FedEx Freight | Fed ex jobs

ElcaminoMan

TB Lurker
Credits
I have been reading the threads here, and am a little freaked out.
I have been seriously thinking about getting into the business, but it seems like "the greatest co. in the world" has been in alot of turmoil this last year.
It would be a life changing decission for me, and would hate to be stuck in something I wouldn't be happy with.
I am not a truck driver right now, but am looking to get into a school and get all the certs to go all the way.
I'm 43 and have no future with the work I've done for so long. Am I on the wrong road or not?
Looking for input.
Thanks
Doug

Well driving a truck is different, it will consume you its like a way of life. Its not 9-5 and for the most part not a Mon-Fri job. If ya single or have no kids its not to bad if you want to see the US. It can be very upsetting if you have kids, its hard to be in the right place at the right time.There are some Mon- FRi jobs, most of them are hard to get but they are out there. You won't get rich and you will earn every dollar you get. To be honest if you don't have an education you will be very lucky to find a job that will pay more than trucking. A LTL company will be the most stable job in the business and pay the best for what you do. The trucking industry isn't getting any easier but neither is life .

My daughters are all grown up. I don't have to worry about the no "9 to 5" thing. I would be pretty much free to work as much as I can.
I'll just need to find a company that will pay for my school.

Stop by a truckstop, in the drivers area you will find some industry magizines that are full of applications and they also show the ones will driving schools. But be careful some of the companies have lease programs where you purchase a truck from them while your with them, stay away from those don't lease a truck from any company you work for. If you want to buy a truck, do it yourself with your own financing. Good luck in your travels and come back to the boards for any information your looking for about trucking

ElcaminoMan said:
My daughters are all grown up. I don't have to worry about the no "9 to 5" thing. I would be pretty much free to work as much as I can.
old dominion will train you. and all you have to do to pay them back is stay one year.

ElcaminoMan said:
Ok. Thanks.
Are they a good company to work for?
And where are their schools? If you know?
you have to conact your local terminal and they will give all the info you need.

ElcaminoMan said:
I have been reading the threads here, and am a little freaked out.
I have been seriously thinking about getting into the business, but it seems like "the greatest co. in the world" has been in alot of turmoil this last year.
It would be a life changing decission for me, and would hate to be stuck in something I wouldn't be happy with.
I am not a truck driver right now, but am looking to get into a school and get all the certs to go all the way.
I'm 43 and have no future with the work I've done for so long. Am I on the wrong road or not?
Looking for input.
Thanks
Doug
If you have a good work record and good work ethics. Fedex Freight will not only train you but will make you full time while you are learning. I am sure they will start the same program at national.

I've been with the same company for 8 years now. We do water and fire damage restoration. I just can't do it any more. It's too hard on the back.
I'll always be in pain, but at least I'll be making good money.
I only bring home $300-$400 a week now.
My boss will bumb BIG TIME when he finds out I'm leaving. I am the biggest factor in his company. But all I hear is how broke he always is, even tho he makes $300,000 to $800,000 a year! LOL

ElcaminoMan said:

I know ABF has a driver training program

If you want to get your cdl. The best way I think would be to get with an LTL that will put you in there own school. Most will do it for little of nothing! some for free. Someone told me this but I rushed and went to a Truck driving school and paid $5500:duh: just to get a job at Con way and find out they had a free school (must work dock for $13HRS after class) and they dont make you sign any contract! Well not at NAt. And if your fresh out of any school its very hard to get with any LTL. Thats why its better to start with one.

ElcaminoMan said:
I've been with the same company for 8 years now. We do water and fire damage restoration. I just can't do it any more. It's too hard on the back.
I'll always be in pain, but at least I'll be making good money.
I only bring home $300-$400 a week now.
My boss will bumb BIG TIME when he finds out I'm leaving. I am the biggest factor in his company. But all I hear is how broke he always is, even tho he makes $300,000 to $800,000 a year! LOL
if you get into ltl your take home will easily double but beware this job is also brutal on the back. make no mistakes about that.