SAIA | fatality wreck

nightzonedriver57, Working 17 hours a day is against the law and i don't think anyone at Saia wanted you to do so!! I have never known anyone at Saia wanting anyone to lie on their log books!! Saia does its own audits and sends out papers to be signed for violations!! Just because you did it and didn't get caught doesn't mean everyone does it!! I have known people getting caught lying on a log and termination followed!! I have called because my 14 was up and nothing was said.. I was told to find a Hotel and take my 10.. I was sick bad one time and i called central.. They told me to find a hotel and called the closest terminal manager.. He came and got me and brought me to the hospital!! You break the law because you wanted to, Saia never told you to!!

been here 9+ yrs,ive never been told to forge logbook,nightzonedriver57 thank you for not working here, what happened to you=you let happen, grow up..........

My sympathies go out to the young lady and her family.I've only been told to "do what I have to do at Saia" That person was severely reprimanded by safety & Tony.I ran illegal in truckload& those days at working fo less than minumum wage are long over.

i have been here A couple of years and NEVER been told to run anything but legal. I have had 2 occurances where I could not run because I didn't have enough hours available and both times Central had no problem with it.

In fact I'm sure I would have been in trouble had I run.

nightzonedriver57, Working 17 hours a day is against the law and i don't think anyone at Saia wanted you to do so!! I have never known anyone at Saia wanting anyone to lie on their log books!! Saia does its own audits and sends out papers to be signed for violations!! Just because you did it and didn't get caught doesn't mean everyone does it!! I have known people getting caught lying on a log and termination followed!! I have called because my 14 was up and nothing was said.. I was told to find a Hotel and take my 10.. I was sick bad one time and i called central.. They told me to find a hotel and called the closest terminal manager.. He came and got me and brought me to the hospital!! You break the law because you wanted to, Saia never told you to!!

I have to say this. I have seen Saia tell a driver to stay out after 15 hours. It was a city run, with a new driver, not familiar with the area, and some of our EG shipments were to be picked up. City dispatch would not send another driver 35 minutes from the terminal to get these pickups. He let the other drivers go home knowing the problem was at hand. Not once, but this has happened on several occassions. Not just to this one driver either. Saftey is not an issue when it come to saving money for the bigwigs BOUNUS.

one simple word no and thats all I can say to you stick up for yourself and use the chain of command it does work

I have to say this. I have seen Saia tell a driver to stay out after 15 hours. It was a city run, with a new driver, not familiar with the area, and some of our EG shipments were to be picked up. City dispatch would not send another driver 35 minutes from the terminal to get these pickups. He let the other drivers go home knowing the problem was at hand. Not once, but this has happened on several occassions. Not just to this one driver either. Saftey is not an issue when it come to saving money for the bigwigs BOUNUS.

If all this can be substantiated by more thatn just one persons word and the same management is still in place I would suggest that a timely note to upper management might cure that problem as that action can create rather substantial problems for the company other than missing some Extreme Guarantee pickups. The fines alone would negate any additional revenue received on those shipments.

I hate to say it, but SAIA has some of the fastest trucks out here in the west (OR and WA), and they are used to the fullest extent of their speedo. We are locked at 60 and SAIA blows my doors off regularly. Just last night (8-2-07), SAIA blew by with no lights on the back box, the door wide open, and a load lock about to fall out the door. I don't like the image that SAIA portrays out on the roads. My 2 cents is done...........

First off: Prayers go out to the family.

Secondly, I'd have to agree with your post. The Saia drivers I've come across on the road drive like maniacs. (Not all are like that) They speed in all conditions and I have been uncomfortably passed up and cut back into, with inches to spare. What kind of message are they trying to convey? That they are the fastest on the roads? I'd hate to see what winter brings.
Use the darn Smith System!!!

Again, I am only commenting on the Saia drivers that I have come across in the Midwest area driving the interstates. I'm sure there are many safe Saia drivers out there.

:chairshot: you make a pretty broad statment Ive only been driving for roughly 20 years and you could sit back and say that about any trucking company and Ive driven 48 states and canada. But yeah we have some bad apples but who doesnt this can be said about any company hell last night UPS not UPS freight , was passing me and we tried to reach him on there channel and 19 and get his attention but he was dragging both of his chains on his dolley

i can top that one i was going up I40 in nc.one night and got passed "imagine that" by a road truck and seen sparks out of my spot mirror and heard scraping noises the guys landing gear hadnt been rolled up and he was doing at least 70 yet he would answer nobody on the radio .

I hate to say it, but SAIA has some of the fastest trucks out here in the west (OR and WA), and they are used to the fullest extent of their speedo. We are locked at 60 and SAIA blows my doors off regularly. Just last night (8-2-07), SAIA blew by with no lights on the back box, the door wide open, and a load lock about to fall out the door. I don't like the image that SAIA portrays out on the roads. My 2 cents is done...........

Well we are locked into about 63 miles an hour in east and they say 65 but actually running about 63 envy guys in west but not that way in east but still have long dispatches like we have the equitment

i can top that one i was going up I40 in nc.one night and got passed "imagine that" by a road truck and seen sparks out of my spot mirror and heard scraping noises the guys landing gear hadnt been rolled up and he was doing at least 70 yet he would answer nobody on the radio .

Well,

I have to admit i love running with my landing gear down!! The sparks a so beautiful on a dark clear night!! Not to mention it makes drops and hooks go so much faster!! One can ague also that you can't have a dropped trailer with the landing gear already down!! ITS ALL ABOUT JOB SECURITY BABY!! :funky:

Gear down and locked

Not to mention you get all kinds of attention.

Kinda reminds me of the car hauling days when a chain would get loose and leave a lovely trail of sparks going down the road. :smilie_132:

Of course one eventually finds out when one of those unseen humps in the road rises up to meet ya. Now that is a really good way to stay awake at night.:hide:

Brother Trucker,

I have to admit chains are pretty sparking going down the road!! But nothing and i mean NOTHING looks better than landing gear lighting up the HWY!!! Can you imagine the sparks and sweet sound of metal being dragged down the hwy at 70 miles per hour!!! I could only imagine the red glow of the gear when that driver finally stopped!! I bet he light a cigar and sat back and said that's the way its done baby!!

Brother Trucker,

I have to admit chains are pretty sparking going down the road!! But nothing and i mean NOTHING looks better than landing gear lighting up the HWY!!! Can you imagine the sparks and sweet sound of metal being dragged down the hwy at 70 miles per hour!!! I could only imagine the red glow of the gear when that driver finally stopped!! I bet he light a cigar and sat back and said that's the way its done baby!!

Plus it makes the troopers job easier to find the driver. Just follow the scrape marks on the highway. I'll bet the grease on the landing gear legs warms up rather well, making it easier to roll up whats left.:hysterical:

He ran a regular run turn out of JAX to TPA and that was an extra run
What is your pay route to Oca. or Tmp. from Jax. Doubles have no business on these local back roads. Shouldn't you run 295 to 10 to 301 or 16 thru starke to 301? Just curious small goat trails leave no room for error

SAIA trailer down

speaking of wrecks, i noticed one of your trailers laying on it's side after being involved in that nasty wreck in C.A. go to CNN.Com to check out the video.