Averitt | FEDERAL cellphone laws coming, any thoughts?

Iceman

Company Man
Credits
First of all, Averitt has a hands free policy on the books now. Fedex and YRC prohibit them all together in their trucks. I love my Blue Parrot, always use it whatever I'm driving. Let me throw this out there, if the Federal Government bans cellphones all together, how is it different that being told how fast I can drive my car? I lived and trucked for years without wireless communication, I'm sure I will survive if it is outlawed.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's next...banning radios, talking to passangers, drinking coffee??? perfect example of government trying to micro manage our lives...

Like most of this crap, I will strictly ignore it. I, myself, use a Blue Parrot always and will do anything to avoid talking on the phone itself. However, if my wife or one of my kids call me and my Blue Parrot is dead for whatever reason, there is a 100% chance I am going to answer the phone.

Averitt also has a handgun ban according to their cute little rule book. By law, I am allowed to carry it in the parking lot and on the road. Want to know if I have mine with me? Come messing around my cab doors.

This isn't about Averitt's policy that's been around forever, I'm referring to the new federal laws on the horizon. I just threw our corporate policy in there for reference, sorry for the confusion. Personally I would rather gamble on me keeping my job if I fell alseep on the yard and rolled over in the fuel bay verses being caught with a hand gun.

As for the federal policy, I think personally that if it applies to truckers it should also include EVERY motorist on the road, period. What's good for the goose right? Also require that EVERY motorist on the road be screened on random drug screens, breath alcohol tests, and be subjected to background checks and fingerprints every five years and have to absorb the cost of securing said procedures to maintain your license.

Personally I don't worry about being searched. It's similar to the 3 out of every 7 nights this premises is armed. Care to choose which night? Have you ever had your cab searched by ANYONE? EVER? I don't think it is anything to worry about. I don't know about Tn. laws but Tx. law says I have a right to carry anywhere, especially with my CHL. Doesn't federal law trump local law (AE's policy). I think so and would win that one in court. Again, I would hesitate to mess around my cab on any given night. Never know when your lucky number may pop up.

As for the wireless device ban...I am not worried about it. Don't think it will happen but if it does, I will still have my phone with me. I view it like the handgun issue. If you don't get caught, it's not illegal. Think I'm nuts? So be it

I carry a deputy badge ,along with my carry permit, which trumps all federal policies on the book for carrying. But I have never wished I had my pistol with me in the truck. What do you do with the sleep meds policy Averitt has? They are legal but prohibited at Averitt.My thoughts are Averitt says no, same with we must wear uniforms, no smoking in the building, no beards etc. Company policy when ignored will land a person unemployed. I follow the rules as set forth by my employer, the one who signs my check. If I disagree and chose to disobey the set guide lines that are in place, then I have chose my future. I can't imagine coming home and facing my family with shame and tell them I have made a dumb decision and lost my job of 23 years. I know you, Lifer, and I strongly disagree on my view of life, but I will say it again, if I die while following the rules so be it. I will face my God shameless knowing that I was living a life of integrity verses facing him as a result of my civil and or
corporate disobedience. Not to mention the grief my family would have to overcome knowing things would have been different if I have chose the right path.

I am seeing more and more beards at my house. I am sure they all have doctor notes. My truck has never been searched. Don't really worry nor think about it either.

I agree with lifer, better to have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it.( Dying is not much of a living. ) I don't mind not using my phone as long as we have some way of getting in touch with breakdown when our aging daycabs lay down on us.

AE likes to look at themselves as the nanny in all kinds of areas. But then again they have been this way since I started working here.