Estes | few questions about OTR Regional

nctruckin

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi all! I put in an application with Estes back in mid-March. They called me back for an interview 2 weeks later. Interview went great. Got a call yesterday to go do drug/physical. Will be doing that on Monday, she did tell me after that it's my background check...which could take a month or so, depending on courthouses(criminal) and guessing my current employer. So, I'll be out of Greensboro, NC terminal....and yes I'll be starting at 1700...which is fine, ya gotta start somewhere and I understand I have to start at the bottom...no worries. But, usually, will I be going into the Northeast? Will I stay in the Southeast? Or will it usually switch off week to week? I have about 5 years driving experience and was told I'll be going out with a trainer(since I have no doubles experience)...but for how long? Feel sorry for the trainer, those passenger seats in daycabs have no air ride! haha Once I start, after my first year or two, would it be possible to bid on an earlier start time.....say 1300 instead of 1700? Also, I've noticed all the new Kenworth trucks.....I have satellite radio....got an attachment for my antenna, it's a bar that would go where the overhanging mirror is on passenger side, would they be ok with me using that? I believe I get my own assigned truck.....and I'm sure it'll be an older truck, no problem with that, it's not like I'm moving my house(like I do now, when I get a new truck!)! haha Also, how long does 'orientation' usually last? Would I go in say 8-5 one day....watch videos, do hazmat test, fill out paperwork, etc then next day go in at 1700? Thank you for your time!

Start time for otr? You will have a start day being extra board. It'll be a while before you get a schedule run. All depends where they need you. Don't tell them where you want to run. You'll never see it. Just take the run given to you and don't complain.

yes....if you read other posts on here...and was told in interview start time would be 1700 on Wednesday. I don't care where I go....just wondering if it'll be more of a majority of NE or SE. I have a friend that does extra, at another company, that does primarily NE, out of Greensboro....but then again he knows people at his company that does primarily SE. Was just wondering. for the money, I'll do the same runs, doesn't bother me....plus I'll know where to eat/etc.

Well did drug and physical this past monday. Tuesday filled out everything online for background check. And now it's been completed(of course my whole record is clean). So looks like I'll be getting a call anyday now, to turn in my 2 week notice. I have 2 weeks of vacation with my current company, so I'm just gonna give a weeks notice and take a week off...why not?

Good luck with all this. This is not a perfect place to work but if you do your job than you don't have to worry much. And if you have any questions please ask someone on here or at any terminal. If you can get some good miles than you can make a good living. Just take your time and be careful out there.

from what I've seen miles IS trucking! It's all good...I'll make more here than where I was at! I ALWAYS do my job....EPES was begging me to stay....I told them to match and said what I would be at at Estes.....they couldn't match! DUH! haha

from what I've seen miles IS trucking! It's all good...I'll make more here than where I was at! I ALWAYS do my job....EPES was begging me to stay....I told them to match and said what I would be at at Estes.....they couldn't match! DUH! haha
Yeah the truckload company's won't ever be willing to pay the money that the LTLs pay even to keep a good driver which is a shame. But it is what it is. Hope you will be able to enjoy it here. As anywhere there is good and bad. But for most there are good people and most will help you and work with you. I'm in and out of GBO quite a bit and every where you go is run a little different but mostly all the same. Good luck to you and be safe.

After you've been here a while, it's easy to get desensitized to how much money we really make here and forget how good we really have it. When I started here 6 years ago, I got a 10¢ per mile pay increase over my last job and since then it's gone up 17¢ more. It'd sure be hard to leave here...
Sometimes we all get aggravated by some things that they do here. But for the money it will definitely be better than most truckload company's. But all in all it is not a bad job. I have done about every kind of job here and they all have a certain kinds of problems but it usually takes some patients and just try to do the best job you can do. I've lefted and came back because of the money and thankful to have the job.

It's hard to find rocket scientists for each position. Just have to be patient with some folks. I've been written up for some stupid shyte over the years but it's never been nothing a few shots of Jim beam didn't fix

It's hard to find rocket scientists for each position. Just have to be patient with some folks. I've been written up for some stupid shyte over the years but it's never been nothing a few shots of Jim beam didn't fix
Hey don't tell them that we aren't flying rockets it's took me a long time to make them think that's what they told us we would be doing.

Yeah the truckload company's won't ever be willing to pay the money that the LTLs pay even to keep a good driver which is a shame. But it is what it is. Hope you will be able to enjoy it here. As anywhere there is good and bad. But for most there are good people and most will help you and work with you. I'm in and out of GBO quite a bit and every where you go is run a little different but mostly all the same. Good luck to you and be safe.
I'm sure I'll meet you if you are out of GSO yard...I'm kinda NOT hard to miss! haha and thank you, I know all jobs CAN be the same....but 'General Freight' is just awful, for me! Tied of being ripped a new one by GF! Glad my truck broke down at Randleman Rd, yesterday(AFTER I turned in my notice)....I was gonna work.....but guess not! hehe