really won't have to care whom is taking care of my wife, as she won't be mine anymore, and the monies left over are already diverted to trust and educational funds for the grandkids. Let them enjoy the "fruits" of my labor and the next sucker can pay for the broom rider and her drama, as I'll be long GONE! PS: The dispatch wasn't illegal, I had available hours and I advised them if they wanted to force me, I would be out of hours on Tuesday. They made the decision and paid me for it to get the job done. If you want to survive in this industry, you have to weigh all options and make the best decision based on the information presented, otherwise, they close this company down and we are all on the block collecting UI, which does not pay the bills and doesn't provide health care. Besides that, once you past the "golden" age of 50 as a driver, may I wish you the best of luck finding long term employment with the current benefit package that we currently have, because Bro, It just won't be happening.

If you had time off approved and they forced you to work, then it was wrong and you should be compensated. All those excused you used, are just that, excuses. I'm too old, there are no jobs. etc, etc.

If you had time off approved and they forced you to work, then it was wrong and you should be compensated. All those excused you used, are just that, excuses. I'm too old, there are no jobs. etc, etc.

Driving around with you head firmly planted in your butt must be an acquired talent. I can tell from your posting that you haven't had to look for a job in about 30 years or so. Just to let you know, the 2 favorite excuses that these "new" employers use are #1: You don't fit our business model and #2: You are way overqualified for this position. Not excuses, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, Got photo's and the T-Shirt to prove it. Take a damned good look around you, our numbers are dwindling, we don't have enough drivers to cover the volume of freight that we currently have, our fleet is over 10 years old and there ain't NOBODY coming to the rescue. Either we suck it up and do the work, or face the consequences. Either way, it isn't pretty, and the days of being able to just say "NO" are all but gone. This is going to become a 24/7/365 job in the very near future, I speculate, about the time electronic logging comes in. Then you will see a radical change to running on rest, 6 trips earns a 48 hour break, 12 trips a 72. Yeah, it's coming.

I am trying to remember the YRC earned time off policy, I only worked there for a few months, was it six days gets you 36 hours, seven days gets you 48 and ten days get you 60? I really can't remember, then all you need is a hog board, like I was on, and we can just all go work elsewhere! I actually filled out an online application with a non union a few hours ago. I don't expect anything to come of it, but I just thought what do I have to lose? My 25 percent of a pension?

Driving around with you head firmly planted in your butt must be an acquired talent. I can tell from your posting that you haven't had to look for a job in about 30 years or so. Just to let you know, the 2 favorite excuses that these "new" employers use are #1: You don't fit our business model and #2: You are way overqualified for this position. Not excuses, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, Got photo's and the T-Shirt to prove it. Take a damned good look around you, our numbers are dwindling, we don't have enough drivers to cover the volume of freight that we currently have, our fleet is over 10 years old and there ain't NOBODY coming to the rescue. Either we suck it up and do the work, or face the consequences. Either way, it isn't pretty, and the days of being able to just say "NO" are all but gone. This is going to become a 24/7/365 job in the very near future, I speculate, about the time electronic logging comes in. Then you will see a radical change to running on rest, 6 trips earns a 48 hour break, 12 trips a 72. Yeah, it's coming.

These guys crying about being forced to work 7 days a week, are either doing it because they want to, or need to lean how the log book works. Stay off the top line, Meesters!