Estes | Extra board advise

Lucy in the Sky

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys I live in central mo close to kansas city. Kc is not hiring for otr regional anymore but Columbia, mo and St louis, mo are. My question is would it make a difference if I was to be domiciled out of a small terminal like Columbia? Or would you get more miles being out of a larger terminal like st louis? I would think not because for most week you are bouncing from terminal to terminal

Also being as winter is almost upon us there a chance I may be laid off? As long as I can make 800/wk gross I'll be happy. I would LOVE to get out of this sleeper truck and into the ltl world. Any advise is appreciated!

Estes hasn't laid anyone off since 2008. You might not work much in the winter, but you'll have a job.

If you don't mind being extraboard for a very long time, you could work out of a small terminal and do fine. If you'd eventually like a bid run, you'll do better at a larger terminal. Either way, you'll get to work.

800 a week gross is quite easy here. Extraboard starts at 54.5 cpm and you get increases every 6 months for 3 years. Top out is currently 62.5 but by the time you get there it'll be more. We generally get a cost of living increase every January. You can expect to average 2000-2500 miles when it's slow, and up to 3000 (or more if you want it) when it's busy.

If you get hired in, you could always transfer to KC when an opening is posted. 90 days after you transfer, you get all of your seniority.

Every place has its problems, but this is the best trucking job I've had. Good luck.

Hey guys I live in central mo close to kansas city. Kc is not hiring for otr regional anymore but Columbia, mo and St louis, mo are. My question is would it make a difference if I was to be domiciled out of a small terminal like Columbia? Or would you get more miles being out of a larger terminal like st louis? I would think not because for most week you are bouncing from terminal to terminal

Also being as winter is almost upon us there a chance I may be laid off? As long as I can make 800/wk gross I'll be happy. I would LOVE to get out of this sleeper truck and into the ltl world. Any advise is appreciated!
Yeah what drummer said is correct. Realistically, you'd probably never get a bid Linehaul run out of Columbia. On extraboard, it would probably be easier to get out of Columbia at an earlier time on your start day because they finish up and close usually by 10pm, whereas Kck and slo are 24 hour terminals. If they don't have any extra freight on your start day, then they would run you empty to slo or Kck 99% of the time rather than have you stay home.

Thanks for the replys guys. I need to get a car fixed up then I will be applying to Columbia. Here's to hoping they accept me! Talked to a guy on the cb that has 10 years on the extra board out of kc and he had nothing but good things to say.