Estes | ESTES EXPRESS LINES In House Driver Training?

newone30

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm curious. Does Estes have in house driver training? I would love to drive but don't have a cdl yet. If not, what would be the best route to aim for a driver position in the future with estes? I hear LTL is the way to do if you're gonna drive without dealing with shoddy OTR companies. Just want some advice about how to get where you guys are ... I've researched most of the LTL companies and you guys along with Old Dominion seem to be at the top of the heap. I'm glad to see you guys take so much pride in the company. It's a rarity nowdays. Anyways, any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

First let me say thank you for the compliment about our Co. and our people. We think we do pretty good too.
Second let me say IMO you are right to start in LTL, best pay, most home time and for someone to start young and to work up, it is the way to go.
I am not aware of a in Co. driver training program, but I may be wrong, maybe some of these other posters know about one.
The the biggest problem you are facing right now is the industry is suffering thru one of the toughest times in decades and most Co. are laying-off instead of hiring.
We are optimistic that things will pick back up in mid-March or April, but that too is still uncertain. So I wish you luck in your search. You may get going with us in the spring.

Good Reply

Kings Disciplle, very good reply to this person, and I agree, this is one great co. to work for, I've been here 16 years and never had a complaint, matter of fact I look forward to work everyday I have the opportunity. I hope this person will one day have the chance to work for Estes sometime in the future when everything comes back to normal. Anyway, good job.

Kings Disciplle, very good reply to this person, and I agree, this is one great co. to work for, I've been here 16 years and never had a complaint, matter of fact I look forward to work everyday I have the opportunity. I hope this person will one day have the chance to work for Estes sometime in the future when everything comes back to normal. Anyway, good job.

Hello bodeen and thanks, I've got 11 yrs. here at the big E myself and I thank God for a great place to work. :1036316054:

Check with one of the terminal managers but I believe it is only for existing employees and they will usually only start one when they have enough people to make it worth their time.

SADSACK is right. Your best shot is to start off with a dock job work your butt off and show the TM you are a value to this company. They can teach you everything and that way you already have a job, and no BS OTR companys or schools to deal with. But Kd is correct it is a tough time right now anywhere you go

there is a driving school at estes in dallas,. so we do do this but right now it would be tough to get on

There is a driver training program conducted by S. O'ham. He conducts several throughout the company each year, we had a guy go through this summer in Charlotte. You have to be an Estes Employee for a year and be recommended by TM and DM. If you quit or terminate within 2 yrs after completion you have to pay back money on a prorated amount.

I ran a schedule that put me thru 010 for several years and I do remember hearing about something like that, but I did'nt know how it worked. There was a yard jockey from our barn that wanted to drive a few years back, and I remember he went to Charlotte and stayed for a little while. Wnen he came back he started running city. I reckon that is what he must have been doing. Thanks DD and hello to ya.:wavey:

The best thing to do is call the 1800work4estes hot line and it will direct you to the appropriate person to ask that question too. Good luck. I've been here 9 years and it has been very enjoyable. Yes you're going to have bad times,like we're going through now,but, if you take care of them ,they will take care of you. Again, good luck and if you get hired, WELCOME TO ESTES.

We used to have the driver training school here @ 024 twice a year. We haven't had one this year, for obvious reasons I suppose. Other guys that spent enough time as yard jockeys were given the option to obtain their CDL by going out in the city for a few weeks with either one of our 2 trainers. All the yard guys needed to do was get their CDL permit with the appropriate endorsments, spend the couple weeks with the city guys and Estes would provide the equipment when it was test time.

A side note this had me thinking about... Isn't it amazing how 5 years ago, there was all this talk about a major shortage of truck drivers and how it was only going to get worse. Fast forward to now and it's quite the opposite.