FedEx Freight | FedEx Corp Reports Third Quarter Earnings

Again the federal mandate is for elogs thats it. I doubt they got the cameras for free if they purchaed the tablets, would have been a heck of a deal if they did. They could have purchased the tablets alone if they wanted too. My point is don't spend money on something that's not required then whine on financial report about it.

I guess that's kind of my point.....we don't really know if it added much additional cost, or even if that was what drove the costs elaborated on the report. Is it possible that the Peoplenet system was determined to be the best system that met the required elogs and the additional telematics were just part of what came in the package?

Cost effective only if it works out and they would have approved the 33 ft trailers otherwise we would have a bunch of 33 ft city trailers. :scratchhead: Bad decisions can hurt the bottom line in a hury.

I don't disagree, but I would think that calculated gambles in areas like that would save quite a bit of money in the long run when they guess correctly.

BTW, we do have quite a few 33 ft trailers that were purchased in anticipation.....

I guess that's kind of my point.....we don't really know if it added much additional cost, or even if that was what drove the costs elaborated on the report. Is it possible that the Peoplenet system was determined to be the best system that met the required elogs and the additional telematics were just part of what came in the package?

No i would think your average small trucking company would just buy the actual tablet because of the extra cost of cameras. IMO

I don't disagree, but I would think that calculated gambles in areas like that would save quite a bit of money in the long run when they guess correctly.

BTW, we do have quite a few 33 ft trailers that were purchased in anticipation.....

I guess the extra few ft in the city would be nice but that was a gamble we lost on. Its tough to gamble and loose.

You can't buy an iPad or any other tablet I'm aware of without a camera, it's standard equipment. Maybe the tablets Fedex bought came with the camera as part of the package and no choice to delete them.

You can't buy an iPad or any other tablet I'm aware of without a camera, it's standard equipment. Maybe the tablets Fedex bought came with the camera as part of the package and no choice to delete them.

Were not talking about the camera on the actual tablet. It is not used anyways.

I would think there are times where that would be the most cost effective way to do things. Do we wait for the model year of tractors to order them with known upcoming or reasonably anticipated EPA mandates, only to have to go back and upgrade a large percentage of our fleet, or do we begin purchasing them prior to that year in order to avoid a more costly process of upgrading?
Another fine example of why we don't need the "members" trying to tell the company how to run a business!!
Again the federal mandate is for elogs thats it. I doubt they got the cameras for free if they purchaed the tablets, would have been a heck of a deal if they did. They could have purchased the tablets alone if they wanted too. My point is don't spend money on something that's not required then whine on financial report about it.