FedEx Freight | Fatal FedEx hit and run

Well, I'm Mike West(the other guy that was hit.) This is the first time I'm seeing all of this and thought I could give everyone an update, as well as tell you all exactly what happened that night.

For starters, I started working for Fedex in 2005 at age 20. At that time it was called Watkins, but went with the company after the buyout. I was trained to be a hostler in about 2007 and did that plus dock work ever since. I started to drive for Fedex Freight early 2014, the incident happened March 3 2015. Doug was headed to Columbus from Cincinnati and his dolly blew a tire just an exit away from the Columbus terminal. I was already in Columbus working on the dock, was called into dispatch and asked to go grab his rear trailer and bring it back so the freight can be worked (remember it wasn't even a full exit away) around 0300. He had the hazards on, triangles out and was already unhooked and pulled away from the rear. I pulled off and hooked to the trailer, then got out to connect the lines. Doug came over to give me a hand. He was standing right behind me, when I turned to face him is when I saw the headlights of another semi headed towards us, in the right lane not getting over. Instead, I notice it going over the white line. I then reach out and grab him to pull him as close to my truck as I could. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful and we were stuck. (All of that happened in a matter of seconds) I then laid there against my front tire, with only one arm and leg working, trying to flag down anyone I could for a good 10 or 15 minutes. Someone did pull off and called it in, thankfully.

Update on me: I was left with a total of 14 breaks, collapsed lung, torn knee, about 1/3 of my left thigh torn off, paralyzed left arm due to a Brachial Plexus injury, metal rods in my whole left arm and one in my left femur, and of course scratches and bumps all over. I can proudly say I suffered no brain injury! (no more than I had anyway) I did stay completely conscious until I was put in the ambulance. I just had knee surgery in January, so I'll be walking again here soon. Had a surgery on my left arm they hope will give me some feeling and movement in about 10 months, but am still left with massive nerve pain in that arm I was told may never go again (feels like my arm is being crushed all day). I do know that I can never drive again or even work on the dock. Fedex did say I will always have a job there and they will find something for me. So I do plan to go back to school to give me more options. I am currently getting around 60% of my pay through workers comp and of course all of my medical bills are taken care of. I do also have a Gofundme set up, I wont ask or expect any to donate, but if you wish to you can do an easy Google on it. Thank you now to anyone who does.

No, this jackass was never caught! All I could tell from the truck that hit us was it's white, with headlights and from the bouncing I did it was a 48' or 53' trailer. AGAIN: This happened on I-70 E right at the Plain City on-ramp, any info would help! They also never found my left boot, who knows it could have gotten stuck on top of the trailer for a while...

Well, I'm Mike West(the other guy that was hit.) This is the first time I'm seeing all of this and thought I could give everyone an update, as well as tell you all exactly what happened that night.

For starters, I started working for Fedex in 2005 at age 20. At that time it was called Watkins, but went with the company after the buyout. I was trained to be a hostler in about 2007 and did that plus dock work ever since. I started to drive for Fedex Freight early 2014, the incident happened March 3 2015. Doug was headed to Columbus from Cincinnati and his dolly blew a tire just an exit away from the Columbus terminal. I was already in Columbus working on the dock, was called into dispatch and asked to go grab his rear trailer and bring it back so the freight can be worked (remember it wasn't even a full exit away) around 0300. He had the hazards on, triangles out and was already unhooked and pulled away from the rear. I pulled off and hooked to the trailer, then got out to connect the lines. Doug came over to give me a hand. He was standing right behind me, when I turned to face him is when I saw the headlights of another semi headed towards us, in the right lane not getting over. Instead, I notice it going over the white line. I then reach out and grab him to pull him as close to my truck as I could. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful and we were stuck. (All of that happened in a matter of seconds) I then laid there against my front tire, with only one arm and leg working, trying to flag down anyone I could for a good 10 or 15 minutes. Someone did pull off and called it in, thankfully.

Update on me: I was left with a total of 14 breaks, collapsed lung, torn knee, about 1/3 of my left thigh torn off, paralyzed left arm due to a Brachial Plexus injury, metal rods in my whole left arm and one in my left femur, and of course scratches and bumps all over. I can proudly say I suffered no brain injury! (no more than I had anyway) I did stay completely conscious until I was put in the ambulance. I just had knee surgery in January, so I'll be walking again here soon. Had a surgery on my left arm they hope will give me some feeling and movement in about 10 months, but am still left with massive nerve pain in that arm I was told may never go again (feels like my arm is being crushed all day). I do know that I can never drive again or even work on the dock. Fedex did say I will always have a job there and they will find something for me. So I do plan to go back to school to give me more options. I am currently getting around 60% of my pay through workers comp and of course all of my medical bills are taken care of. I do also have a Gofundme set up, I wont ask or expect any to donate, but if you wish to you can do an easy Google on it. Thank you now to anyone who does.

No, this jackass was never caught! All I could tell from the truck that hit us was it's white, with headlights and from the bouncing I did it was a 48' or 53' trailer. AGAIN: This happened on I-70 E right at the Plain City on-ramp, any info would help! They also never found my left boot, who knows it could have gotten stuck on top of the trailer for a while...
Hey Mike this is Richie im jus hearing about this now i am a ci drvr out of CGT VERY SAD HOPE THEY DO CATCH THE PERSON THAT CAUSED THIS PAIN FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME HERES MY E-MAIL [email protected]

A reminder to never take for granted how dangerous your job can be.

It's dangerous out there, no job, no load, nothing is worth your life.
Your family needs each and everyone out there..
Stay safe and get home alive.

R.I.P. fellow driver.
I just found this post which is the worst that could happen to a family; My question was he working at the time? If so workman comp well provide with a large sum of money now. Plus the widow well receive his pay check for years to come. Why is he not entitle to his comp? I just had a bad feeling that he might have been a independent employee if so you right they have nothing.

I just read this sad post I read about you friend that is so sad. I was afraid that you both where ground employee then you would have no comp so I glad you mention that but good luck to you.

Well I was going to post a link to the story the local news just did and it wont let me do it because I haven't passed 30 days of being a member or posted enough. Bahhhh!!

Would someone be so kind to met and post the link on here for me? And of course post it everywhere else please. Just Google
"Ohio State Highway Patrol seeks tips in fatal hit-and-run" and it will be the first thing to come up.

Thank you all again for all of your support and efforts in helping catch this POS that left me to die and left a poor little girl fatherless.