Exceeding Goals and Expectations

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Well this week is a year at Gordon's and you ask "Well Michael, how much money did you make?"

Well I'll tell you now that I have the final tally. I made gross dollars wise $68,000+ actually if we want to get technical this next pay check will come right on my one year anniversary and that will bump it up to probably just under $70K so that's not to shabby I don't think at all. There's a lot of people making a lot less. I know some LTL jobs pay more, but I also know some pay less and I've got fringe benefits to boot like 10% off at our company grocery stores and a $65.00 gift card every Christmas to the company grocery store. So that's pretty darn good.

I know some jobs pay more, but I also know some pay less as well and for how were worked and what we make and the benefits we have with retirement profit sharing and everything we have a pretty good deal. You know I have days that are hard and I have days that are easy. Right now everything seems to be okay they have it all straightened out alright, well it's at least better my Tuesday got to big and became very hard for me to handle it was just to big of a day another driver even said "Yeah I looked at your Tuesday route and said that's 13 hours right there." They did cut it down. We've had some new business come on and there looking for more growth which means more money for everyone actually come this spring there adding a truck and making a new route I guess we finally grew enough to get another truck on. I kind of thought that we might be in need of another truck and that's sure enough what happened.

Anyhow hopefully I can keep up the good work and while nobody can predict the future you can at least try to make a plan you kind of have to have some direction of where your going and I think if I keep playing my cards the way I am should be able to buy a house mortgage free in the next 16 months, now I'm not talking some big fancy mansion, but how much room does one guy need? It's definitely possible, see with me they kind of broke the mold when they made me either that or I'm one that fell off the turnip truck. My life is pretty normal, but there's been somethings in it and the way the cards fell that while at the time it kind of seemed like oh that's not fun and that sucks, but big picture wise it was going to work out well.

A man I used to work with said to me a couple months ago "It doesn't matter either you put in the time on the front end or put it in on the back end. If you can put it in on the front end fast and swiftly while your single and unattached you mine as well. Or else you'll be like me older and working like a dog." Well I'm working like a dog now,but you know will see what happens I'd like to get on early set transit and it wouldn't be a big deal because if you don't have a mortgage hanging over your head or dependents which I don't have things are not complex not to hard to thrive. Right now I have to keep my options open because we never know if they are going to keep basing transit drivers out of the yards or out of the warehouse, there's been a move to base them out of the warehouse for whatever reason and if I have to move to Pittsburgh one day or Youngstown area of Ohio then I guess that's what I'll have to do, but that's all conjecture for the moment.

Buy a house mortgage free? The sacrifice you make now will set you up really, really well and when you're old with a house full of kids you'll be able to do what you want to do for a living even if it pays less.
20yrs ago when I started driving at 21 before wages started to stagnate I was making + - $1000/wk after OT with 1996 cost of living. No kids, no wife, no bills. I look back at that 21 yr old dummy and all the $$$ he pissed away on frivolous crap and shake my head sometimes.

Buy a house mortgage free? The sacrifice you make now will set you up really, really well and when you're old with a house full of kids you'll be able to do what you want to do for a living even if it pays less.
20yrs ago when I started driving at 21 before wages started to stagnate I was making + - $1000/wk after OT with 1996 cost of living. No kids, no wife, no bills. I look back at that 21 yr old dummy and all the $$$ he pissed away on frivolous crap and shake my head sometimes.

You know I had that thought today as I ran my route at a mach 2 pace, I said "You know I don't want to keep jumping through hoops and performing miracles everyday to make this happen, I've done city work now since day one and you know what I think I've put my time in with the city work I've been to our harder docks and back in hell one's even one of my stops on Monday now (horray for me!) I said you know eventually one day I don't think I'm going to feel like trying to back a truck into a down town building parking garage and then hugging a poll and getting out to look 15 times forever. All that's all well and good for now and the next 24 months, but 5 years from now I don't want to be doing that someone else can have a turn. Or worry about am I late am I on time is this case here is that case there, you get over that stuff after a while.

Or jumping in and out of the truck 15 times a day. Gosh I remember my beer routes some days I had 25 stops it's was like you drive 100 yards stop make a delivery drive 50 feet stop make a delivery, that job had it's place and was alright for some people, but I knew that wasn't for me. I'll say this about that, the beer company at the core had the right idea, at the core the company was good. Where they failed was in the execution and operation, plus the managers there they weren't my kind of people.

I would like to be independently wealthy and you know it's funny my idea of "fun" is more like this, since I am a truck driver that means I can work where ever I want and anywhere pending clean driving record and what not. So like me I would like and this is just thinking out loud, I would like to go see Toronto or other parts of the Canadian Maritime, well I can go as a tourist or I can go as a GFS employee and work temporarily up there if the company lets me even if it's just as a helper and really get down into the mean and potatoes of things and really be out on the streets and see the sights and places that you might go as a tourist, but really get to dig down deep into it.

Like after watching Highway Thru Hell I'd like to go see the Coq, but I'd rather go there and see it and work up there doing B-Trains or something you know get to see it, but have money come in not go out. At any rate though that's all pipe dreaming for the moment.