FedEx Freight | Falling behind to other LTL’s

Road_Warrior1

JUST TRUCK IT
Credits

So here comes another LTL that gets close to us once again in pay. Not only are they pretty much caught up in mileage pay with us, their benefits blow us out of the room.. so all in all they are 100% better by far.

Now I want to hear all the Purple kool aids point something negative out.. instead of just facing that we are starting to fall behind more and more and we have no voice at all

The only negative thing I have to say about ABF is that their transfer policy sucks. If not for that, I probably would've jumped ship a year or 2 ago. What stopped me was my plan to move in the near future, so I'll hang tight and figure it all out later.

The only negative thing I have to say about ABF is that their transfer policy sucks. If not for that, I probably would've jumped ship a year or 2 ago. What stopped me was my plan to move in the near future, so I'll hang tight and figure it all out later.
Correct. I actually experienced this myself. The area I moved to they didn’t have Linehaul. Closest breakbulk was 2 hours away

Last edited:
ABF? Lol. No way would I work for them. It's ok if they make a little more. Who cares. Up and down any given year. No purple Kool aid here. I just recognize that things come and go and change like the wind. Well all be ok. Even if that means getting hired somewhere else. I had an old boss that once told me that truck drivers are a dime a dozen. My have things changed.

ABF? Lol. No way would I work for them. It's ok if they make a little more. Who cares. Up and down any given year. No purple Kool aid here. I just recognize that things come and go and change like the wind. Well all be ok. Even if that means getting hired somewhere else.
What’s so bad about ABF please let me know. Anyone can say the same exact thing.. FedEx? OD? No way I’ll work there. The problem is that the FedEx brand looks better than any other brand from the outside in

Last edited:
New road drivers at ABF hubs typically have to start off on call 24/7 365 for a few years until you can hold a run. No set days off, it’s like 48 hours off after 6 tours. There’s no way I’m living like that for a few years. Maybe if I was 21 but not now with kids. If they had a XB like FedEx I would have went down the street years ago.

New road drivers at ABF hubs typically have to start off on call 24/7 365 for a few years until you can hold a run. No set days off, it’s like 48 hours off after 6 tours. There’s no way I’m living like that for a few years. Maybe if I was 21 but not now with kids. If they had a XB like FedEx I would have went down the street years ago.
I agree 100% and I’m very aware how long it takes to hold bids there. But something to throw out there… FedEx can become union tomorrow and still operate just how they have been without the union. Having a union doesn’t mean operations have to change. Way less PT/Rails and way better benefits is all anyone can ask for. Those cookouts don’t seem to be bringing in any change for us

Last edited:
The problem is you can't sell the teamsters to FedEx employees. O'Brien might be able to change that perspective, but we'll have to wait and see how these current negotiations go. I don't care about the pension or teamcare, but PT protection is a big deal.
and that is the biggest thing here S69. You may not care much about health care but care more about the PT. That is totally fine. Someone else may care mostly about Pension only.

Me, I care a lot about health care & PT.

My point here is that all of the things we care about are provided by the union

What’s so bad about ABF please let me know. Anyone can say the same exact thing.. FedEx? OD? No way I’ll work there. The problem is that the FedEx brand looks better than any other brand
It's my personal preference. I used to work on a loading dock for 10 years at my last job. Their equipment especially the trailers were some of the worst I've seen next to roadway before they merged with yellow. Way worse than some of the trailers floating around this company. Made a bad impression on me during those 10 years I had to load ltl. As far as everything else I'm just happy keep things going. Sometimes when you see enough bitching over the years off of peanuts in difference on wages I've just come to realize that the business changes like the wind. There are other jobs out there and all of us would be hired by Monday if we needed one. My opinion. You don't have to disect it. You do you but that's been my experience.

The problem is you can't sell the teamsters to FedEx employees. O'Brien might be able to change that perspective, but we'll have to wait and see how these current negotiations go. I don't care about the pension or teamcare, but PT protection is a big deal.
But yes union to 90% of these FedEx drivers is a lost topic.

Hopefully we all don’t learn a hard lesson when more and more keeps getting taken away to balance their fall outs at Ground and Express

It's my personal preference. I used to work on a loading dock for 10 years at my last job. Their equipment especially the trailers were some of the worst I've seen next to roadway before they merged with yellow. Way worse than some of the trailers floating around this company. Made a bad impression on me during those 10 years I had to load ltl. As far as everything else I'm just happy keep things going. Sometimes when you see enough bitching over the years off of peanuts in difference on wages I've just come to realize that the business changes like the wind. There are other jobs out there and all of us would be hired by Monday if we needed one. My opinion. You don't have to disect it. You do you but that's been my experience.
Wow.. I’m going to keep this very short..

Equipment? Jesus Christ..

Quick fact:
ABF road drivers actually have way newer trucks than us. 3 year rotation

Last edited:
and that is the biggest thing here S69. You may not care much about health care but care more about the PT. That is totally fine. Someone else may care mostly about Pension only.

Me, I care a lot about health care & PT.

My point here is that all of the things we care about are provided by the union

It's all about give and take. What are you willing to give to get?

Employees, particularly drivers, fear company seniority over job seniority... Don't want a senior dock worker jumping to the top of the driver board after going through the apprentice program and definitely not dovetailing in.

There's also the political affiliation. It's insignificant to some, but to others it matters.

Those are the biggest obstacles I've come across with union discussions.

So here comes another LTL that gets close to us once again in pay. Not only are they pretty much caught up in mileage pay with us, their benefits blow us out of the room.. so all in all they are 100% better by far.

Now I want to hear all the Purple kool aids point something negative out.. instead of just facing that we are starting to fall behind more and more and we have no voice at all
Not sure if you worked out the math on that, but $6.50 over 4yrs is disgraceful. That's what? $1.62ish a year, or around 4.8%.

God bless you if you only gain $6.50hr beyween now and Oct 2027.
With inflation, that $6.50 MAY have $4 in buying power by then.

Sheesh. Talk about low expectationa.